2017년 2월 5일 일요일

Black is White 11

Black is White 11


This command was modified to a slight extent later on. Brood felt sorry
for the victims. He loved them, and he knew that their pride was injured
a great deal more than their appetite. In its modified form the edict
allowed them a small drink in the morning and another at bedtime, but
the doses (as they sarcastically called them) were to be administered by
Jones the butler, who held the key to the situation and--the sideboard.
 
“Is this a dispensary?” wailed Mr Dawes in weak horror. “Are we to stand
in line and solicit the common necessities of life? Answer me, Riggs!
Confound you, don’t stand there like a wax figure! Say something!”
 
Mr Riggs shook his head bleakly.
 
“Poor Jim,” was all that he said, and rolled his eyes heavenward.
 
Mr Dawes reflected. After many minutes the tears started down his
rubicund cheeks. “Poor old Jim,” he sighed. And after that they looked
upon Mrs Brood as the common enemy of all three.
 
The case of Mrs John Desmond was disposed of in a summary but tactful
manner.
 
“If Mrs Desmond is willing to remain, James, as housekeeper instead of
friend, all well and good,” said Mrs Brood, discussing the matter in the
seclusion of her boudoir. “I doubt, however, whether she can descend to
that. You have spoiled her, my dear.”
 
Brood was manifestly pained and uncomfortable.
 
“She was the wife of my best friend, Yvonne. I have never permitted her
to feel----”
 
“Ah,” she interrupted, “the wives of best friends! Nearly every man has
the wife of a best friend somewhere in his life’s history.” She shook
her head at him with mock mournfulness.
 
He flushed. “I trust you do not mean to imply that----”
 
“I know what you would say. No, I do not mean anything of the sort.
Still, you now have a wife of your own. Is it advisable to have also the
wife of a best friend?”
 
“Really, Yvonne, all this sounds very suspicious and--unpleasant. Mrs
Desmond is the soul of----”
 
“My dear man, why should you defend her? I am not accusing her. I am
merely going into the ethics of the situation. If you can forget that
Mrs Desmond is the wife of your friend and come to regard her as a
servant in your establishment, no one will be more happy than I to have
her about the place. She is fine, she is competent, she is a lady. But
she is not my equal here. Can’t you understand?”
 
He was thoughtful for a moment.
 
“I dare, say you are right. The conditions are peculiar. I can’t go
to her and say that she must consider herself as--oh, no, that would be
impossible.”
 
“I should like to have Mrs Desmond as my friend, not as my housekeeper,”
said his wife simply.
 
“By Jove, and that’s just what I should like,” he cried.
 
“There is but one way, you know.”
 
“She must be one or the other, eh?”
 
“Precisely,” she said with firmness. “In my country, James, the wives of
best friends haven’t the same moral standing that they appear to have in
yours. Oh, don’t scowl so! Shall I tell you again that I do not mean to
reflect on Mrs Desmond’s virtue--or discretion? Far from it. If she is to
be my friend, she cannot be your housekeeper. That’s the point. Has she
any means of her own? Can she----”
 
“She has a small income, and an annuity which I took out for her soon
after her poor husband’s death. We were the closest of friends----”
 
“I understand, James. You are very generous and very loyal. I quite
understand. Losing her position here, then, will not be a hardship?”
 
“No,” said he soberly.
 
“I am quite competent, James,” she said brightly. “You will not miss
her, I am sure.”
 
“It isn’t that, Yvonne,” he sighed. “Mrs Desmond and Lydia have been
factors in my life for so long that---- But, of course, that is neither
here nor there. I will explain the situation to her to-morrow. She will
understand.”
 
“Thank you, James. You are really quite reasonable.”
 
“Are you laughing at me, darling?”
 
She gave him one of her searching, unfathomable glances, and she smiled
with roguish mirth.
 
“Isn’t it your mission in life to amuse and entertain me?”
 
“I love you, Yvonne. Good God, how I love you!” he cried abruptly.
 
His eyes burned with a sudden flame of passion as he bent over her.
His face quivered; his whole being tingled with the fierce spasm of an
uncontrollable desire to crush the warm, adorable body to his breast in
the supreme ecstasy of possession.
 
She surrendered herself to his passionate embrace. A little later
she withdrew herself from his arms, her lips still quivering with the
fierceness of his kisses. Her eyes, dark with wonder and perplexity,
regarded his transfigured face for a long, tense moment.
 
“Is this love, James?” she whispered. “Is this the real, true love?”
 
“What else, in Heaven’s name, can it be?” he cried. He was sitting upon
the arm of her chair, looking down at the strangely pallid face.
 
“But should love have the power to frighten me?”
 
“Frighten, my darling?”
 
“Oh, it is not you who are frightened,” she cried. “You are the man. But
I--ah, I am only the woman.”
 
He stared. “What an odd way to put it, dear.”
 
Then he drew back, struck by the curious gleam of mockery in her eyes.
 
“Was it like this twenty-five years ago?” she asked.
 
“Yvonne!”
 
“Did you love her--like this?”
 
He managed to smile. “Are you jealous?”
 
“Tell me about her,”
 
His face hardened. “Some other time, not now.”
 
“But you loved her, didn’t you?”
 
“Don’t be silly, dear.”
 
“And she loved you. If you loved her as you love me, she could not have
helped----”
 
“Please, please, Yvonne!” he exclaimed, a dull red setting in his cheek.
 
“You have never told me her name----”
 
He faced her, his eyes as cold as steel. “I may as well tell you now,
Yvonne, that her name is never mentioned in this house.”
 
She seemed to shrink down farther in the chair.
 
“Why?” she asked, an insistent note in her voice.
 
“It isn’t necessary to explain.” He walked away from her to the window
and stood looking out over the bleak little courtyard. Neither spoke for
many minutes, and yet he knew that her questioning gaze was upon him and
that when he turned to her again she would ask still another question.
He tried to think of something to say that would turn her away from this
hated subject.
 
“Isn’t it time for you to dress, dearest? The Gunnings live pretty
far up north and the going will be bad with Fifth Avenue piled up with
snow----”
 
“Doesn’t Frederic ever mention his mother’s name?” came the question
that he feared before it was uttered.
 
“I am not certain that he knows her name,” said he levelly. The knuckles
of his hands, clenched tightly behind his back, were white. “He has
never heard me utter it.”
 
She looked at him darkly. There was something in her eyes that caused
him to shift his own steady gaze uncomfortably. He could not have
explained what it was, but it gave him a curiously uneasy feeling, as
of impending peril. It was not unlike the queer, inexplicable, though
definite, sensing of danger that more than once he had experienced in
the silent, tranquil depths of great forests.
 
“But you loved her just the same, James, up to the time you met me. Is
not that true?”
 
“No!” he exclaimed loudly. “It is not true.”
 
“I wonder what could have happened to make you so bitter toward her,”
she went on, still watching him through half-closed eyes. “Was she
unfaithful to you? Was----”
 
“Good God, Yvonne!” he cried, an angry light jumping into his eyes--the
eyes that so recently had been ablaze with love.
 
“Don’t be angry, dearest,” she cried plaintively. “We Europeans speak of
such things as if they were mere incidents. I forget that you Americans
take them seriously, as tragedies.”

댓글 없음: