2015년 10월 26일 월요일

Dick Kent on Special Duty 27

Dick Kent on Special Duty 27



“Yes, I did do that. What was wrong about it? Tell mewhat was wrong
about it? I didn’t commit no crimeIt wasn’t a very bad thing to doyou
can’t make me believe that. Just sold a copy of something that was
written in that old book.”
 
“Reynold!” cried the old man. “Reynold!”
 
“Listen, dad, it wasn’t so terrible wrong. I didn’t touch anybody an’ I
didn’t steal nothing. All I did was to sell what was in that book to a
few men for just a few dollars.”
 
“To a few men!” gasped the corporal. “Whobeside Emery and MacGregor?”
 
“I sold one copy one day when Dewberry was herebefore I gave him back
the book. I made a second copy, but I didn’t sell it for months
afterwards. Dad and I had a quarrel and I ran away. I played cards and I
lost moneyall I had. I tried to sell the copy. I showed it to a few
men, but they laughed at me. Then one night, when I was at a road-house
a queer looking chap, named Crane, gave me ten dollars for it.”
 
“Are you sure his name wasn’t Creel? Stop and think a moment.”
 
“Creel! Creel! That’s it.” Reynold looked at the policeman in surprise.
“How did you know?”
 
“I found out,” answered Rand.
 
“So you see, dad, it wasn’t anything so very terrible,” Reynold ran on.
“I
 
“Can you repeat what you copied from the book?” Rand interrupted.
 
“No, not word for word. It was something about an old chest that
Dewberry had at his home at Peace River Crossingfull of money; about a
key that he carried around his neck.”
 
“Would you remember if I read it to you?”
 
“Yes, I would,” answered the boy.
 
Corporal Rand crossed the room, knelt down, and opened his saddle-pack.
A moment later he returned, carrying Dewberry’s diary, resumed his seat,
and began thumbing the pages. It was several minutes before he found the
right place. Then he read:
 
“May 13th, 1915. That chest is an obsession. Even out here in the
wilderness away from it, it seems to haunt me night and day. Sometimes I
call myself a doddering old fool. To buy it was a waste of money, an act
of folly. That were bad enough, but this thing I have been doing lately
is madness itself. In a thousand years, if God gave me that long to
live, I could never restore that chest to its original glory and
splendor. I’m sure that I haven’t put into it one infinitesimal part of
the wealth and treasure that he did. If he were living now, Ming would
laugh my diamonds and rubies and emeralds to scorn. I’m afraid he’d
spurn my gold too. Cheap stuff! Trash! Where I have thousands he had
millions. Folly to pit the Crystal Lode against the resources of an
empire. Yet here I am, walking about with the key around my neck, trying
to emulate an emperor.”
 
Corporal Rand closed the book.
 
“Is that what you copied?” he asked.
 
“Yes, that’s it,” answered Reynold.
 
“I wonder if you realize what you’ve done,” Rand spoke softly. “When you
sold those copies you signed Dewberry’s death warrant. You must have
known that one of those men, to whom you sold that information, would
try to obtain Dewberry’s treasure.”
 
“I didn’t think much about it,” the boy declared doggedly.
 
“Dewberry is dead. MacGregor murdered him. It’s your fault. MacGregor
never would have murdered him, ifif it hadn’t been for you. I want that
fact to sink in. You know now why I’ve come to get you.”
 
“I’ll be hanged,” blubbered the boy.
 
Rand walked over and put his hand on the young man’s shoulder.
 
“Nonot that. We’ll do what we can for you. You have a wonderful father
and mother. For their sakeand for your ownwe’ll be as lenient as
possible.”
 
The young man’s body shook with sobs.
 
“Hush! Hush!” whispered Carson, wiping away his own tears. “I think I
hear your mother coming.”
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXV
PIECING THE THREADS
 
 
Creel was the first to confess. Sitting in the office of the commandant,
in the presence of Inspector Cameron, Corporal Rand, Reynold Carson and
Dick, he poured out his story. Confronted by Carson, who identified him
as being one of the men to whom he had sold Dewberry’s secret, Creel saw
that only the truth could help him. His deep-set eyes glowed dully. He
moistened his lips.
 
“It’s true,” he began. “Frischette and me robbed Dewberry. Took his
money and his poke. For months, we’d been waiting our chance. Dewberry
stopped at the road-house several times, but nearly always it was during
the middle of the day. Usually he’d hit our place about noon and stay
not more than an hour. He preferred to go on and spend the night with
Meade, who was his friend.”
 
The sun, shining in through the window, bothered the old recluse and he
hitched back his chair. Not until he became comfortable again did he
resume:
 
“Our chance come finally. Dewberry, delayed in a storm, drifted in one
afternoon lateabout four o’clock. He hadn’t time to make Meade’s that
night. It was a cold day and miserable. A blizzard out. You could
scarcely see ahead o’ you. I was surprised when Frischette come over and
notified me that Dewberry was there. I hadn’t expected to stir out of my
cabin. I didn’t want to walk back through the storm with him, but
Frischette said it was the best time for our plan, that we’d have to
strike that night if we ever intended to. After while I agreed and we
walked over and I hid in Frischette’s room.
 
“Neither one of us had any idea that that man MacGregor was playing the
same sort o’ game as us. He was stopping at Frenchie’s that night, along
with a lot of others, and, of course, we thought nothing of it. You see,
we was sure that we was the only ones ‘in’ on the secret. We had got the
dope from the kid and had made our plans.”
 
“Was a part of your plan to kill Dewberry?” Inspector Cameron
interrupted.
 
Creel nodded.
 
“Wasn’t any other way our plan would work out. We simply had to do it.
We was compelled to put Dewberry out of the way, else he’d sound the
alarm and prevent us from getting into his cabin at Peace River
Crossing.
 
“About nine o’clock Frischette come into the room where I was, bringing
my supper. Then the two of us sat there talking. We had decided that it
wasn’t much use to try to do anything until along about midnight. So we
waited there in the dark. When the bunk-hall began to get a little quiet
we stopped talking ourselves for fear we might keep someone awake. It
was exactly twelve by my watch, when we stole out of that room.”
 
Creel paused reflectively, his eyes half closed. He remained motionless
and silent so long that Dick began to wonder if the man had lost his
power of speech. Suddenly he sat up straight in his chair and continued:
 
“We was both in our stocking-feet and we moved as quiet as ghosts
between the rows of sleepers. Nobody could have heard us. Men was
snoring all around us. It was dark in the room, almost black, but we
knew exactly where to go. All the details had been planned out in
advance. Yet, as I said before, we hadn’t figured on MacGregor, and on
that account we nearly got tripped up. We didn’t know nothing about him
until we was directly over him.”
 
Again Cameron interrupted: “Directly over him? What do you mean? Had you
made a mistake and gone to MacGregor’s bunk instead?”
 
“No! No!” the old recluse spoke impatiently. “He was on his knees,
stooping over Dewberry, with the poke and money in his hands. Dewberry
was dead!
 
“MacGregor hadn’t even heard us come up. I was carrying a knife in my
right hand and I pushed it against his throat. I whispered that if he
made a sound I’d kill him. In fact, I thought I would anyway. I was so
frightened I could hardly stand on my feet. But if I was frightened,
MacGregor was worse than that. He was frozen like a block of ice. I
don’t think he had more than strength enough to hand over the poke and
the roll of bills. After that we took him back into the kitchen and told
him we would give him his life if he’d promise to leave the place at
once and make no effort to get back the poke.”
 
“He was glad of the chance, I guess,” a smile twisted Creel’s lips. “We
were pretty sure that we’d never see him again. We weren’t afraid that
he’d squeal, because he was the one that had committed the murder. Our
hands was clean. Things had worked out better than we could have planned
ourselves.”
 
“You didn’t worry?” asked Cameron.
 
“Yes, we did worrysome. We knew that MacGregor wouldn’t say a word
about us unless he was placed under arrest for the murder. We didn’t
think you was going to get him, and you wouldn’t either if it hadn’t
been for Fontaine. We had no idea that Fontaine knew anything about
MacGregor until he blabbed out that he had seen MacGregor dope a drink
he was mixing for the prospector. We could have killed the kid for that,
but if we had, you’d have known right away that we was the ones that had
done it and was implicated in some way in the other murder. There wasn’t
a thing for us to do but just sit and wait.
 
“We didn’t have to wait very long either. MacGregor gets himself killed
in a scrap with the police. And lo and behold!the ‘Rat’s’ wife won’t
talk. She wouldn’t tell you a thing and she knew _everything_. You can
bet MacGregor told his wife all about us. But why didn’t she squeal? She
could have got revenge on us good and proper. She had us right where she
wanted us. When she wouldn’t give evidence, we knew what was in that
lady’s mind then and there: _She was planning to get back that poke!_”
 
“Have you any more to say for yourself?” asked the inspector, following
a long interval of silence.
 
“No, sir, not a thing.”
 
“If you don’t mind,” said Rand, addressing his superior, “I’d like to ask him a question.”

댓글 없음: