2017년 1월 2일 월요일

The Goddess of Reason 42

The Goddess of Reason 42


DE VARDES
 
I love!
 
YVETTE
 
_Me?_
 
DE VARDES
 
Thou sayest.
 
YVETTE
 
Where is the music playing?
 
DE VARDES
 
Long ago,
To Paris and my King I rode away,
Long ago, in the freshness of the world!
I left thee there, all safe in convent fold
Fair were the fruit trees in that garden old,
Warm shone the sun, the silver fountain played.
I left thee there and thought to find again,
When King and Crown were saved and devoir done,
The battle o’er, the bugles sounding peace!
The King he is in heaven, the Crown is lost,
The battle’s to the strong, the war drum rattles on.
Long lay I in the prison of La Force;
A dream I had that thou wouldst wait for me,
Beside the fountain, by the bright fruit trees.
Thou must have known that bars kept me from thee!
Thou must have known that I did love thee true!
Thou must have known that I did longing wait
The rainbow after storm, the halcyon time
When, stilled the jar and discord of the mind,
The all unfettered heart might speak of love!
But ah, the garden’s sealed. Thou art not there!
Thou wouldst not wait the while
 
YVETTE
 
Outside I kneel;
Outside the garden, outside Paradise!
Oh, woe! Oh, bliss!
 
DE VARDES
 
Weep not!
 
YVETTE
 
I love thee so!
 
DE VARDES
 
Paimpont! Paimpont! I feel thy magic wind!
 
_Reënter_ GRÉGOIRE.
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
Citoyen Vardes
 
YVETTE
 
Grégoire, Grégoire! the purse
The purse of gold!
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
Hein?
 
DE VARDES
 
Let be! Let be!
No purse was there! Dost hear, dost hear, Yvette?
No purse, no gold, no paper, no Lalain!
Thou dost not think that I would take my life?
 
YVETTE
 
No!
 
DE VARDES
 
Well said, and like the Duchess Jeanne!
Let not Grégoire mistake thee either!
 
YVETTE
 
I said I know not what, Grégoire, nor why!
Sometimes a woman says she knows not what.
Why should I talk of purses, faith, now why!
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
What do you here, Citoyenne?
 
YVETTE
 
I know not.
I strayed this way, a gaoler let me in.
‘Tis of the sights of Nantes, this church, this gaol!
 
GRÉGOIRE (_to_ DE VARDES)
 
I have in charge to guard you through the street
To the old Prison of the Séminaire.
They who lodge there go onward to the Loire!
 
[_He turns to_ DE L’ORIENT.
 
DE VARDES (_to_ YVETTE)
 
Oh, sunken eyes! Oh, cheek so deadly pale!
Oh, rest thee, rest thee, child, in still Morbec!
Our Lady guard thee, guide thee with her hand.
Farewell
 
YVETTE
 
I’ll walk upon the banks of Loire.
 
DE VARDES
 
No; come not there!
 
YVETTE
 
I must. It is my road.
 
GRÉGOIRE (_He touches_ DE L’ORIENT _upon the shoulder_)
 
Awake, poet, and go along with us!
 
DE L’ORIENT
 
I am awake! ‘Tis trudge again, De Vardes!
 
_Come, Fanchon and Babette,
Olympe and Joséphine!
The dancers all are met
Within the forest green!
Cerise to me,
Denise to thee,
But none to Léontine!_
 
[_He turns with_ GRÉGOIRE _to the door at left of the
altar_.
 
DE VARDES
 
Farewellmy _douce_!
 
YVETTE
 
Farewellmy fisherman!
Oh
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
Come!
 
DE L’ORIENT
 
_The dancers all are met
Within the forest green!_
 
[_Exeunt_ DE VARDES, DE L’ORIENT, _and_ GRÉGOIRE.
_The church darkens._ YVETTE _moves to the choir
step_.
 
YVETTE
 
Oh, love in my heart! Oh, splendour and light!
The bow in the sky, the bird at its height!
The glory and state of the angels bright!
 
[_She kneels and stretches out her arms to the altar._
   

댓글 없음: