2017년 2월 22일 수요일

Grit or The Young Boatman of Pine Point 20

Grit or The Young Boatman of Pine Point 20


It would have been more in order to pity Grit for having such a
stepfather, but Travers looked upon the matter from his own point of
view, which, it is needless to say, was influenced by his own interests.
 
"Will they take me at the tavern?" he thought to himself. "If they
won't, I shall have to sleep out, and that would be hard for a gentleman
like me."
 
When we are in a tight place, help often comes from unexpected quarters,
and this to those who hardly deserve such a favor. So it happened in the
case of Travers.
 
As he was walking slowly along, his face wrinkled with perplexity, he
attracted the attention of a tall man, dressed in black, who might
readily have passed for a clergyman, so far as his externals went. He
crossed the street, and accosted Travers.
 
"My friend," he said, "you appear to be in trouble."
 
"So I am," answered Travers readily.
 
"Of what nature?"
 
"I've just been turned out of the house of the only friend I have in the
village, and I don't know where to go."
 
"Go to the tavern."
 
"So I would if I had money enough to pay my score. You haven't got five
dollars to spare, have you?"
 
Travers had no expectation of being answered in the affirmative, and he
was surprised, as well as gratified, when the stranger drew out his
wallet, and, taking therefrom a five-dollar bill, put it into his hand.
 
"There," said he.
 
"Well!" exclaimed the astonished Travers, "you're a gentleman if ever
there was one. May I know the name of such an--an ornament to his
species?"
 
The stranger smiled.
 
"I am glad you appreciate my little favor," he said. "As to my name, you
may call me Colonel Johnson."
 
"Proud to know you, colonel," said Travers, clasping the hand of his new
acquaintance warmly.
 
"What is your name?" asked Johnson.
 
"Thomas Travers."
 
"I am glad to know you, Mr. Travers," said the colonel. "Let me drop you
a hint. There's more money where that came from."
 
"You couldn't lend me any more, could you?" asked Travers eagerly.
 
"Well, not exactly lend, Mr. Travers, but perhaps we can enter into a
little business arrangement."
 
"All right, colonel," said Travers briskly. "I'm out of business. Fact
is, I've been in seclusion lately--confined to the house in fact, and
haven't been able to earn anything."
 
"Just so. Suppose we take a walk in yonder field, and I will tell you
what I have in view."
 
They got over a fence, and walked slowly along a path that led a quarter
of a mile farther on into the woods.
 
Here they sat down under a tree, and Colonel Johnson, producing a couple
of cigars and a match, said:
 
"I can always talk better when I am smoking. Have one, Travers."
 
"You're a man after my own heart, colonel," said Travers
enthusiastically. "Now, if I only had a nip I should be in clover."
 
"Take one, then," said the colonel, producing a pocket-flask of brandy.
 
Travers was by no means bashful in accepting this invitation.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XX.
 
A PROMISING PLAN.
 
 
The conference between Colonel Johnson and Travers was apparently of
great interest to the latter. It is important that the reader should be
made acquainted with its nature.
 
"I take it for granted, Mr. Travers," said the colonel, after their
potation, "that you are ready to undertake a job if there is money in
it."
 
"That's as true as you live," said Travers emphatically.
 
"Am I also right in concluding that you are not squeamish as to how the
money is earned? You are not overburdened with conscientious scruples,
eh?"
 
"Not much! They're all nonsense," returned Travers.
 
"Good! I see you are the sort of a man I took you for. Now you must, to
begin with, promise that you will regard as confidential what I am about
to say to you."
 
"Tom Travers can be relied upon, colonel. He's safe every time."
 
"Good again! Then I shall not hesitate to unfold to you my little plan.
I believe you have a bank in the village?"
 
"Yes; but, colonel, I am a stranger here. I only know one person
here--my friend Brandon."
 
"Is he--the same kind of a man as yourself?" inquired Johnson.
 
"The same identical kind, colonel. What is it Shakespeare, or some other
poet, says:
 
 
"'Two flowers upon a single stalk,
Two hearts that beat as one.'"
 
 
"I compliment you on your knowledge of poetry, Mr. Travers. I didn't
think it was in you."
 
Travers looked complimented.
 
"I've had an education, colonel," he said complacently, "though
circumstances have been against me for the last four years. As for my
friend Brandon, he's one you can rely upon."
 
"I shall probably require his services as well as yours," said Johnson.
"Now let me proceed. You agree with me that bank capitalists are
grasping monopolists, that they grind down the poor man, and live in
luxury at the expense of the poor laborer."
 
"Just my notion, colonel!"
 
"And whatever we can get out of them is what they richly deserve to
lose?"
 
"Just so!"
 
"Well and good! I see you agree with me. And now, friend Travers, I will
tell you what I have in view, and why it is that I need the services of
two gentlemen like you and your friend. The fact is"--here Johnson
dropped the mask, being assured of the character of his
listener--"there's a good haul to be made within three days--a haul
which, if successful, will make all three of us easy in our
circumstances for years to come."
 
"Go ahead, colonel. I'm with you, and my friend Brandon, too. I'll
answer for him. We both need a lift mightily."
 
"I learn--no matter how"--said Johnson, lowering his voice, "that a
messenger from the bank goes to Boston day after to-morrow with a
package of thirty thousand dollars in government bonds. He's to carry
them to the Merchant's National Bank in Boston. These bonds are not
registered, but coupon bonds, and can easily be sold. They are at a
premium of fifteen or sixteen per cent., which would bring up the value
to nearly or quite thirty-five thousand dollars."
 
Travers listened with eager interest. He began to understand the
service that was expected of him, but it did not apparently shock him.
 
"Well?" he said.
 
"My plan," continued Colonel Johnson, "is for you and your friend to
follow this bank messenger, and between here and Boston to relieve him
of this package. You will meet me at a spot agreed upon in or near the
city, and I will take the package."
 
"You will take the package?" repeated Travers blankly.
 
"Yes, but I will reward you liberally for your service. You and Brandon
will each receive from me, in case the affair succeeds, the sum of five
thousand dollars."
 
"I thought we would share and share alike," said Travers, in a tone of
disappointment.
 
"Nonsense, man! Isn't it my plan? Am I to reap no benefit from my own
conception? Besides, shall I not have the care and responsibility of
disposing of the bonds? This will involve danger."
 
"So will our part involve danger," objected Travers.
 
"That is true, but your hazard is small. There will be two of you to one
bank messenger. Besides, I take it for granted that you will be adroit
enough to relieve the messenger without his knowing anything about it.
When he discovers his loss you will be out of sight. It strikes me you
will be rewarded very handsomely for the small labor imposed upon you."
 
Travers made a further effort to secure better terms, but his new
acquaintance was firm in refusing them. The result was, that Travers
unconditionally accepted for himself and Brandon.
 
"When shall you see your friend Brandon, as you call him?" inquired the
colonel.
 
"This very afternoon," answered Travers promptly.
 
"Good! I like your promptness."
   

댓글 없음: