2015년 10월 26일 월요일

Dick Kent on Special Duty 25

Dick Kent on Special Duty 25


A slight pause while Rand cleared his throat and turned more of the
pages.
 
“December 2, 1911.I’m happy tonight. This afternoon Lipton agreed to
sell me that wonderful Chinese chest. I paid him two thousand dollars
for it without once blinking an eye. At that, I’m lucky to get it.
Lipton wouldn’t have parted with it for twice that sum eight months ago.
I’m afraid he’s been buying so much real estate that he’s short of cash.
Whatever his motive, I’m exceedingly grateful to him.”
 
Wyatt slid forward in his chair.
 
“Yes! Yes!” he exclaimed excitedly. “Read on.”
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXIII
LEAVES FROM AN OLD DIARY
 
 
Dick and Sandy turned from their inspection of the treasure.
 
“What’s that you’ve been reading?” Sandy demanded.
 
“Dewberry’s diary.”
 
“Is that the book I handed you a few moments ago?”
 
“Yes,” the answer came from Corporal Rand. “I believe it will prove of
invaluable assistance to us in this case.”
 
The corporal still held the book in his lap, and seemed loath to
discontinue its perusal. The excerpts he had read aloud to Wyatt had
still further excited his curiosity, a curiosity which was shared by the
other policeman. The man from the Peace River Detachment consulted his
watch.
 
“It’s only three o’clock, Rand,” he pointed out. “We still have plenty
of time at our disposal. I’d enjoy hearing more from that book. Why not
continue, corporal?”
 
Rand turned the pages at random, his keen blue eyes glancing over the
contents. In a clear, musical voice he continued:
 
“November 12, 1912.Why is it that my chest from Honan continues to
fascinate me? Sitting here at home this evening, my thoughts dwelt upon
it. Twice I opened it and removed the trays, one by one, with the rapt
interest of a child; removed them and placed them on the floor beside
me. How indescribably bare it looks. I’m sure it wasn’t like that during
the Ming dynasty.
 
“November 17, 1912.Today I finished reading Marco Polo’s wonderful
narrative. Very naturally, it turned my thoughts to the chest. I’m
obsessed with a whimsical fancy. My chest, I am quite sure, was at one
time the depository for the jewels and wealth of the great Ming himself.
I visualize all those mysterious compartments overflowing with the
treasure from seven seas. This one contained diamonds; this one rubies;
this one sapphires and emeralds. In the remaining trays there are
quantities of silver and gold. Just to heighten the illusion, I have
placed the contents of three pokes in one of the trays. Then I locked it
up. I, too, shall have my treasure.”
 
Corporal Rand ceased reading. Dick and Sandy laughed.
 
“Queer old duck, wasn’t he?” Dick commented. “Well, I don’t know as I
blame him any. It is mysterious.”
 
Corporal Rand did not reply. He turned a few pages idly, then read
again:
 
“June 2, 1913.I have found the Crystal Lode. Could scarcely believe my
good fortune. Came upon it more by accident than design. Tremendously
rich. Here and there, I found evidences of the workings of old Dave
Crystal. Will be compelled to keep this a secret. Took out over a
thousand dollars yesterday.”
 
“Whew!” gasped Sandy.
 
Rand was excited too. He turned the pages more quickly.
 
“October 1, 1914.I’m back at the Crossing earlier than usual this year.
Brought a good deal of gold with me. Raced it in the chest. It will soon
be filled to overflowing. The depository of the great Ming has come into
its own.
 
“November 10, 1914.Lipton would smile if he knew what I was up to.
Todaythe third since my arrival in EdmontonI converted nearly eight
thousand dollars worth of gold from the Crystal Lode into precious
stones. The jewelers here must think I am mad. Almost overnight, I have
changed my vocation. In place of being a collector of rare old books and
antiques, I have become a connoisseur of gems.
 
“November 12, 1914.Professor Bof the University of Alberta, had lunch
with me at the Cecil Hotel. Our talk was on various subjects but finally
I led him, rather adroitly, I think, to a topic which, at present, is my
all-absorbing passion. Did Professor Bknow anything about jewelry,
precious stones? He did. I have yet to touch upon a subject he is not
interested in. During our conversation, he happened to mention casually
that the Dalton’s, who are very wealthy people here, possess what is
undoubtedly the most valuable sapphire in this country. I think I must
have pricked up my ears at this information. During the rest of the day,
I could think of nothing else. Perhaps tomorrow I shall pluck up enough
courage to go and see Dalton.
 
“November 13, 1914.The Dalton sapphire is mine. Paid forty thousand for
it. Dalton is not an agreeable person to deal with. I almost came away
without it. Was forced to draw on my account at the Bank of Montreal.
Dalton demanded a certified check and made a number of pertinent
inquiries over the telephone. In spite of his haughty manner, he must
need the money. Didn’t even offer to shake hands with me at parting.”
 
Rand closed the book, pointing at the chest.
 
“It’s easy to see now where he got those things. For years he’s been
converting the gold from the Crystal Lode into precious stones.”
 
“Merely to satisfy a whim,” smiled Wyatt.
 
A moment later Rand resumed reading:
 
“August 8, 1915.What an inconceivable ass I am. Yesterday in some
unaccountable manner, I lost my note-book. I have been in the habit,
while away on these prospecting trips, of writing each day’s events in a
note-book, and later copying them in my diary at home. Hope no one ever
finds it. ‘My thoughts are precious things’ and I wouldn’t care to have
some fool laughing over them. Also, I fear that in the book I made
mention of the chest. Worse luck!”
 
A sudden silence followed the reading of this last excerpt. Then Wyatt
rose to his feet and began pacing up and down the floor.
 
“That has a direct bearing on this case,” he announced suddenly.
“MacGregor must have found that note-bookor Creel or Frischette.... Any
of those scoundrels. It’s the only possible way they could have learned
of the existence of this chest and the two keys Dewberry carried with
him. I am as sure of that as I am that I am standing here.”
 
“Extremely likely,” admitted Rand.
 
“Of course. And if we can determine which one of those men found the
note-book, we’ll have some valuable evidence.”
 
“It may force a confession from them,” said Rand. “Just before we came
down here, as you remember, Inspector Cameron endeavored to
cross-examine them. It was useless. Well, I haven’t lost hope that we
may succeed next time. I’ll take this diary with me.”
 
“May I look at it?” requested Sandy, holding out his hands.
 
“What about the treasure?” asked Dick. “What will we do with the chest?”
 
“Our inspector will attend to that,” answered Wyatt. “Probably will be
removed to the new Bank of Commerce, just recently established here.”
 
“There are two likely places, where one might find that note-book,”
mused Rand, “at Creel’s and Frischette’s.”
 
“We can stop at both places on our way back,” suggested Dick.
 
“A good idea. Then there’s MacGregor’s shack too, I
 
“Listen to this,” interrupted Sandy, waving one arm about excitedly.
 
In his haste to open it, the diary slipped from his trembling fingers
and fell to the floor. Picking it up, he experienced some difficulty in
finding the right page again. The others waited impatiently. Finally,
Sandy read:
 
“September 28, 1915.The first heavy snow of the season has come early
this year. Imagine my surprise this morning to wake in a blinding snow
storm. It is driving me away from the Crystal Lode. After breakfast, I
made haste to set out with my two pack-ponies, and arrived at Carson’s
cabin shortly after two. I have always made it a point to stop at
Carson’s whenever possible. They are friendly people. Mrs. Carson is an
Indian, but exceedingly pleasant and well educated. A cook too! I can’t
understand why a couple like that should be afflicted with such hopeless
offspring. Their daughter, about fifteen, is vicious, while their son,
Reynold, two years older, is a young cutthroat, if ever there was one.
This afternoon I found him in my room, quite brazenly going through my
things. It caused me to wonder if, after all, Reynold doesn’t know
something about that lost note-book. I recall that I stopped here just
the day before I discovered it was gone.
 
“September 29, 1915.I am almost sure that Reynold has it. Today he was
copying something out of a booka black leather note-bookthat looked
suspiciously like mine. He rose when he saw me and beat a hasty retreat.
I can’t accuse him openly just yet, but when I come back this way in the
spring, I intend to lay a trap for him. That young scoundrel really
ought to be put in jail, although I am afraid I never would have the
courage to do it myself. It would break both Mr. and Mrs. Carson’s
hearts.”
 
Sandy paused.
 
“Have you finished? Is that all?”
 
In his eagerness, Corporal Rand stepped over behind the young Scotchman
and looked down at the open book.
 
“No,” answered Sandy, “it is not all. Here is another paragraph, dated
September 30just a day later.”
 
“I purposely remained at Carson’s one more day. Thought I might be able
to keep an eye on Reynold, catch him again with the book and this time
positively identify it. Unfortunately for me, nothing happened. Carson
sent his son out with an armload of traps in the forenoon, and after
lunch, two prospectors, Emery and MacGregor, stopped for an hour or two
on their way east to Fort Good Faith. Carson introduced both men and we
conversed for a few minutes. Can’t say I liked either one. If I were
forced to choose a person to hang me, I think I’d name MacGregor.
Emery’s face is too vileeven for a hangman’s.”“Ugh!” Dick’s voice trembled. “If only he had known!”

댓글 없음: