2017년 2월 8일 수요일

Black is White 24

Black is White 24


Just before dinner she came up to see him. He was still shivering.
So was Mr Riggs, for that matter, but Mr Riggs failed to shiver
convincingly and did not receive the treatment he desired. Their
unexpected visitor felt the pulse and forehead of the sick man, uttered
a husky little cry of dismay, and announced that he had a fever.
Whereupon Mr Dawes said, rather shamefacedly, that he would be all right
in the morning and that it was nothing at all.
 
“We will have the doctor at once, Mr Dawes,” said she, and instructed Mr
Riggs to call Jones.
 
“I don’t want a doctor,” said Mr Dawes stoutly.
 
“I know you don’t,” said she, with her rarest smile; “but I _do_, you
see.”
 
“They’re no good,” said Mr Dawes.
 
“Better have one,” advised Mr Riggs with sudden solemnity.
 
“Never had one in my life,” said Mr Dawes. “Don’t believe in ‘em. I’ll
take a couple of stiff drinks before I go to bed and------”
 
“But you’ve gone to bed, you old dear,” cried she, stroking his burning
hand gently.
 
He was too astonished to say a word.
 
“Jumping Jees----” began Mr Riggs, completely staggered. “I mean, what
doctor, Mrs Brood?”
 
“Jones will know. Now, Mr Dawes, you must do just as I tell you to do.
You are nothing but a child, you know. If------”
 
“Hey, Joe!” called out the sick man desperately, but his comrade was
gone. “Don’t let him call a--doctor, Mrs Brood; please don’t!” he
implored.
 
She sat down on the edge of the bed, holding his hand between her soft,
cool palms, and smiled at him so tenderly that he stared for a moment in
utter bewilderment and then gulped mightily. “Hush!” she said.
 
“I--I don’t want to be sick here, bothering you and upsetting
everything------” he blubbered.
 
“We will have you up and about in a day or two,” she said.
 
“But it’s such an infernal nuisance. You oughtn’t to be sitting here,
either. It may be catching.”
 
“Nonsense! I’m not afraid.”
 
“It’s--it’s mighty good of you,” he muttered, his eyes blinking.
 
“What are friends for, Mr Dawes, if they can’t be depended upon in times
of sickness?”
 
“Friends?” he gasped.
 
“Certainly. Am I not your friend?”
 
“I--I--well, by gosh!” he exploded. “I--I must tell this to Joe.
He’ll--I beg your pardon, I guess I’m a little flighty. Maybe I’m worse
than I think. Delirious or something like that. Say, you don’t think
it’s--it’s serious, do you?”
 
“Of course not. A heavy cold, that’s all. The doctor will break it up
immediately.”
 
“Maybe it’s the grippe, eh?”
 
“Possibly.”
 
“What’s my temperature?”
 
“You mustn’t worry, Mr Dawes. It’s all right.”
 
He was silent for a moment, steadfastly regarding the hand that stroked
his wrinkled old paw so gently.
 
“If--if it should turn out to be pneumonia or lung fever, I wish you
wouldn’t let on to Joe,” said he anxiously. “It would worry him almost
to death. He’s not very strong, you see. Nothing like me. I’m as strong
as a bull. Never been sick in my------”
 
“I know,” she said quietly. “He isn’t half so strong as you, Mr Dawes.
You are so strong you will be able to throw off this cold in a jiffy, as
Jones would say. It won’t amount to anything.”
 
“If I get much worse you’d better send me to a hospital. Awful nuisance
having a sick man about the place. Spoils everything. Don’t hesitate
about sending me off, Mrs Brood. I wouldn’t be a trouble to you or Jim
for------”
 
“You poor old dear! You shall stay right where you are, no matter what
comes to pass, and I shall take charge of you myself.”
 
“You?” She nodded her head briskly. “Well, by jiggers, I--I don’t know
what Joe’ll say when I tell him this. Blast him; I’ll bet my head he
calls me a liar. If he does, blast him, I’ll oh, I beg your pardon! I
don’t seem to be able to get over the habit of------”
 
“Here is Mr Riggs--and my husband,” she interrupted, as the door opened
and the two men strode into the room. “Is Jones telephoning?”
 
“Yes,” said Brood. “Why, what’s gone wrong, old man?”
 
“It’s all my fault,” groaned Mr Riggs, sitting down heavily on the
opposite side of the bed. “I let him go out without his overcoat. He’s
not a strong man, Jim. Least breath of air goes right through-----”
 
“See here, Riggs, you know better than that,” roared the sick man
wrathfully. “I can stand more------”
 
“There, there!” cried Mrs Brood reprovingly. “It isn’t fair to quarrel
with Mr Riggs. He can’t very well abuse you in return, Mr Dawes, can
he?”
 
“You may be on your death-bed,” said Mr Riggs mournfully, as if that
were reason enough for not abusing him.
 
“Nonsense,” said Brood; but it was an anxious look that he shot at
Yvonne. Mr Dawes’s face was fiery hot.
 
“I shall come back to see you immediately after dinner, Mr Dawes,” said
she, and again stroked his hand.
 
The two old men stared after her rather blankly as she left the room.
They couldn’t believe their ears.
 
“She says she’ll look after me herself,” murmured Mr Dawes hazily.
Mr Riggs tucked the covers about his chin. “Don’t do that, Joe! Leave
things alone, darn you. She fixed ‘em as they ought to be.” Mr Riggs
obediently undid his work. “That’s right. Now don’t you do anything
without askin’ her, d’ye hear?”
 
“I was only trying to make you------”
 
“Well, don’t do it. Leave everything to her.” The upshot of it all was
that Mr Dawes came near to dying. Pneumonia set in at once, and for
many days he fought what appeared to be a losing fight. Then came the
splendid days of convalescence, the happiest days of his life. The
amazing Mrs Brood did “look after him.” Nurses there were, of course,
and doctors in consultation, but it was the much-berated mistress of the
house who “pulled him through,” as he afterward and always declared in
acrimonious disputes with Mr Riggs who, while secretly blessing the wife
of Brood, could not be driven into an open admission that she had
done “anything more than anybody else would have done under the
circumstances,”--and not “half as much, for that matter, as he could have
done had he been given a chance.”
 
It may be well to observe here that Mr Riggs was of no earthly use
whatever during the trying days: Indeed, he gave up hope the instant
the doctor said “pneumonia,” and went about the house saying “My God” to
himself and everybody else in sepulchral whispers, all the while urging
Heaven to “please do something.” He was too pathetic for words.
 
A new and totally unsuspected element in Yvonne’s make-up came to light
at this troublous period. She forsook many pleasures, many comforts in
her eagerness to help the suffering old man who, she must have known, in
his heart had long despised her. She did not interfere with the nurses,
yet made herself so indispensable to old Mr Dawes in the capacity of
“visiting angel” that his heart overflowed with gratitude and love.
Even when death hung directly above his almost sightless eyes he saw
her smile of encouragement in the shadows, and his spirit responded with
what might justly have been called the battle-cry of life.
 
To Brood this new side to Yvonne’s far from understandable character
was most gratifying. Seeing her in the rôle of good Samaritan was not
so surprising to him as the real, unaffected sincerity with which she
ministered to the wants of the querulous old man.
 
Even the nurses, habitually opposed to the good offices of “the family,”
were won over by this woman whose unparalleled sweetness levelled them
into a condition of respect and love that surprised not only themselves
but the doctors. They were quite docile from the start, and seldom, if
ever, spoke of Mr Dawes as “the patient” or of his state as “the case.”
They got into the habit of alluding to him as the “dear old man,” and
somehow envied each other the hours “on duty.” They were never sour.
 
And so, when it came time for Mr Dawes to thank the Lord for his escape,
he refused to commit himself to anything so ridiculous! He even went so
far as to declare that the doctor had nothing to do with it, a statement
which rather staggered the nurses.
 
For hours Yvonne read to the blissful old chap. Sometimes she read to
him in French, again in Russian, and occasionally in German. It was all
one to him. He did not understand a word of it, but he was happy. He
felt surprisingly young.
 
She gave up a month to him and he was prepared to give up his life to
her. To his utter amazement, however, she did not exact anything so
valuable as that. Indeed, when his recovery was quite complete, she
calmly forgot his existence and he sank back into the oblivion from
which calamity had dragged him; sank back to the unhappy level of
Mr Riggs and all the others who failed to interest her; and there he
dreamed of exalted days when she wanted him to live, contrasting them
with these days in which he might just as well be dead for all she
seemed to care! He was one of the “old men” again.   

댓글 없음: