2017년 2월 22일 수요일

Grit or The Young Boatman of Pine Point 24

Grit or The Young Boatman of Pine Point 24



"You are right there, Mr. Courtney," said Grit good-naturedly. "I don't
want Mr. Graves to attach any more importance to my suggestion than he
thinks it deserves."
 
"Whatever your suggestion may be worth, Grit," said the president of the
bank, "there can be no doubt that you have brought me news of great
importance. I shall not forget the obligation the bank is under to you."
 
Mr. Courtney shrugged his shoulders.
 
"The story looks to me very improbable," he said. "If I were still
president of the bank, I should probably dismiss it as an idle
fabrication."
 
"Then, Mr. Courtney," said Mr. Graves emphatically, "permit me to say
that you would be wanting in your duty to the bank and its interests."
 
"I understand the duties of a bank president at least as well as you,
Mr. Graves," said Mr. Courtney stiffly. "After that remark you will not
be surprised if I bid you good evening."
 
"Good evening!" said the president quietly, not attempting to call back
or placate the offended director.
 
"Perhaps I had better go, too," said Grit, rising from his chair.
 
"No, Grit, stay a few minutes longer; I wish to inquire further into
this affair."
 
"Certainly, Mr. Graves, I will stay, with pleasure."
 
Mr. Courtney heard this fragment of conversation, and it led him to say
with pointed sarcasm, as he stood with the knob of the door in his hand:
 
"Perhaps I had better resign my position, and suggest this young boatman
as bank director in my place."
 
"I doubt whether Grit would consider himself competent to discharge the
duties of a director," said Mr. Graves, smiling. "It may come in time."
 
Mr. Courtney shut the door hastily, and left the room.
 
"Mr. Courtney is rather a peculiar man; you needn't mind him, Grit,"
said Mr. Graves, when the ruffled director was gone.
 
"He doesn't like me very much, nor Phil, either," said Grit. "It is
lucky you are president of the bank now, and not he, for there is no
humbug about the news I bring you."
 
"I consider it highly important," said Mr. Graves, "as I have already
stated. I am a little puzzled as to what I ought to do in the matter. As
you say, the messenger himself may be in the plot. By the way, what put
that idea into your head?"
 
"I didn't know how otherwise Colonel Johnson could have learned about
the bonds being sent up to Boston."
 
"Frequently the messenger himself is ignorant of the service he is to
render, but in this particular instance it happened that I told Mr.
Carver that I should have occasion to send him to Boston this week, and
for what purpose."
 
"I am sorry that one who is in any way connected with our family should
be concerned in such a plot," said Grit.
 
"Of course; that is natural. Still, you did your duty in telling me of
it. Whatever consequences may follow, you have done right."
 
"I can't take much credit to myself for that," said Grit, "since I don't
like Mr. Brandon, and it would be a great relief both to my mother and
myself if he were away."
 
"As I have already consulted you on this matter, Grit," said the bank
president, after a pause, "I am disposed to consult you further. Have
you any advice to offer as to the best course to pursue?"
 
"Yes, sir," answered Grit. "As long as you don't think it presumption in
me, I will tell you of a plan I thought of as I was coming here. In the
first place, I would send the messenger as usual, without letting him
know that he was suspected."
 
"But that would involve risks, wouldn't it Grit," objected Mr. Graves.
"We can't afford to lose the bonds."
 
"I did not intend that he should carry the bonds," continued Grit. "I
would make up a parcel, filled with old papers, of about the same size,
and let him think he was carrying the bonds."
 
"So far, so good, but what of the bonds? They would still be here, when
we want them delivered in Boston."
 
"I have thought of that," said Grit promptly. "Either a little before
or a little afterward, I would send them by another messenger."
 
"Good, Grit! You're a trump!" said the banker, his face lighting up.
"It's a capital plan. But one thing you have forgotten. We shall not in
this way ascertain whether the messenger is in collusion with the
conspirators--that is, not necessarily."
 
"I think you can, sir. As I understand, this is the way in which the
theft will be accomplished: The conspirators will make up a bundle of
the same shape as the messenger's, and slyly substitute it at some point
on the route. They will not openly rob him, for there will be no chance
of doing so without attracting attention."
 
"If the messenger is careful, they could not easily substitute a false
for the true package."
 
"That is true, and that is the reason why I think the messenger is in
league with them. If he is careless, the change can easily be made. I
understand Brandon and Travers are to receive five thousand dollars each
for their services, and Colonel Johnson may, perhaps, have offered the
same sum to Mr. Carver."
 
"It would be a great temptation to a man employed on a small salary
like Carver," said Mr. Graves thoughtfully.
 
"What do you think of my plan, Mr. Graves?" asked Grit.
 
"I think it a capital one. I shall adopt it in every detail. The only
thing that remains is to decide whom to employ to carry the genuine
package of bonds to Boston. Do you think of any one?"
 
Grit shook his head.
 
"No, sir, I don't know of any one."
 
"I do," said the president.
 
"Who is it?" asked Grit, with considerable curiosity.
 
"I mean to send you!" answered Mr. Graves.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXIV.
 
WHAT GRIT OVERHEARD BEHIND THE ELM-TREE.
 
 
Grit listened with incredulous amazement to the words of the bank
president.
 
"You mean to send me?" he ejaculated.
 
"Yes," answered Mr. Graves, nodding.
 
"But I am only a boy!"
 
"That is true; but you have shown a sagacity and good judgment which
justify me in selecting you, young as you are. Of course, I shall take
care that you are paid for your time. Now, are you willing to go?"
 
Willing to go to Boston, where he had not been for five years? Grit did
not take long to consider.
 
"Yes," he answered promptly. "If you are willing to trust me, I am
willing to go."
 
"That is well," said the president. "I need hardly caution you to keep
your errand a profound secret."
 
"You must not even tell your mother," continued Mr. Graves.
 
"But she will feel anxious if I go away without a word to her."
 
"You mistake me. I would not for the world have you give her unnecessary
anxiety. You may tell her that you are employed on an errand which may
detain you from home a day or two, and ask her not to question you till
you return."
 
"Yes, I can say that," returned Grit. "Mother will very likely think Mr.
Jackson has employed me."
 
"Mr. Jackson?"
 
"A gentleman now staying at the hotel. He has already been very kind to
me."
 
If Grit had been boastful or vainglorious, he would have given the
particulars of his rescue of little Willie Jackson from drowning. As it
was, he said no more than I have recorded above.
 
"Very well," answered the president. "Your mother will not, at any rate,
think you are in any mischief, as she knows you too well for that."
 
"When do you want me to go, sir?" asked Grit.

댓글 없음: