2017년 2월 24일 금요일

A Lady of England 12

A Lady of England 12


Enter COLONEL STUMPLY and CORPORAL CATCHUP._
 
COL. Plant two stout fellows at the front door, and half a dozen
in the garden. Place them so that there shall be no possibility
of escape either from the house or the churchyard adjoining.
 
COR. I will, Sir.
 
HORATIA. [_Aside._] Horror and despair!
 
COL. Yourself and four of your best men go and search the open
vault at the right-hand corner of the churchyard, and on your
lives let not your prisoner escape. Go, plant your Sentinels,
and then to your business. [_Exit CORPORAL CATCHUP._] I will go
and superintend myself. [_Exit._]
 
HORATIA. Day of horror and misery! All is lost. All is
discovered. If I but knew of one who could divert the attention
of these wretches till the Prince escaped! If I ...
 
_Enter DARESBY._
 
Daresby! He’s a Whig! but I’ll make him my tool.
 
DARESBY. Good morning, I came thus early....
 
HORATIA. [_Speaking very fast._] You are so welcome--you came
just a moment ...
 
DARESBY. My Sophy! nothing is the matter with her?
 
HORATIA. O no. It’s a poor soldier--got the cholera--lying in
the vault ...
 
DARESBY. In a vault!
 
HORATIA. Run, run, dearest Daresby, or you will be too late.
 
DARESBY. What do you mean? Explain yourself.
 
HORATIA. The cholera, I say--in the vault--O! you put me in a
fever. For my sake, for Sophy’s--O run, fly!
 
DARESBY. Whatever can you ...
 
HORATIA. Go, or I shall run wild! You know the way, go!
 
DARESBY. If I can be of any use to the poor sufferer. [_Exit._]
 
HORATIA. O, what a relief! he’s gone! I should never survive
another day of such excitement. If they once suppose that their
object is gained and the Prince caught, the sentinels will be
removed from the garden, and he can escape through the window.
If the deception can be carried on for one half-hour he may
be saved. I must go and put my sisters on their guard, and
prepare the Prince for flight. If Aunt Judith or Weasel see
and recognise Daresby all is lost. I wish I could lock them
both up. What a labyrinth I am in! The greatest comfort is that
the Colonel is a blockhead, and would not know a prince from a
pancake! [_Exit._]
 
 
SCENE III.
 
THE STORE-ROOM.
 
CHARLES. Something better than a vault this, methinks. I could
not have found a hiding-place more to my mind. Excellent
cherry-brandy she makes, this Mrs. Judith. I have entered half a
dozen professions since I entered this room; it will be hard if
I do not make my fortune out of one of them. I am an Historian,
for I have been discussing old dates; a Merchant, for I add plum
to plum; a Lawyer, for I have opened many a case; a Lord Mayor,
for the mace is before me; and a Navigator, for I am led to
seize and gulf! What if I were to stay here altogether, or set
up a new company with my fair hostesses? Miss Ratty is cut out
for a tragedy Queen. Such passion! such emphasis! [_Mimicking._]
‘That my keen knife see not the wound it makes’--but the puzzle
is that they are all ladies; not one to take a gentleman’s part.
It is a shame in me to say so, for I am sure that they have
taken mine. My only hope would be in Weasel. That fellow has
such a desperate squint, that I am sure he would make a capital
Lear!
 
_Enter HORATIA._
 
HORATIA. Fly! fly! while yet there is a moment’s respite.
 
CHARLES. Fly! and wherefore?
 
HORATIA. Rouse all the ancient courage of your race ...
 
CHARLES. There can be no courage in a race, for a race is
running away.
 
HORATIA. Let the spirit of your Ancestors glow in your bosom,
for the hour of danger is come.
 
CHARLES. ‘I dare do all that may become a man’ ...
 
HORATIA. Does this trifling become a man and a hero?
 
CHARLES. I know of but one thing, fair Ratty, that can become a
man and a hero.
 
HORATIA. What is that?
 
CHARLES. A boy, to be sure!
 
HORATIA. Enough, enough of this perpetual play of words. We
must think, we must act. Another is now taking your place at the
vault ...
 
CHARLES. My place! how excessively obliging!
 
HORATIA. Every moment is invaluable. Put on this dress of my
Aunt’s which I have brought for you, and fly, fly, while the
deception lasts!
 
CHARLES. The brandy must have got into my head.
 
HORATIA. Put it on, I entreat you, if not for your own or your
Country’s sake, yet for your noble Father’s.
 
CHARLES. My Father’s! Either you or I ... Why, what’s the matter
with him? Is he in the farce too?
 
HORATIA. [_Aside._] He is the worse for liquor! O horrible!
and at such a moment! [_Aloud._] The soldiers are here--sent
to seize you--to drag you to a dungeon, perhaps an ignominious
death.
 
CHARLES. [_Alarmed._] And why? what have I done?
 
HORATIA. I heard the orders given. One hour’s delay will lead
you to the scaffold.
 
CHARLES. The scaffold!
 
HORATIA. The block.
 
CHARLES. The block! why, what is my crime? Why does not my
Father come to my assistance?
 
HORATIA. Your Father cannot--he is exiled from his native land.
Were he to appear, he must perish too.
 
CHARLES. Have you hid him? have you hid him?
 
HORATIA. [_Aside._] Horridly drunk! [_Aloud._] Put on this dress
and fly. It is your only chance of life.
 
CHARLES. You have put me into a shiver. I cannot half believe,
nor a quarter comprehend you.
 
HORATIA. Believe then these tears, this agony of apprehension in
which you see me. This moment the soldiers may be mounting the
staircase--cutting off all hope ...
 
CHARLES. Give me the slip then, and I will give them the slip!
quick, quick, and the cloak and hood.
 
HORATIA. Here, here! O despatch! while you remain here I tread
on hot iron.
 
CHARLES. I am to personate your Aunt.
 
HORATIA. Yes, yes, any one, but make haste.
 
CHARLES. So, I’m equipped. Farewell, Lady!
 
HORATIA. Pull the hood over your face. O farewell! [_Exit
CHARLES._]
 
HORATIA. One hour more of excitement, and then ... [_Exit._]
 
 
SCENE IV.
 
THE CHURCHYARD.
 
_Enter CORPORAL CATCHUP and Soldiers._
 
CORP. Silence! Silence! halt! advance bending down and with your
bayonets presented. Comrades, this is a glorious day, and if we
catch the Pretender we shall have little cause to grieve that we
arrived a day too late for the Battle of Culloden. What were the
deeds of the Duke of Cumberland to ours? He but wounded the fox,
we catch him by the nose. We shall be made Aldermen, every man
of us. Take ground behind those bushes; keep silence. I hear a
voice in the vault. On your lives be silent--be steady!
 
DARESBY. [_In the vault._] I can find no one, yet here is a
bed prepared. What a strange place to make an hospital of!
[_Emerging from the vault._] Perhaps the poor fellow has got
frightened and delirious ...
 
CORP. Stand!   

댓글 없음: