2017년 2월 22일 수요일

Grit or The Young Boatman of Pine Point 25

Grit or The Young Boatman of Pine Point 25



"Let me see. To-day is Wednesday, and Friday is the day when we had
decided to send the messenger. He was to go by the morning train. I
think I will send you off in advance by the evening train of Thursday.
Then the bonds will be in the bank at Boston, while the regular
messenger is still on the way."
 
"That will suit me very well, sir."
 
"The train starts at ten o'clock. You can be at the train at half-past
nine. I will be there at the same hour, and will have the bonds with me.
I will at the same time provide you with money for the journey."
 
"All right, sir. Do you want to see me any time to-morrow?"
 
"No. I think it best that we should not be too much together. Even then,
I don't think any one would suspect that I would employ you on such an
errand. Still, it will be most prudent not to do anything to arouse
suspicion."
 
"Then, Mr. Graves, I will bid you good night," said Grit, rising. "I
thank you very much for the confidence you are going to repose in me. I
will do my best, so that you may not have occasion to repent it."
 
"I don't expect to repent it," said Mr. Graves, shaking hands with Grit
in a friendly manner.
 
When the young boatman left the house of the bank president, it was
natural that he should feel a thrill of pride as the thought of the
important mission on which he was to be sent. Then again, it was
exhilarating to reflect that he was about to visit Boston. He had lived
at Chester for five years and more, and during that time he had once
visited Portland. That was an exciting day for him; but Boston he knew
was a great deal larger than the beautiful city of which Maine people
are pardonably proud, and contained possibilities of pleasure and
excitement which filled him with eager anticipations.
 
But Grit knew that his journey was undertaken not for his own enjoyment,
but was to be an important business mission, and he resolved that he
would do his duty, even if he did not have a bit of fun.
 
As he thought over the business on which he was to be employed, his
thoughts reverted to Ephraim Carver, the bank messenger, and the more
he thought of him, the more he suspected that he was implicated in the
projected robbery. It was perhaps this thought that led him to make a
detour so that he could pass the house of the messenger.
 
It was a small cottage-house, standing back from the street, from which
a narrow lane led to it. Connected with it were four or five acres of
land, which might have yielded quite an addition to his income, but Mr.
Carver was not very fond of working on land, and he let it lie fallow,
making scarcely any use of it. Until he obtained the position of bank
messenger he had a hard time getting a living, and was generally
regarded as rather a shiftless man. He was connected with the wife of
one of the directors, and that was the way in which he secured his
position. Now he received a small salary, but one on which he might have
lived comfortably in a cheap place like Chester. But in spite of this he
was dissatisfied, and on many occasions complained of the difficulty he
experienced in making both ends meet.
 
Grit turned down the lane and approached the house.
 
He hardly knew why he did so. He had no expectation of learning anything
that would throw light on the question whether Carver was or was not
implicated in the conspiracy. Still, he was drawn toward the house.
 
The night was quite dark, but Grit knew every step of the way, and he
walked slowly up the lane, which was probably two hundred feet long.
 
He had gone, perhaps, half the distance, when he saw the front door of
Carver's house open. Mr. Carver himself could be seen in the doorway
with a kerosene-lamp in his hand, and at his side was a person whom with
a thrill of surprise Grit recognized as the man staying at the hotel
under the name of Colonel Johnson.
 
"That looks suspicious," thought Grit. "I am afraid the messenger is
guilty."
 
He reflected that it would not do for either of them to see him, as it
might render them suspicious. He took advantage of the darkness, and the
fact that the two were not looking his way, to jump over the stone wall
and hide behind the broad trunk of the lofty elm which stood just in
that spot.
 
"I wish I could hear what they are saying," thought Grit. "Then I should
know for certain if my suspicions are well founded."
 
The two men stood at the door for the space of a minute or more, and
then the stranger departed, but not alone. Ephraim Carver took his hat
and accompanied him, both walking slowly up the lane toward the main
road.
 
By a piece of good luck, as Grit considered it, they halted beneath the
very elm-tree behind which he lay concealed.
 
These were the first words Grit heard spoken:
 
"My dear friend," said Johnson, in bland, persuasive accents, "there
isn't a particle of danger in it. You have only to follow my directions,
and all will be well."
 
"I shall find it hard to explain how it happened that I lost the
package," said Carver.
 
"Not at all! You will have a facsimile in your possession--one so like
that no one need wonder that you mistook it for the original.
Undoubtedly you will be charged with negligence, but they can't prove
anything more against you. You can stand being found fault with for five
thousand dollars, can't you?"
 
"If that is all, I won't mind. I shall probably lose my situation."
 
"Suppose you do; it brings you in only six hundred dollars a year, while
we pay you in one lump five thousand dollars--over eight times as much.
Why, man, the interest of this sum at six per cent. will yield half as
much as your annual salary."
 
"The bank people ought to pay me more," said Carver. "Two months since
I asked them to raise me to eight hundred a year, but they wouldn't.
There was only one of the directors in favor of it--the man who married
my wife's cousin."
 
"They don't appreciate you, friend Carver," said Johnson. "How can they
expect you to be honest, when they treat you in so niggardly a manner?"
 
"Just so," said Carver, eager to find some justification for his
intended treachery. "If they paid me a living salary, I wouldn't do this
thing you ask of me."
 
"As it is, they have only themselves to blame," said Colonel Johnson.
 
"That's the way I look at it," said the bank messenger.
 
"And quite right, too! I shouldn't be surprised if you managed to keep
your place, after all. They won't suspect you of anything more than
carelessness."
 
"That would be splendid!" returned Carver. "With my salary and the
interest of five thousand dollars, I could live as comfortably as I
wanted to. How soon shall I receive the money?"
 
"As soon as we can dispose of the bonds safely. It won't be long."
 
Here the two men parted, and Carver returned to his house.
 
Grit crept out from behind the elm-tree when the coast was clear, and
made his way home. He had learned a most important secret, but resolved
to communicate it only to Mr. Graves.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXV.
 
MRS. BRANDON IS MYSTIFIED.
 
 
When Grit explained to his mother that he was going away for a day or
two on a journey, she was naturally surprised, and asked for
particulars.
 
"I should like to tell you, mother," said the young boatman, "but there
are reasons why I cannot. It is a secret mission, and the secret is not
mine."
 
"That is perfectly satisfactory, Grit," said Mrs. Brandon. "I have full
confidence in you, and know I can trust you."
 
"After I return I shall probably be able to tell you all," said Grit.
"Meanwhile, I shall, no doubt, be paid better than if I were ferrying
passengers across the river."
 
"At any rate, I shall be glad to see you back. We have not been
separated for a night for years, or, indeed, since you were born."
 
The next day, Mr. Brandon, taught by experience that he need not look
for his meals at home, went over to the tavern to breakfast. He felt
unusually independent and elated, for he had money in his pocket,
obtained from Colonel Johnson, and he expected soon to receive the
handsome sum of five thousand dollars. A shrewder man, in order to avert
suspicion, would have held his tongue, at least until he had performed
the service for which he was to be so liberally paid; but Brandon could
not forego the opportunity to boast a little.
 
"It is quite possible, Mrs. B.," he said, in the morning, "that I may
leave you in a day or two, to be gone a considerable time."
 
Mrs. B. did not show the expected curiosity, but received the
communication in silence.
 
"You don't inquire where I am going," said Brandon.
 
"Where do you propose to go?" asked his wife, whose chief feeling was
that she and Grit would now be left to their old quiet and peace.
 
"I may go to Europe," said Mr. Brandon, in an important tone.
 
"Isn't this a new plan?" asked Mrs. Brandon, really surprised.
 
"Yes, it is new. I shall go on business, Mrs. B. My friend Travers and
I will probably go together. You and Grit made a great mistake when you
treated him with rudeness. It is through him that I am offered most
remunerative employment."
 

댓글 없음: