2017년 2월 8일 수요일

Black is White 26

Black is White 26



Anger dulled her understanding; she did not grasp the full meaning of
his declaration. Her honest heart rose to the defence of Frederic.
 
“Mr Brood, I do care for Frederic,” she flamed, standing very erect
before him. “He is not himself, he has not been himself since she came
here. Oh, I am fully aware of what I am saying. He is not to be blamed
for this thing that has happened to him. No one is to blame. It had to
be. I can wait, Mr Brood. Frederic loves me. I know he does. He will
come back to me. You have no right to say that he loves lightly,
ignobly. You do not know him as I know him. You have never tried to know
him, never wanted to know him. You--oh, I beg your pardon, Mr Brood.
I--I am forgetting myself.”
 
“I am afraid you do not understand yourself, Lydia,” said he levelly.
“You are young, you are trusting. Your lesson will cost you a great
deal, my dear.”
 
“You are mistaken. I do understand myself,” she said gravely. “May I
speak plainly, Mr Brood?”
 
“Certainly. I intend to speak plainly to you.”
 
“Frederic loves me. He does not love Yvonne. He is fascinated, as I also
am fascinated by her, and you, too, Mr Brood. The spell has fallen over
all of us. Let me go on, please. You say that Frederic loves like his
father before him. That is true. He loves but one woman. You love but
one woman, and she is dead. You will always love her. Frederic is like
you. He loves Yvonne as you do oh, I know it hurts! She cast her spell
over you, why not over him? Is he stronger than you? Is it strange that
she should attract him as she attracted you? You glory in her beauty,
her charm, her perfect loveliness, and yet you love yes, _love_, Mr
Brood--the woman who was Frederic’s mother. Do I make my meaning plain?
Well, so it is that Frederic loves me. I am content to wait. I know he
loves me.”
 
Through all this Brood stared at her in sheer astonishment. He had no
feeling of anger, no resentment, no thought of protest.
 
“You--you astound me, Lydia. Is this your own impression, or has it been
suggested to you by by another?”
 
“I am only agreeing with you when you say that he loves as his father
loved before him--but not lightly. Ah, not lightly, Mr Brood.”
 
“You don’t know what you are saying,” he muttered.
 
“Oh, yes, I do,” she cried earnestly. “You invite my opinion; I trust
you will accept it for what it is worth. Before you utter another word
against Frederic, let me remind you that I have known both of you for a
long, long time. In all the years I have been in this house I have never
known you to grant him a tender, loving word. My heart has ached for
him. There have been times when I almost hated you. He feels your
neglect, your harshness, your--your cruelty. He------”
 
“Cruelty!”
 
“It is nothing less. You do not like him. I cannot understand why you
should treat him as you do. He shrinks from you. Is it right, Mr Brood,
that a son should shrink from his father as a dog cringes at the voice
of an unkind master? I might be able to understand your attitude toward
him if your unkindness was of recent origin, but------”
 
“Recent origin?” he demanded quickly.
 
“If it had begun with the advent of Mrs Brood,” she explained frankly,
undismayed by his scowl. “I do not understand all that has gone before.
Is it surprising, Mr Brood, that your son finds it difficult to love
you? Do you deserve------”
 
Brood stopped her with a gesture of his hand.
 
“The time has come for frankness on my part. You set me an example,
Lydia. You have the courage of your father. For months I have had it in
my mind to tell you the truth about Frederic, but my courage has always
failed me. Perhaps I use the wrong word. It may be something very unlike
cowardice that has held me back. I am going to put a direct question to
you first of all, and I ask you to answer truthfully. Would you say
that Frederic is like--that is, resembles his father?” He was leaning
forward, his manner intense.
 
Lydia was surprised.
 
“What an odd thing to say! Of course he resembles his father. I have
never seen a portrait of his mother, but------”
 
“You mean that he looks like me?” demanded Brood.
 
“Certainly. What do you mean?”
 
Brood laughed, a short, ugly laugh--and then fingered his chin
nervously.
 
“He resembles his mother,” he said.
 
“When he is angry he is very much like you, Mr Brood. I have often
wondered why he is unlike you at other times. Now I know. He is like his
mother. She must have been lovely, gentle, patient------”
 
“Wait I Suppose I were to tell you that Frederic is not my son.”
 
“I should not believe you, Mr Brood,” she replied flatly. “What is it
that you are trying to say to me?”
 
He turned away abruptly.
 
“I will not go on with it. The subject is closed. There is nothing to
tell--at present.”
 
She placed herself in front of him, resolute and determined.
 
“I insist, Mr Brood. The time _has_ come for you to be frank. You must
tell me what you meant by that remark.”
 
“Has your mother never told you anything concerning my past life?” he
demanded.
 
“What has my mother to do with your past life?” she inquired, suddenly
afraid.
 
“I refer only to what she may have heard from your father. He knew more
than any of them. I confided in him to a great extent. I had to unburden
myself to someone. He was my best friend. It is not improbable that he
repeated certain parts of my story to your mother.”
 
“She has told me that you--you were not happy, Mr Brood.”
 
“Is that all?”
 
“I--I think so.”
 
“Is that all?” he insisted.
 
“When I was a little girl I heard my father say to her that your life
had been ruined by--well, that your marriage had turned out badly,” she
confessed haltingly.
 
“What more did he say?”
 
“He said--I remember feeling terribly about it--he said you had driven
your wife out of this very house.”
 
“Did he speak of another man?”
 
“Yes. Her music-master.”
 
“You were too young to know what that meant, eh?”
 
“I knew that you never saw her after--after she left this house.”
 
“Will you understand how horrible it all was if I say to you now
that--Frederic is not my son?”
 
Her eyes filled with horror.
 
“How can you say such a thing, Mr Brood? He is your son. How can you
say------”
 
“His father is the man who wrote the accursed waltz he has just been
playing! Could there be anything more devilish than the conviction it
carries? After all these years, he------”
 
“Stop, Mr Brood!”
 
“I am sorry if I hurt you, Lydia. You have asked me why I hate him. Need
I say anything more?”
 
“You have only made me love him more than ever before. You cannot hurt
me through Frederic.”
 
“I am sorry that it has come to such a pass as this. It is not right
that you should be made to suffer, too.”
 
“I do not believe all that you have told me. He _is_ your son. He _is_,
Mr Brood.”
 
“I would to God I could believe that!” he cried in a voice of agony. “I
would to God it were true!”
 
“You could believe it if you chose to believe your own eyes, your own
heart.” She lowered her voice to a half whisper. “Does--does Frederic
know? Does he know that his mother--oh, I can’t believe it!”
 
“He does not know.”
 
“And you did drive her out of this house?” Brood did not answer. “You
sent her away and and kept her boy, the boy who was nothing to you?
Nothing!”
 
“I kept him,” he said, with a queer smile on his lips.
 
“All these years? He never knew his mother?”
 
“He has never heard her name spoken.”
 
“And she?”
 
“I only know that she is dead. She never saw him after--after that day.”
 
“And now, Mr Brood, may I ask why you have always intended to tell me
this dreadful thing?” she demanded, her eyes gleaming with a fierce,
accusing light.
 
He stared. “Doesn’t--doesn’t it put a different light on your estimate
of him? Doesn’t it convince you that he is not worthy of------”
 
“No! A thousand times no!” she cried. “I love him. If he were to ask me
to be his wife tonight I would rejoice--oh, I would rejoice! Someone is

댓글 없음: