2017년 1월 2일 월요일

The Goddess of Reason 46

The Goddess of Reason 46


LALAIN
 
No?
 
DE VARDES
 
No!
 
LALAIN
 
Thou mightst have had thy life
 
DE VARDES
 
I?
 
[_He laughs._
 
YVETTE
 
Air!
You hem me in, Citoyennes! Air! _De grâce!_
 
NANON
 
The air is good enough for us, Yvette!
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
Why do you grow so pale, so pale, Yvette?
 
[YVETTE _takes from her hair the bonnet-rouge_.
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Psst! Little fool! Put on the cap again!
 
YVETTE
 
It is too heavy!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Saint Yves! Put it on!
 
DE VARDES
 
The duel’s o’er; the night is drawing on;
Dark is thy form against the crimson sky,
Rémond Lalain! Stand further off, my foe!
And now I think I see thee not at all,
And that is well! I would forget thee quite.
Live out thy life unto its sordid close!
Live on, and in the future find the past!
But while thou treadest earth touch not again
That flower I spoke of! Touch it not, Lalain!
 
LALAIN
 
Draws on the night
 
DE VARDES
 
I’ll bathe me in the Loire!
Death has been ever called a River wide.
This ford I fear not!Soldier of the King,
I’ll pass the stream, though cold, though cold and dark!
The bivouac lights are shining through the trees,
He waits within my tent, my General!
 
FIRST JUDGE
 
Death!
 
SECOND JUDGE
 
Death!
 
DE VARDES
 
Now sheath thy sword, Rémond!
The field of honour leave to death and me!
 
[_He crosses to the condemned._
 
COUNT LOUIS
 
Monsieur le Baron!
 
THE ABBÉ
 
René de Vardes!
 
DE VARDES
 
Monsieur le Comte, Monsieur l’Abbé, again
I find myself in best of company!
 
[_The judges whisper together._ LALAIN, _his eyes
upon the floor, drums upon the table with his hand_.
YVETTE _unpins the tricolour cockade from her breast,
gazes upon it for a moment, then throws it from her.
The women about her watch her greedily._
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Name of a name! Yvette!
 
YVETTE
 
I like white best.
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Saint Gildas! Saint Maudez!
 
YVETTE
 
I ever loved
The fleur-de-lis!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Saint Yves le Véridique!
 
YVETTE (_She rises_)
 
_God and the King!_
 
[_Uproar in the hall. All turn toward the gallery._
 
A JUDGE
 
Who cried that?
 
A BRETON SAILOR
 
Sainte Vierge!
Yvette Charruel!
 
LALAIN
 
No!
 
DE VARDES
 
Mon Dieu!
 
THE CROWD
 
Yvette
Yvette Charruel!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Saint Servan! Saint Linaire!
 
YVETTE
 
I denounce the Citoyen Rémond Lalain!
 
THE CROWD
 
Ah!
 
NANON
 
Ah, let me get at her!
 
LALAIN
 
Citoyens!
Heed her notshe’s mad!The next prisoner!
 
YVETTE
 
I denounce Carrier and Lambertye!
Chicanneau, Sarlat, Petit-Pierre, and Gaye,
The Company of Marat, the hideous deaths,
The Noyades and the Dragonades of Nantes!
I tell you that the blood you shed must stop!
One cannot sleep at night with thinking on’t.
You put to sleep, O God! too many!
 
THE CROWD
 
Ah!
 
A VOICE

댓글 없음: