2017년 1월 2일 월요일

The Goddess of Reason 47r


YVETTE
 
I am coming.
 
[_She descends the stair. Men and women clutch her
and thrust her forward to the bar._
 
I am here!
I am Yvette, called Right of the Seigneur.
My mother was the peasant girl, Yvonne;
My father was the Baron of Morbec.
I am tired of _Ça ira, Carmagnole_,
I would sleep with the Loire for my pillow!
 
THE CROWD
 
Ahhh!
 
LALAIN
 
A head beside thine on that pillow!
 
DE VARDES
 
Mon Dieu!
 
YVETTE
 
Perhaps, Citoyen!
 
A VOICE
 
I denounce
Yvette Charruel!
 
OTHER VOICES
 
And I!And I!And I!
 
_CURTAIN_
 
 
SCENE II
 
_The banks of the Loire. Night. Branching trees; between their
trunks is seen the river. There is a full moon, but a drifting
mist obscures the scene. In the background, upon the river bank,
dimly appears a crowd of the condemned, men, women, and children,
soldiers and executioners of the Company of Marat. From this
throng comes a low, continued, confused sound of command,
entreaty, distress, and lamentation. In the foreground the
condemned form into groups or move singly to and fro._
 
_Enter_ YVETTE _from the shadow of the trees_.
 
A SOLDIER (_following her_)
 
Holà! Give us not the slip!
 
YVETTE
 
Thou soldier!
There is no gold could make me flee this place!
How long dost think before they throw me in?
 
THE SOLDIER
 
A little while!
 
[_He returns to the river._ YVETTE _sits upon the
earth at the foot of a tree, and with her chin upon
her hand watches those who come and go_.
 
YVETTE
 
He comes not yet! O Our Lady!
I would not drown till I have seen him once!
 
A WOMAN (_passing with a man_)
 
How shines the moon! Did we not always say,
We two would die by such a moon as this?
Rememberest thou
 
THE MAN
 
Rememberest thou that night,
That Versailles night within the Orangerie?
 
THE WOMAN
 
Rememberest thou
 
[_They pass._
 
A SOLDIER (_calling to another_)
 
To bind them hand and foot,
We need more rope!
 
THE SECOND SOLDIER
 
Just thrust them in the stream
With bayonets!
 
A CRY FROM THE RIVER
 
Miséricorde!
 
[_A child with flowers in her hand speaks to_ YVETTE.
 
THE CHILD
 
I’m tired
 
YVETTE
 
Rest here, thou little bird!
 
THE CHILD
 
My name’s Aimée.
I did not know that flowers grew at night.
Is that the moon?
 
YVETTE
 
It is the silver moon!
Aimée’s a pretty name. My name’s Yvette.
 
THE CHILD
 
Kiss me, YvetteI’ll look now for Ursule!
 
YVETTE
 
Who is Ursule?
 
THE CHILD
 
My _bonne_Adieu, Yvette!
 
[_The child passes on._
 
VOICES FROM THE RIVER
 
Hélas! Hélas! Miséricorde!
 
[_A nun advances from the shadow. She is in ecstasy,
her hands clasped, her eyes raised._
 
THE NUN
 
The skies open: heaven appears!
Heaven my home!
O for the wings of the dove,
The eagle’s speed!
The gates of pearl are opening,
My harp is strung.
The Virgins come to meet me.
Sainte Agnès, Sainte Claire!
Our Lady stoops to greet me.
My father smiles.
My brothers two I see there!
Who is that one
Who kneels and to me beckons?
‘Tis he I loved!
What radiance grows, what splendour?
Who waiting stands?
Light! O Light! O Christ my Lord!
Heaven my home!
O Love! O Death, come quickly!
I would be gone!
 
[_A soldier touches her on the arm._
 
THE SOLDIER
 
Thy time it is!
 
[_The nun regards him with a radiant and dazzling
smile, then turns and moves swiftly before him to the

댓글 없음: