2017년 2월 22일 수요일

Grit or The Young Boatman of Pine Point 28

Grit or The Young Boatman of Pine Point 28


"That is not true," said Grit. "I am sure some of these passengers have
seen me show my ticket. Didn't you, sir?"
 
He addressed this question to a stout old gentleman who sat in the seat
behind him.
 
"Really, I couldn't say," answered the old gentleman addressed. "I was
reading my paper, and didn't take notice."
 
The conductor looked more incredulous than ever.
 
"I can't waste any more time with you, young man," he said. "At the next
station you must get out."
 
Grit was very much disturbed. It was not pleasant to be left penniless
at a small station, but if he had been left alone he would not have
cared so much. But to have the custody of thirty thousand dollars' worth
of government bonds, under such circumstances, was certainly
embarrassing. He could not get along without money, and for a tramp
without money to be in charge of such a treasure was ample cause of
suspicion.
 
What could he do?
 
The train was already going slower, and it was evident that the next
station was near at hand.
 
Grit was trying in vain to think of some way of securing a continuation
of his journey, when a stout, good-looking lady of middle age, who sat
just opposite, rose from her seat and seated herself beside him.
 
"You seem to be in trouble," she said kindly.
 
"Yes, ma'am," answered Grit. "My ticket and money have been stolen, and
the conductor threatens to put me off the train."
 
"So I heard. Who do you think robbed you?"
 
"The man who sat beside me and got out at Exeter."
 
"I noticed him. I wonder you didn't detect him in the act of robbing
you."
 
"So do I," answered Grit. "He must be a professional. All the same, I am
ashamed of being so taken in."
 
"I heard you say it was important for you to reach Boston."
 
"It is," said Grit.
 
He was about to explain why, when it occurred to him that it would not
be prudent in a crowded car, which might contain suspicious and
unprincipled persons, to draw attention to the nature of his packet.
 
"I can't explain why just at present," he said; "but if any one would
lend me money to keep on my journey I would willingly repay the loan two
for one."
 
At this point the train came to a stop, and the conductor, passing
through the car, addressed Grit:
 
"Young man, you must get out at this station."
 
"No, he needn't," said the stout lady decidedly. "Here, my young friend,
pay your fare out of this," and she drew from a pearl portemonnaie a
ten-dollar bill.
 
Grit's heart leaped for joy. It was such an intense relief.
 
"How can I ever thank you?" he said gratefully, as he offered the change
to his new friend.
 
"No," she said; "keep the whole. You will need it, and you can repay me
whenever you find it convenient."
 
"That will be as soon as I get home," said Grit promptly. "I have the
money there."
 
"That will be entirely satisfactory."
 
"Let me know your name and address, madam," said Grit, taking out a
small memorandum-book, "so that I may know where to send."
 
"Mrs. Jane Bancroft, No. 37 Mount Vernon Street," said the lady.
 
Grit noted it down.
 
"Let me tell you mine," he said. "My name is Harry Morris, and I live in
the town of Chester, in Maine."
 
"Chester? I know that place. I have a cousin living there, or, rather, I
should say, a cousin of my late husband."
 
"Who is it, Mrs. Bancroft?" asked Grit. "I know almost everybody in the
village."
 
"Mr. Courtney. I believe he has something to do with the bank."
 
"Yes, he is a director. He was once president."
 
"Exactly. Do you know him?"
 
"Yes, ma'am. I saw him only a day or two before I left."
 
"I presume you know his son Philip, also."
 
"Oh, yes, I know Phil," said Grit.
 
"Is he a friend of yours?" asked the lady curiously.
 
"No, I can't say that. We don't care much for each other."
 
"And whose fault is that?" asked the lady, smiling.
 
"I don't think it is mine. I have always treated Phil well enough, but
he doesn't think me a suitable associate for him."
 
"Why?"
 
"Because I am poor, while he is the son of a rich man."
 
"That is as it may be," said the lady, shrugging her shoulders. "Money
sometimes has wings. So you are not rich?"
 
"I have to work for a living."
 
"What do you do?"
 
"I ferry passengers across the Kennebec, and in that way earn a living
for my mother and myself."
 
"Do you make it pay?"
 
"I earn from seven to ten dollars a week."
 
"That is doing very well for a boy of your age. What sort of a boy is
Phil? Is he popular?"
 
"I don't think he is."
 
"Why?"
 
"He is your nephew, Mrs. Bancroft, and I don't like to criticize him."
 
"Never mind that. Speak freely."
 
"He puts on too many airs to be popular. If he would just forget that
his father is a rich man, and meet the rest of the boys on an equality,
I think we should like him well enough."
 
"That is just the opinion I have formed of him. Last winter he came to
make me a visit, but I found him hard to please. He wanted a great deal
of attention, and seemed disposed to order my servants about, till I was
obliged to check him."
 
"I remember hearing him say he was going to visit a rich relative in
Boston," said Grit.
 
Mrs. Bancroft smiled.
 
"It was all for his own gratification, no doubt," she said. "So your
name is Harry Morris?"
 
"Yes, but I am usually called Grit."
 
"A good omen. It is a good thing for any boy--especially a poor boy--to
possess grit. Most of our successful men were poor boys, and most of
them possessed this quality."
 
"You encourage me, Mrs. Bancroft," said our hero. "I want to succeed in
life, for my mother's sake especially."
 
"I think you will; I have little knowledge of you, but you seem like one
born to prosper. How long are you going to stay in Boston?"
 
"Till to-morrow, at any rate."
 
"You will be in the city overnight, then. Where did you think of
staying?"
 
"At the Parker House."
 
"It is an expensive hotel. You had better stay at my house."
 
"At your house?" exclaimed Grit, surprised.
 
"Yes; I may want to ask more questions about Chester. We have tea at
half-past six. That will give you plenty of time to attend to your
business. I shall be at home any time after half-past five. Will you
come?"
 
"With pleasure," said Grit politely.
 
"Then I will expect you."   

댓글 없음: