2015년 2월 26일 목요일

Wonder Tales from Many Lands 7

Wonder Tales from Many Lands 7



The Baba Yaga slept for a long time. At last she yawned and woke, but
she could not get her eyes open. They were stuck tight with pitch. She
was in a terrible rage; she stamped about and roared terribly. “I know
who has done this,” she cried, “and as soon as I get my eyes open, I
will go after her and tear her to pieces.” Then she called to the cat
to come and scratch her eyes open with its sharp little claws.
 
“That I will not,” answered the cat. “As long as I have been with you,
you have given me nothing but hard words and bones to gnaw, but she
stroked my fur, and gave me a cake to eat. Scratch your own eyes open,
for you shall have no help from me.” And then the little cat ran away
into the forest.
 
But the faithful servant and Peter journeyed safely on through the
forest, and you may guess whether or not the mother was glad to have
her little Peter safe home again.
 
As to the old Baba Yaga, she may be shouting and stamping and rubbing
the pitch from her eyes yet, for all I know.
 
 
 
 
TAMLANE
 
A STORY FROM AN OLD SCOTCH BALLAD
 
 
FAIR Janet was the daughter of the Earl of March, and she was so
beautiful that many knights and noble gentlemen had asked her to marry
them, but she would say yes to none of them.
 
One day she sat at her window sewing a seam, and she heard the sound of
a horn down in the forest. It blew so sweet and it blew so clear that
she laid down her seam to listen, and it seemed to her that it called
“Janet, fair Janet, come hither!”
 
Fair Janet dropped her sewing and down to the wood she ran. She looked
about her, and there stood a handsome knight. From head to foot he was
dressed in green, and in his hand he held a silver horn, and when he
saw her he raised it to his lips and blew again so soft and clear that
Janet had never heard anything like it.
 
“Now tell me,” said she, “is that a fairy horn that it blows so sweet a
note?”
 
“It is indeed a fairy horn,” answered the stranger, “and it was in
Fairyland that I learned to wind it. In many a forest have I blown it,
north and south, and east and west, and you are the first to hear and
answer it.”
 
Then fair Janet was afraid, for she thought the stranger must be a
fairy knight, and she did not know what charm he might cast about her.
 
The knight saw she was frightened, so he said, “From Fairyland I
brought it, yet I am of human flesh and blood like you. I am the son of
the Earl of Murray, and once my name was John, though in Fairyland they
call me Tamlane. When I was a child, the fairies stole me, and they
have kept me with them ever since. Bright and fair it is in Fairyland,
and I am the Queen’s favoured knight, but my heart wearies to be back
in my own country and living with my own kind once more.”
 
“And will not the fairies let you go?” asked fair Janet, and now she
was not afraid.
 
“That they will not of their own wills, and only a lady brave and true
can set me free. You yourself are that lady, fair Janet, for you alone
have heard and answered my horn.”
 
Then Janet promised she would do whatever Tamlane bade her do, if by so
doing she might bring him back from Fairyland, for he was very good to
look upon. She let him put a ring upon her finger, and they kissed each
other as a sign that they were betrothed.
 
Then Tamlane told her what she must do. On every Hallowe’en at midnight
the fairies ride abroad, and on that night she must go to Milescross
and wait for them to pass. At midnight they would come.
 
First would ride the Fairy Queen, her horse hung round with bells.
After her would come all her ladies and esquires, and then her band of
knights, and it was among these that Tamlane would ride.
 
“You’ll know me from among them all,” said he, “by the snow-white horse
I ride. Moreover, I’ll wear a glove on my right hand, but my left hand
will hang bare. Then is the time for you, Janet. Spring up and pull me
from my horse and hold me tight. There will be a loud cry raised, and
they’ll change me into many shapes in your arms, but hold me tight,
whatever I seem to be. Always it will be I, and I will not harm you. Do
this, and when I take my own shape again I will be free of the fairies
for ever.”
 
Janet promised to do all that he told her to, though she was terrified
at the thought of what might happen, and then they kissed each other
again and parted.
 
Now three nights after it was Hallowe’en, and Janet went out to
Milescross, and hid herself there and waited.
 
When midnight came there was a sound of bells, and a white light, and
the fairies came riding by. First came the Queen, and she was very
beautiful, with a circlet of stars about her head. Then came her
ladies and squires, talking and laughing together; and next a troop
of knights all in green, and each with a silver horn. Some rode on
black horses, and some on brown, but one knight there was who rode a
milk-white steed. His right hand was gloved, but his left hand hung
down bare at his side. He rode on and never turned his head, but when
Janet saw him she knew him for her true love, Tamlane, and she sprang
forward and caught him by the mantle and pulled him down from off his
horse and gripped him tight. Then from all the fairy train there arose
a cry, “Tamlane’s awa’!” “Tamlane’s awa’!”
 
[Illustration: THEN IT WAS A SWAN THAT BEAT ITS WINGS IN HER FACE]
 
Suddenly it was no knight that Janet held in her arms, but a great grey
wolf. It struggled and snapped, and its breath was hot in her face.
Almost it broke from her, but she remembered Tamlane’s words and held
it tight. And then it was not a wolf she held, but a bale of burning
straw. The flames roared in her ears, but she clasped it close, and it
did not scorch her. Then it was a great serpent that wrapped itself
about her, and tried to slip from her arms, but she held it tight and
did not let it go. Then it was a swan that beat its wings in her face,
but she shut her eyes and held it. Then the wings were still, and she
opened her eyes, and saw it was her own true love, Tamlane, that she
clasped in her arms.
 
The Fairy Queen turned herself about, and she cried, “Tamlane, Tamlane,
if I had known yesterday what I know to-day, I would have taken out
your two blue eyes and given you eyes of stone; had I known yesterday
what I know to-day, I would have taken the heart of flesh out of your
bosom and put in a heart of clay; had I but known yesterday what I know
now, never should you have ridden abroad with me this night!”
 
Then suddenly the fairies were gone, and Tamlane and Janet stood there
alone. He took her by the hand, and they went back to her father’s
castle together. There they were married with great joy and feasting,
and they lived together happily all the rest of their lives, a faithful
and loving man and wife.
 
 
 
 
THE FARMER AND THE PIXY
 
AN ENGLISH FAIRY TALE
 
 
FARMER BOGGINS lived on a lonely farm, and there were a great many
pixies and other fairies all around.
 
One morning in threshing-time Farmer Boggins went out to the barn
before anyone else, and what was his surprise to find that a great heap
of grain had been threshed out in the night. He wondered who had done
it. When his labourers came to work he questioned them, but none of
them knew anything about it.
 
The next night the same thing happened; no one went near the barn, but
in the morning there was a heap of clean grain on the floor.
 
The third night the farmer made up his mind to find out who it was
that was helping him, so he hid himself behind some hay, and lay there
watching. The moon shone in and lighted all the floor, but for a long
time the farmer heard and saw nothing.
 
Then suddenly he heard a sound of threshing, and there was a pixy
beating out the grain with a flail. The little man was not a foot high.
He was as brown as a nut and had scarce a rag of clothes upon him.
 
He worked so hard that the sweat poured down his forehead, and now and
then he stopped to wipe it away. Then he would cry out proudly, “How I
sweat! How I sweat!”
 
The farmer was filled with admiration, and the third time the little
man cried “How I sweat!” the farmer could hold his tongue no longer,
but answered him, “That you do!”
 
No sooner had he spoken, however, than the pixy was gone.
 
The farmer waited for a while, but the little man did not return. At
last Farmer Boggins went back to the house and told his good wife all
that had happened.
 
“You stupid!” she cried, when he had made an end of the story. “You
should never have spoken to him. The small folk cannot bear to be
spoken to!”
 
Well, the mischief was done, and now the only thing to do was to think
of some way to coax the pixy back again to the work.
 
Early the next morning the good wife woke her husband.
 
“Husband,” said she, “did you say the little man had scarce a stitch of
clothes upon him?”
 
“That’s what I said,” answered the farmer.
 
“Then listen,” said his wife. “To-day I will make a little suit of
clothes for him, and you shall take it out and lay it in the barn where
he will be likely to see it if he comes back. Maybe then he’ll be so
pleased he’ll get over his anger and begin to work for you again.”
 
[Illustration: “NOT SO FAST, MY FINE LITTLE FELLOW,” HE SAID]
 
Well, that seemed a good plan to the farmer, so his wife set to work,
and by evening she had made a complete set of little clothes just the
size for a pixy. The farmer took it out to the barn and spread it out
in the moonlight and hid himself where he could watch and see what
would happen.
 
For a long time all was still, and Farmer Boggins was beginning to feel
sleepy, when suddenly he saw the pixy was there. The little man had a
flail in his hands and was going toward a heap of grain. Then he saw
the little suit lying there in the moonlight. At first he stood quite
still, and then he laid down the flail and took up the clothes. He
looked at them all over, and then he put them on.
 
When he was dressed he began to hop about and sing:
 
“How fine I am, how fine I am:
Now I am nobody’s working-man.”
 
So singing, he danced across the floor and out of the barn and down the
hill.
 
Then the farmer was in a rage. His wife had taken all the trouble
to make the clothes, and the little man had taken them and gone off
without doing a stroke of work to pay for them. But this should not be
the end of the matter.
 
At the foot of the hill the farm road crossed a stream, and there was a
bridge. The farmer went down to the bridge and hid himself beside it,
for he thought that if the pixy were really leaving the farm, this was
the way he would go.
 
Sure enough, Boggins had not been hidden there long when he heard a
sound of voices, and along came a whole troop of pixies. They all
looked exactly like the little man the farmer had seen in the barn, but
none of them were dressed. Last of all came a pixy in a little suit of
clothes, so the farmer knew he must be the one who had threshed out the
grain.
 
Just as this pixy reached the bridge, Farmer Boggins stepped out in
front of him. “Not so fast, my fine little fellow,” he said. “There’s
some work owing me in payment for that suit you’re wearing.”
 
The farmer had scarcely got the words out of his mouth when he heard a
great splash in the stream behind him, and a voice that sounded like
his wife’s cried, “Husband! Husband! Come quick and help me, or I’ll
drown.”
 
The farmer turned about, and immediately there was a burst of elfin
laughter. The stream lay silent and smooth in the moonlight. No one was
there, and when the farmer turned back to the bridge again every pixy
was gone from it.
 
Then the farmer knew that he had been tricked, and he had to go home
without either the pixy or the suit of clothes. His wife was there
though. She had never been out of the house at all, and a fine scolding
she gave him for letting himself be tricked that way by the little men.
 
But the pixy never came back to help him with his grain, or to thank
him for the suit of clothes either.
 
 
 
 
RABBIT’S EYES
 
A KOREAN FAIRY TALE
 
 
ONCE upon a time the king of the fishes fell ill, and no one knew what
was the matter with him. All the doctors in the sea were called in, one
after another, and not one of them could cure him.
 
Once when the fishes were talking about it, a turtle stuck its head out
of a crack in a rock. “It is a pity,” said the turtle, “that no one has
ever thought of asking my advice. I could cure the king in a twinkling.
All he has to do is to swallow the eye of a live rabbit, and he will
become perfectly well again.”
 
This the turtle said, not because he knew anything at all about the
matter, but because he wished to appear wise before the fishes.
 
Now it so chanced that one of the fishes that heard him was the son of
the king’s councillor, and he swam straight home and told his father
what he had heard the turtle say. The councillor told the king, and the
king, who was feeling very ill that day, bade them bring the turtle to
him immediately.
 
When the messengers told the turtle that the king wished to speak to
him, the turtle was very much frightened. He drew his head and his tail
into his shell and pretended that he was asleep, but in the end he was
obliged to go with the messengers.
 
They soon reached the palace, and the turtle was taken immediately to
where the king was. He was lying on a bed of seaweed and looking very
ill indeed, and all his doctors were gathered round him.
 
The king turned his eyes toward the turtle, and spoke in a weak voice.
“Tell me, friend, is it true that you said you could cure me?”
 
Yes, it was true.
 
“And that all I have to do is to swallow the eye of a live rabbit, and
I will be well again?”
 
Yes, that was true too.
 
“Then go get a live rabbit and bring it here immediately, that I may be
well.”
 
When the turtle heard these words he was in despair. It did not seem at
all likely that he could catch a rabbit and bring it down into the sea,
but he was so much afraid of the king that he did not dare to explain
this to him. He said nothing, but crawled away as soon as he could,
wishing he could find some crack where he could hide himself and never
be found again.
 
Suddenly he remembered he had once seen a rabbit frisking about on a
hill not far from the seashore, and he determined to set out to find
it.
 
He crawled out of the sea and started up the hill. He climbed and he
climbed, and after a while he came to the top, and there he sat down to
rest.
 
Presently along came the rabbit, and it stopped to speak to him.
 
“Good day,” said the rabbit.
 
“Good day,” said the turtle.
 
“And what are you doing so far away from the sea?” asked the rabbit.
 
“Oh, I only came up here to look about and see what the green world was
like,” answered the turtle.
 
“And what do you think of it, now you are here?”
 
“Oh, it’s not so bad; but you ought to see the beautiful palaces and
gardens we have down under the sea.” The turtle began telling the
rabbit about them, and he talked so long and said so many fine things
about them, that the rabbit began to wish to see them for himself.
 
“Would it be very hard for me to live down under the water?” he asked.
 
“Oh, no,” said the turtle. “It might be a little inconvenient at
first, but that would not last long. If you like, I will take you on
my back and carry you down to the bottom of the sea, and then you can
see whether it is not all just as grand and beautiful as I have been
telling you.”
 
Well, the rabbit could not resist his curiosity, and he agreed to go
with the turtle.
 
They went to the edge of the sea, and then the rabbit got on the
turtle’s back, and down they went through the water to the very bottom
of the sea. The rabbit did not like it at first, but he soon grew used
to it, and when he saw all the fine palaces and gardens that were
there, he was filled with wonder.
 
The turtle took him directly to the palace of the king. There he bade
the rabbit get down and wait awhile, and he promised that presently he
would show him the king of all this magnificence.
 
The rabbit was delighted and willingly agreed to wait there while the
turtle went to announce him.
 
But while the turtle was away the rabbit heard two fishes talking in
the room next to where he was. He was very inquisitive, so he cocked
his ears forward and listened to what they were saying. What was his
horror to find that they were talking about taking out his eyes and
giving them to the king. The rabbit did not know what to do, nor how he
was to escape from the dangerous position he was in.
 
Presently the turtle came back, and the chief councillor came with
him, and immediately the rabbit began to talk. “Well,” said he, “it
all seems very fine here, and I am glad I came, but I wish now I had
brought my own eyes with me so that I could see it better. You see,
the eyes I have in my head now are only glass eyes. I am so afraid of
getting my own eyes hurt or dusty that I generally keep them in a safe
place, and wear these glass eyes instead. But if I had only known how
much there would be to look at, I would certainly have brought my own
eyes.”
 
When the turtle and the councillor heard this, they were very much
disappointed, for they believed the rabbit was speaking the truth, and
that the eyes he had in his head at the time were only glass eyes.
 
“I will take you back to the shore,” said the turtle, “and then you can
go and get your real eyes and come back again, for there are many more
things for you to see herethings more wonderful and beautiful than anything I have yet shown you.”

댓글 없음: