2017년 2월 8일 수요일

Black is White 44

Black is White 44


“_En bien, madame. La Provence. Il part demain. Je------_”
 
“Go at once!” cried the mistress, waving her hands excitedly.
 
“_Vous me renvoyez!_” And the little maid dashed out of the room.
 
As she descended the back stairs an amazing change came over her. Her
sprightly face became black with sullen rage and her eyes snapped with
fury. So violent was her manner when she accosted Jones in the servants’
hall that he fell back in some alarm. She was not long in making him
understand that she had been dismissed, however, and that she would
surely poison the diabolical creature upstairs if she remained in the
house another hour. Even the cook, who had a temper of her own, was
appalled by the exhibition; other servants were struck dumb.
 
Jones, perspiring freely, said something about calling in an officer,
and then Céleste began to weep bitterly. All she wanted was to get out
of the house before she did something desperate to the cruel tyrant
upstairs, and she’d be eternally grateful to Jones if he’d get her
trunks out of the storeroom as soon as------ But Jones was already on
his way to give instructions to the furnace-man.
 
Céleste took the occasion to go into hysterics, and the entire servant
body fell to work hissing “_Sh--h!_” in an agony of apprehension lest
the turmoil should penetrate the walls and reach the ears of the “woman
upstairs.” They closed all of the doors and most of the windows, and the
upstairs maid thought it would be a good idea to put a blanket over the
girl’s head.
 
Left alone, Yvonne turned her attention to the window across the
court and two floors above her the heavily curtained window in Brood’s
“retreat.” There was no sign of life there, so she hurried to the front
of the house to wait for the departure of James Brood and his man.
The two were going down the front steps. At the bottom Brood spoke to
Ranjab, and the latter, as imperturbable as a rock, bowed low and moved
off in an opposite direction to that taken by his master. She watched
until both were out of sight. Then she rapidly mounted the stairs to the
top floor.
 
Frederic was lying on the couch near the jade room door. She was able
to distinguish his long, dark figure after peering intently about the
shadowy interior in what seemed at first to be a vain search for him.
She shrank back, her eyes fixed in horror upon the prostrate shadow.
Suddenly he stirred and then half raised himself on one elbow to stare
at the figure in the doorway.
 
“Is it _you?_” he whispered hoarsely, and dropped back with a great sigh
on his lips.
 
Her heart leaped. The blood rushed back to her face. Quickly closing the
door, she advanced into the room, her tread as swift and as soft as a
cat’s.
 
“He has gone out. We are quite alone,” she said, stopping to lean
against the table, suddenly faint with excitement.
 
He laughed, a bitter, mirthless, snarling laugh.
 
“Get up, Frederic. Be a man! I know what has happened. Get up! I want to
talk it over with you. We must plan. We must decide now at once--before
he returns.” The words broke from her lips with sharp, staccato-like
emphasis.
 
He came to a sitting posture slowly, all the while staring at her with a
dull wonder in his heavy eyes.
 
“Pull yourself together,” she cried hurriedly. “We cannot talk here. I
am afraid in this room. It has ears, I know. That awful Hindu is always
here, even though he may seem to be elsewhere. We will go down to my
boudoir.”
 
He slowly shook his head and then allowed his chin to sink dejectedly
into his hands. With his elbows resting on his knees, he watched her
movements in a state of increasing interest and bewilderment. She turned
abruptly to the Buddha, whose placid, smirking countenance seemed to be
alive to the situation in all of its aspects. Standing close, her hands
behind her back, her figure very erect and theatric, she proceeded to
address the image in a voice full of mockery.
 
“Well, my chatterbox friend, I have pierced his armour, haven’t I? He
will creep up here and ask you, his wonderful god, to tell him what to
do about it, _aie?_ His wits are tangled. He doubts his senses. And
when he comes to you, my friend, and whines his secret doubts into your
excellent and trustworthy ear, do me the kindness to keep the secret I
shall now whisper to you, for I trust you, too, you amiable fraud.”
 
Standing on tiptoe, she put her lips to the idol’s ear and whispered.
Frederic, across the room, roused from his lethargy by the strange
words and still stranger action, rose to his feet and took several steps
toward her.
 
“There! Now you know everything. You know more than James Brood knows,
for you know what his charming wife is about to do next.” She drew back
and regarded the image through half-closed, smouldering eyes. “But he
will know before long--before long.”
 
“What are you doing, Yvonne?” demanded Frederic unsteadily.
 
She whirled about and came toward him, her hands still clasped behind
her back.
 
“Come with me,” she said, ignoring his question.
 
“He--he thinks I am in love with you,” said he, shaking his head.
 
“And are you not in love with me?”
 
He was startled. “Good Lord, Yvonne!”
 
She came quite close to him. He could feel the warmth that travelled
from her body across the short space that separated them. The
intoxicating perfume filled his nostrils; he drew a deep breath, his
eyes closing slowly as his senses prepared to succumb to the delicious
spell that came over him. When he opened them an instant later she was
still facing him, as straight and fearless as a soldier, and the light
of victory was in her dark, compelling eyes.
 
“Well,” she said deliberately, “I am ready to go away with you.”
 
He fell back stunned beyond the power of speech. His brain was filled
with a thousand clattering noises.
 
“He has turned you out,” she went on rapidly. “He disowns you. Very
well; the time has come for me to exact payment of him for that and for
all that has gone before. I shall go away with you. I------”
 
“Impossible!” he cried, finding his tongue and drawing still farther
away from her.
 
“Are you not in love with me?” she whispered softly.
 
He put his hands to his eyes to shut out the alluring vision.
 
“For God’s sake, Yvonne--leave me. Let me go my way. Let me------”
 
“He cursed your mother! He curses you! He damns you--as he damned her.
You can pay him up for everything. You owe nothing to him. He has killed
every------”
 
Frederic straightened up suddenly and, with a loud cry of exultation,
raised his clenched hands above his head.
 
“By Heaven, I will break him! I will make him pay! Do you know what
he has done to me? Listen to this: he boasts of having reared me to
manhood, as one might bring up a prize beast, that he might make me pay
for the wrong that my poor mother did a quarter of a century ago. All
these years he has had in mind this thing that he has done to-day. All
my life has been spent in preparation for the sacrifice that came an
hour ago. I have suffered all these years in ignorance of------”
 
“Not so loud!” she whispered, alarmed by the vehemence of his reawakened
fury.
 
“Oh, I’m not afraid!” he cried savagely. “Can you imagine anything more
diabolical than the scheme he has had in mind all these years? To pay
back my mother--whom he loved and still loves--yes, by Heaven, he still
loves her--he works to this beastly end! He made her suffer the agonies
of the damned up to the day of her death by refusing her the right to
have the child that he swears is no child of his. Oh, you don’t know
the story you don’t know the kind of man you have for a husband--you
don’t------”
 
“Yes, yes; I do know!” she cried violently, beating her breast with
clenched hands. “I _do_ know! I know that he still loves the poor girl
who went out of this house with his curses ringing in her ears a score
of years ago, and who died still hearing them. And I had almost come
to the point of pitying him--I was failing--I was weakening. He is
a wonderful man. I--I was losing myself. But that is all over. Three
months ago I could have left him without a pang--yesterday I was afraid
that it would never be possible. To-day he makes it easy for me. He has
hurt you beyond all reason, not because he hates you, but because he
loved your mother.”
 
“But you do love him!” cried Frederic in stark wonder. “You don’t
care the snap of your fingers for me. What is all this you are saying,
Yvonne? You must be mad. Think! Think what you are saying.”
 
“I have thought--I am always thinking. I know my own mind well enough.
It is settled: I am going away, and I am going with you.”
 
“You can’t be in earnest!”
 
“I am desperately in earnest. You owe nothing to him now. He says you
are not his son. You owe nothing but hatred to him, and you should pay.
You owe vengeance for your mother’s sake for the sake of her whose face
you have come to love, who loved you to the day she died, I am sure. He
will proclaim to the world that you are not his son, he will brand you
with the mark of shame, he will drive you out of New York. You are the
son of a music-master, he shouts from the housetops! Your mother was a
vile woman, he shouts from the housetops! You cannot remain here. You
_must_ go. You must take me with you. Ah, you are thinking of Lydia!
Well, are you thinking of dragging her through the mire that he will
create? Are you willing to give her the name he declares is not yours to
give? Are you a craven, whipped coward who will not strike back when the
chance is offered to give a blow that will------”
 
“I cannot listen to you, Yvonne!” cried Frederic, aghast. His heart was

댓글 없음: