2017년 2월 8일 수요일

Black is White 46

Black is White 46


“God knows that is true,” he said hoarsely.
 
“But enough of that! I am stricken with my own poison. Go to the door!
See if he is there. I fear------”
 
“No one is near,” said he, after striding swiftly to both doors,
listening at one and peering out through the other.
 
“You will have to go away, Frederic. I shall have to go. But we shall
not go together. In my room I have kept hidden the sum of ten thousand
dollars, waiting for the day to come when I should use it to complete
the game I have played. I knew that you would have no money of your
own. I was prepared even for that. Look again! See if anyone is there? I
feel--I feel that someone is near us. Look, I say!”
 
He obeyed.
 
“See! There is no one near.” He held open the door to the hall. “You
must speak quickly. I am to leave this house in an hour. I was given the
hour.**
 
“Ah, I can see by your face that you hate him! It is well. That is
something. It is but little, I know, after all I have wished for--but it
is something for me to treasure--something for me to take back with me
to the one sacred little spot in this beastly world of men and women.”
 
“Yvonne, you are the most incomprehensible------”
 
“Am I not beautiful, Frederic? Tell me!” She came quite close to him.
 
“You are the most beautiful woman in all the world,” he said abjectly.
 
“And I have wasted all my beauty--I have lent it to unloveliness, and it
has not been destroyed! It is still with me, is it not? I have not lost
it in------”
 
“You are beautiful beyond words--beyond anything I have ever imagined,”
said he, suddenly passing his hand over his brow.
 
“You would have loved me if it had not been for Lydia?”
 
“I couldn’t have helped myself. I--I fear I--faltered in my--are you
still trying to tempt me? Are you still asking me to go away with you?”
 
A hoarse cry came from the doorway behind them--a cry of pain and anger
that struck terror to their souls.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XIX
 
Transfixed, they watched James Brood take two or three steps into the
room. At his back was the swarthy Hindu, his eyes gleaming like coals of
fire in the shadowy light.
 
“James!” fell tremulously from the lips of Yvonne. She swayed toward him
as Ranjab grasped his arm from behind.
 
Frederic saw the flash of something bright as it passed from the brown
hand to the white one. He did not at once comprehend.
 
“It happened once,” came hoarsely from the throat of James Brood. “It
shall not happen again. Thank you, Ranjab.”
 
Then Frederic knew. The Hindu had slipped a revolver into his master’s
hand!
 
“It gives me great pleasure, Yvonne, to relieve you of that worthless
thing you call your life.”
 
As he raised his arm Frederic sprang forward with a shout of horror.
Scarcely realising what he did, he hurled Yvonne violently to one side.
 
It was all over in the twinkling of an eye. There was a flash, the crash
of an explosion, a puff of smoke, and the smell of burned powder.
 
Frederic stood perfectly still for an instant, facing the soft cloud
that rose from the pistol--barrel, an __EXPRESSION__ of vague amazement in
his face. Then his hand went uncertainly to his breast.
 
Already James Brood had seen the red blotch that spread with incredible
swiftness--blood--red against the snowy white of the broad shirt bosom.
Glaring with wide--open eyes at the horrid spot, he stood there with the
pistol still levelled.
 
“Good God, father, you’ve--why, you’ve------” struggled from Frederic’s
writhing lips, and then his knees sagged; an instant later they gave way
with a rush and he dropped heavily to the floor.
 
There was not a sound in the room. Suddenly Brood made a movement, quick
and spasmodic. At the same instant Ranjab flung himself forward and
grasped his master’s arm. He had turned the revolver upon himself! The
muzzle was almost at his temple when the Hindu seized his hand in a grip
of iron.
 
“_Sahib! Sahib!_” he hissed. “What would you do?” Wrenching the weapon
from the stiff, unresisting fingers, he hurled it across the room.
 
Brood groaned. His tall body swerved forward, but his legs refused to
carry him. The Hindu caught him as he was sinking limply to his knees.
With a tremendous effort of the will, Brood succeeded in conquering the
black unconsciousness that was assailing him. He straightened up to his
full height and with trembling fingers pointed to the prostrate figure
on the floor.
 
“The pistol, Ranjab! Where is it? Give it to me! Man, can I live after
_that?_ I have killed my son--my own son! Quick, man!”
 
“_Sahib!_” cried the Hindu, wringing his hands. “I cannot! I cannot!”
 
“I command you! The pistol!”
 
Without a word the Hindu, fatalist, slave, pagan that he was, turned to
do his master’s bidding. It was not for him to say nay, it was not for
him to oppose the will of the master, but to obey.
 
All this time Yvonne was crouching against the table, her horrified
gaze upon the great red blotch that grew to terrible proportions as she
watched. She had not moved, she had not breathed, she had not taken
her hands from her ears where she had placed them at the sound of the
explosion.
 
“Blood! It is blood!” she moaned, and for the first time since the
shot was fired her husband glanced at the one for whom the bullet had
originally been intended.
 
An __EXPRESSION__ of incredulity leaped into his face, as if he could not
believe his senses. She was alive and unhurt! His bullet had not touched
her. His brain fumbled for the explanation of this miracle. He had not
aimed at Frederic, he had not fired at him, and yet he lay stretched out
there before him, bleeding, while the one he had meant to destroy was
living--incomprehensively living! How had it happened? What agency had
swept his deadly bullet out of its path to find lodgment in the
wrong heart? There was no blood gushing from her breast; he could not
understand it.
 
She did not take her eyes from the great red blot; she was fascinated
by the horror that spread farther and farther across the gleaming white.
She was alone, utterly alone with the most dreadful thing she had ever
known; alone with that appalling thing called death. A life was leaving
its warm, beautiful home as she watched, leaving in a path of red,
creeping away across a stretch of white!
 
“Blood!” she wailed again, a long, shuddering word that came not from
her lips but from the very depths of her terror--stricken soul.
 
Slowly Brood’s mind worked out of the maze. His shot had gone straight,
but Frederic himself had leaped into its path to save this miserable
creature who would have damned his soul if life had been spared to him.
 
Ranjab crawled to his side, his eyes covered with one arm, the other
extended. Blindly the master felt for the pistol, not once removing his
eyes from the pallid figure against the table. His fingers closed upon
the weapon. Then the Hindu looked up, warned by the strange voice that
spoke to him from the mind of his master. He saw the arm slowly extend
itself with a sinister hand directed straight at the figure of the
woman. This time Brood was making sure of his aim, so sure that the
lithe Hindu had time to spring to his feet weapon.
 
“Master! Master!” he cried out.
 
Brood turned to look at his man in sheer bewilderment. What could all
this mean? What was the matter with the fellow?
 
“Down, Ranjab!” he commanded in a low, cautious tone, as he would have
used in speaking to a dog when the game was run to earth.
 
“There is but one bullet left, _sahib!_” cried the man.
 
“Only one is required,” said the master hazily.
 
“You have killed your son. This bullet is for yourself.”
 
“Yes! But--but see! She lives! She------”
 
The Hindu struck his own breast significantly.
 
“Thy faithful servant remains, _sahib_. Die, if thou wilt, but leave her
to Ranjab. There is but one bullet left. It is for you. You must not be
here to witness the death Ranjab, thy servant, shall inflict upon her.
Shoot thyself now, if so be it, but spare thyself the sight of------”
 
He did not finish the sentence, but his strong, bony fingers went
through the motion that told a more horrible story than words could have
expressed. There was no mistaking his meaning. He had elected himself
her executioner.   

댓글 없음: