2017년 2월 8일 수요일

Black is White 32

Black is White 32


“You are a strong, self-willed, chivalrous man, and yet you think
nothing of asking a woman to protect you against yourself; You are
afraid to stand alone. Wait! You need me because you are a strong
man and are afraid that your very strength will lead you into ignoble
warfare. You are afraid of your strength, not of your weakness. So you
ask me to help you. Without thinking, you ask me to marry you to-morrow.
The idea came to you like a flash of light in the darkness. Five
minutes--yes, one minute before you asked it of me, Freddy dear, you
were floundering in the darkness, uncertain which way to turn. You were
afraid of the things you could not see. You looked for some place in
which to hide. The flash of light revealed a haven of refuge. So you
asked me to to marry you to-morrow.”
 
All through this indictment she had held his hand clasped tightly in
both of hers. He was looking at her with a frank acknowledgment growing
in his eyes.
 
“Are you ashamed of me, Lyddy?” he asked. “No,” she said, meeting his
gaze steadily. “I am a little disappointed, that’s all. It is you who
are ashamed.”
 
“I am,” said he simply. “It wasn’t fair.”
 
“Love will endure. I am content to wait,” she said with a wistful smile.
 
“You will be my wife, no matter what happens? You won’t let this make
any difference?”
 
“You are not angry with me?”
 
“Angry? Why should I be angry with you, Lyddy? For shaking some sense
into me? For seeing through me with that wonderful, far-sighted brain of
yours? Why, I could go down on my knees to you. I could------”
 
“Let me think, Freddy,” she cried, suddenly confronted by her own
declaration of the night before. She had told James Brood that she would
marry this discredited son of his the instant he was ready to take her
unto himself. She had flung that in the older man’s face, and she had
meant every word of it.
 
“I--I take back what I said, dear. I will marry you to-morrow.” She
spoke rapidly; jerkily; her eyes were very dark and luminous.
 
“What has come over you?” He stared at her in astonishment. “What--oh, I
see! You are not sure of me. You------”
 
“Yes, yes, I am! It isn’t that. I did not know what I was saying when I
refused to------”
 
“Oh, there you go, just like a woman!” he cried triumphantly. “Spoiling
everything! You dear, lovable, inconsequent, regular girl! Hurray! Now
we’re back where we began, and I’m holding the whip. You bring me to my
senses and then promptly lose your own.” He clasped her in his arms and
held her close. “You dear, dear Lyddy!”
 
“I mean it, dear heart.” The whisper smothered in his embrace.
“To-morrow-to-day, if you will. We will go away. We will------”
 
“No,” he said, quite resolutely; “you have shown me the way. I’ve
just got to make good in your estimation before I can hold you to your
promise. You’re splendid, Lyddy; you’re wonderful, but--well, I was
unfair a while ago. I mean to be fair now. We’ll wait. It’s better so.
I will come again and ask you, but it won’t be as it was just now. It
would not be right for me to take you at your word. We’ll wait.”
 
Neither spoke for many minutes. It was she who broke the silence.
 
“You must promise one thing, Frederic. For my sake, avoid a quarrel with
your father. I could not bear that. You will promise, dear? You must.”
 
“I don’t intend to quarrel with him; but if I am to remain in his house
there has got to be------”
 
He paused, his jaw set stubbornly.
 
“Promise me you will wait. He is going away in two weeks. When he
returns--later on--next fall------”
 
“Oh, if it really distresses you, Lyddy, I’ll------”
 
“It does distress me. I want your promise.”
 
“I’ll do my part,” he said resignedly, “and next fall will see us
married, so------”
 
The telephone--bell in the hall was ringing. Frederic released Lydia’s
hand and sat up rather Stiffly, as one who suddenly suspects that he is
being spied upon. The significance of the movement did not escape Lydia.
She laughed mirthlessly.
 
“I will see who it is,” she said, and arose. Two red spots appeared in
his cheeks. Then it was that she realised he had been waiting all along
for the bell to ring; he had been expecting a summons.
 
“If it’s for me, please say--er--say I’ll------” he began, somewhat
disjointedly, but she interrupted him.
 
“Will you stay here for luncheon, Frederic? And this afternoon we will
go to--oh, is there a concert or a recital------”
 
“Yes, I’ll stay if you’ll let me,” he said wistfully. “We’ll find
something to do.”
 
She went to the telephone. He heard the polite greetings, the polite
assurances that she had not taken cold, two or three laughing rejoinders
to what must have been amusing comments on the storm and its effect on
timid creatures, and then:
 
“Yes, Mrs Brood, I will call him to the phone.”
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XIV
 
Frederic had the feeling that he slunk to the telephone. The girl
handed the receiver to him and he met her confident, untroubled gaze for
a second. Instead of returning to the sitting-room where she could have
heard everything that he said, she went into her own room down the hall
and closed the door. He was not conscious of any intention to temporise,
but it was significant that he did not speak until the door closed
behind her. Afterward he realised and was ashamed.
 
Almost the first words that Yvonne uttered were of a nature to puzzle
and irritate him, although they bore directly upon his own previously
formed resolution. Her voice, husky and low, seemed strangely plaintive
and lifeless to him.
 
“Have you and Lydia made any plans for the afternoon?” she inquired. He
made haste to declare their intention to attend a concert. “I am glad
you are going to do that,” she went on.
 
“Are you ill, Yvonne?” he queried suddenly. “I? Oh, no. I think I never
felt better in my life than I do at this moment. The storm must have
blown the cobwebs out of my brain. I believe I’m quite happy to-day,
Frederic.”
 
“Aren’t you always happy?” he cried chidingly. “What an odd thing to
say.”
 
She did not respond to this.
 
“You will stay for luncheon with Lydia?”
 
“Yes. She’s trying to pick up that thing of Feverelli’s--the one we
heard last night.” There was silence at the other end of the wire, “Are
you there?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“I’m teaching it to her.”
 
“I see.”
 
“I will be home for dinner, of course. You--you don’t need me for
anything, do you?”
 
“No,” she said. Then, with a low laugh: “You may be excused for the day,
my son.”
 
“What’s wrong?” he demanded, lowering his voice.
 
“Wrong? Nothing is wrong. Everything seems right to me. Your father and
I have been discussing the trip abroad.”
 
“Is--is it settled?”
 
“Yes. We are to sail on the twenty-fifth--in ten days.”
 
“Settled, eh?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“I thought you--you were opposed to going.”
 
“I’ve changed my mind. As a matter of fact, I’ve changed my heart.”
 
“You speak in riddles.”
 
“Your father has gone out to arrange for passage on the _Olympic_. He is
lunching at the Lawyers’ Club.”
 
“You will lunch alone, then?”
 
“Naturally.”
 
He suppressed an impulse.
 
“I’m sorry, Yvonne.”
 
She was silent for a long time.
 
“Frederic, I want you to do something for me.”
 
“I--I’ve promised Lydia to stay here------”
 
“Oh, it isn’t that. Will you try to convince Lydia that I meant no
offence last night when I------”
 
“She understands all that perfectly, Yvonne.”   

댓글 없음: