2015년 2월 22일 일요일

Andy Grant's Pluck 4

Andy Grant's Pluck 4



Andy was not apparently exerting himself, but pulled a strong, steady
stroke, and seemed quite free from excitement. For the first time Conrad
saw that he was a competitor not to be despised.
 
After the turn Conrad and Andy led the procession. Next came Jimmy
Morris, and last of all Dennis Carlyle.
 
The latter managed to catch a crab, and in his attempt to right himself
tumbled into the water.
 
"Don't mind me!" he called out humorously. "I am only taking a bath."
 
So the other contestants kept on, in the same order.
 
But this was not to continue. Suddenly Andy made a spurt and forged
ahead of Conrad. The young aristocrat could hardly believe his eyes when
he saw Valentine's boat, impelled by a competitor whom he had despised,
take the leading place.
 
He flushed with vexation and made a desperate effort to regain his lost
position. But he was excited, and did not use his strength to the best
advantage.
 
To his great annoyance he saw that Andy was continuing to gain upon him,
and that without any great effort. His smooth, steady stroke was most
effective. Even the unpracticed eye could see his superiority to any of
his competitors.
 
When the goal was reached he was five lengths ahead of Conrad, and
twelve lengths ahead of Jimmy Morris.
 
It was a genuine surprise to the spectators, and a great shout went up.
 
"Three cheers for Andy Grant!"
 
Andy smiled, and he raised his hat in acknowledgment of the compliment.
 
Mr. Gale pressed forward and greeted the young victor.
 
"You have done yourself credit," he said. "You know how to row. Where
did you learn?"
 
"At Penhurst Academy; I was trained by a Harvard oarsman."
 
"He understood his business, and so do you. I have great pleasure in
presenting you with the prize."
 
With a sullen look Conrad listened to those words. Without a word he
sprang on shore, and, as soon as he could, turned his back upon the
picnic.
 
"Conrad is terribly disappointed!" said Valentine. "You have made
yourself famous, Andy."
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER VI.
 
A LIBERAL OFFER.
 
 
Thoroughly mortified and crestfallen, Conrad went home. He hoped to go
up to his room without observation, but his father noticed his entrance.
 
"Well, Conrad," he said, with a smile, "did you carry off the honors at
the picnic?"
 
"No, I didn't," answered Conrad, bitterly.
 
"Did Valentine Burns defeat you?"
 
"No."
 
"Who did win the prize?"
 
"Andy Grant."
 
Squire Carter was amazed.
 
"Can he row?" he ejaculated.
 
"Yes, a little."
 
"But he beat you?"
 
"I tell you how it was, father," said Conrad, who had decided upon his
story. "I was well ahead till we got halfway back, when I got a terrible
pain in my arm. I must have strained it, I think. Of course I couldn't
do anything after that, and Andy, who was next to me, went in and won."
 
Squire Carter never thought of doubting Conrad's story. His pride
extended to his family and all connected with him, and he felt satisfied
that Conrad was the best rower in the village.
 
"Where did the Grant boy learn to row?" he asked.
 
"I heard him tell Mr. Gale that he learned at the academy."
 
"You don't think he is equal to you?"
 
"Of course he isn't. I am miles ahead of him."
 
"It was very unfortunate that your arm gave out. You had better speak to
your mother, and she will put some arnica on it."
 
"I will," said Conrad cunningly. "I would rather have had any boy beat
me than that upstart, Andy Grant. He will put on no end of airs.
Besides, I shall miss the money."
 
"That, at any rate, I can make up to you. Here are two five-dollar
bills."
 
"Thank you, father," said Conrad, as, with much satisfaction, he
pocketed the bills. "It was lucky I thought about the strain," he said
to himself. "All the same, it is awfully humiliating to be beaten by
that beggar."
 
"How do you think Conrad accounts for his defeat, Andy?" said Valentine
the next day.
 
"I can't tell."
 
"He says he strained the muscles of his arm."
 
Andy smiled.
 
"If it will make him feel any better, I have no objection to that
explanation."
 
"His father has given him ten dollars, so he will not lose any money.
But he won't get any of the boys to believe his story."
 
"The money is very acceptable to me," said Andy. "If I had lost, my
father couldn't have made it up to me."
 
At five o'clock, on his way to the post office, Andy met Mr. Gale.
 
Walter Gale was a young man about twenty-five. He had a pleasant face,
and his manner was genial. He had a strong sympathy with boys, and he
was a favorite with them.
 
"Well, Andrew," he said; "have you recovered from your exertions in the
boat race?"
 
"Oh, yes; I am used to rowing, and felt very little fatigue."
 
"I hear that Conrad is very much mortified by his defeat."
 
"I believe he is. He felt sure of winning."
 
"And he would have done so if you had remained out of the list."
 
"He told Valentine Burns that he strained the muscles of his arm, and
that this defeated him."
 
"I should think better of him if he would acknowledge that he was fairly
beaten. Are you at leisure this evening?"
 
"Yes, sir."
 
"Then call upon me at the hotel. I shall be glad to know you better."
 
This invitation Andy was very glad to accept. He was drawn to the young
man, and felt that he was likely to prove a sincere friend.
 
At seven o'clock he left the farmhouse, and on arriving at the hotel
found Mr. Gale sitting on the piazza.
 
"I was looking for you," said the young man. "Come up to my room."
 
He led the way to a front corner apartment on the second floor. It was
the best room in the hotel, and he had furnished it in the most
comfortable and attractive manner. Pictures hung on the walls, and there
was a bookcase containing a goodly array of volumes.
 
"What a pleasant room!" exclaimed Andy.
 
"Yes; I have tried to make myself comfortable. What I lack most is
society."
 
"I wonder that you are content to live in the country. Are you not
accustomed to the city?"
 
"Yes; but I had a severe sickness in the spring, and the doctors
recommended me to absent myself for a time from the excitement of the
town and take up my residence in the country."
 
"Didn't that interfere with your business?"
 
Walter Gale smiled.
 
"Fortunately, or unfortunately," he answered, "I have no business. Until
two years since I was employed in an insurance office in the city. The
death of an uncle has made me pecuniarily independent, so that I had
leisure to be sick."
 
"You look in good health now."
 
"Yes; but I have a nervous temperament, and am obliged to be careful.
Now tell me about yourself. You have been for some time at Penhurst
Academy?"
 
"Yes; for two years."
 
"Do you go back there?"
 
"No; my father has met with serious losses, and can no longer afford to
send me. I must stay at home and help him."
 
"And this is a disappointment to you?"
 
"Yes; I was expecting to go to college in a few months."
 
"I believe your father is a farmer?"
 
"Yes."
 
"Do you expect to assist him on the farm?"
 
"Till I can get something to do. I shall try to get some business
situation. Business pays better than farming."
 
"I suppose you are a good Latin and Greek scholar?"
 
"Yes; that is, I like the languages, and stood high in my classes."
 
"My own education is limited. Though I am rich now, I was a poor boy. At
sixteen I had made some progress in Latin and commenced Greek, when my
father's failure obliged me to seek employment. The uncle who has now
made me rich would do nothing for me; so I left school half educated."
 
"You would be able to make up deficiencies now," suggested Andy.
 
"That is what I have been thinking of, if I can get a satisfactory
teacher."
 
"I don't think you can find a classical teacher in Arden."
 
"I know of one, if he would be willing to undertake the task."
 
"Who is it?" asked Andy, puzzled.
 
"Andrew Grant," answered this young man, with a smile.
 
"Do you mean me?" asked Andy, with a wondering face.
 
"Certainly. You are fresh from school, and I am sure you would be
competent to teach me."
 
"But I am only a boy."
 
"Age has nothing to do with a teacher's qualifications, except as to
discipline. You wouldn't find me a very advanced pupil. I had read one
book in _Caesar_ when I was compelled to leave school, and had begun to
translate Greek a little. Now the question is, are you willing to teach
me?"
 
"If you think I am competent, Mr. Gale."
 
"I don't doubt that. We will begin, if you like, next Monday. Perhaps,
in order to avoid village gossip, it will be well to pass yourself off
as my private secretary. Indeed, I will employ you a little in that way
also."
 
"I shall be very glad to serve you in any way."
 
"Then come to-morrow morning at nine and remain with me till twelve. Now
about the compensation."
 
"Fix that to suit yourself, Mr. Gale. I am almost ashamed to ask
anything."
 
"The laborer is worthy of his hire, Andy. Suppose I pay you six dollars
a week to begin with?"
 
"The money will be very acceptable, but I am afraid you will be
overpaying me."
 
"I will take my risk of that. On the whole, I will call it nine dollars
a week, and we will spend the afternoon together also. I will send to
the city for a boat, and you shall give me lessons in rowing."
 
Andy's eyes sparkled. Nothing would please him better, and the prospect
of earning nine dollars a week made him feel like a millionaire.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER VII.
 
AN ENCOUNTER WITH A TRAMP.
 
 
It is hardly necessary to say that Andy's parents were equally surprised
and pleased at his new engagement.
 
"You will like that better than working on the farm, I expect, Andy?"
said Sterling Grant.
 
"Yes, father. I am willing to work, but I don't feel much interest in
farming."
 
"It is hard work and poor pay, Andy, but I like it. I was brought up to
it when a boy, and there is nothing else I can do."
 
"Andy is already beginning to get some advantage from his education,"
said Mrs. Grant.
 
Andy reported for duty, and during the first morning made up his mind
that he should enjoy his new employment. Mr. Gale really desired to
acquire a knowledge of Latin and Greek, and worked faithfully.
 
To Andy it was like a review of his own studies, and he experienced a
satisfaction in the rapid progress of his pupil.
 
He felt quite at home with Mr. Gale, though their acquaintance had been
so brief. When twelve o'clock came he was really sorry.
 
"What time shall I come over this afternoon, Mr. Gale?" he asked.
 
"At two o'clock. Can you borrow your friend Valentine's boat? I have
sent for one, but it may be several days before it arrives."
 
"Oh, yes; I am sure Val will let me have it. He is a very good-natured
boy."
 
"I will be glad to pay for its use."
 
"I don't think he'd accept anything."
 
"Then I will make him a present."
 
Before he returned to the hotel, Andy saw Valentine and obtained the
loan of his boat.
 
At three o'clock Mr. Gale and Andy started from the boathouse, and again
Andy became a teacher.
 
The young man was a good rower, but Andy was able to give him some
points. Sometimes they sat idle and let the boat float at will.
 
About four o'clock Conrad came down for his usual afternoon row. He was
surprised and not altogether pleased at meeting Andy and his companion.
 
"Why are you not hoeing potatoes?" he asked.
 
"I've got a vacation," answered Andy, with a smile.
 
"Are you out for a row?" inquired Mr. Gale, pleasantly.
 
"Yes," answered Conrad, sullenly.
 
Though Walter Gale had nothing to do with his defeat, he could not quite
forgive him for awarding the prize to Andy. He felt mortified whenever
he thought of it, and wished Mr. Gale to understand that he was not
inferior to Andy.
 
"I was unlucky the other day," he said. "I strained my muscles or I
would not have been beaten."
 
"That was lucky for me, then," said Andy, good-naturedly.
 
"I didn't care so much for the money, but if I had been in my usual form
I should have gained the prize."
 
"Then you wouldn't object to a second race?" said Walter Gale, quietly.
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"If you would like to try it again over the same course, I will put up
five dollars."
 
Conrad hesitated.
 
He would not object to winning five dollars. Indeed, he wished very much
to have that sum, but he was not quite so sure that he could beat Andy
as he claimed to be.
 
Should Andy win again, he would be obliged to concede his superiority.
 
"No," he said, after a pause; "I don't think I care to race again."
 
"Then I will make you another offer, but not so good a one. I row a
little myself--indeed, Andy is training me, so that I hope soon to row
better. If you will row against me, I will pay you two dollars. That
will be the prize."
 
"But suppose you win?"
 
"Then I keep the two dollars myself. It will cost you nothing."
 
"I'll row," said Conrad, eagerly.
 
"Very well. We will appoint Andy umpire, or referee, whatever you call
it."
 
Conrad was not altogether pleased with this selection, but he waived his
objections and the race was rowed, Andy giving the signal.
 
Conrad won by a dozen lengths, Mr. Gale making a very good second.
 
"You have won, Conrad," said the young man, good-naturedly. "Here is the
prize."
 
Conrad pocketed the bill with a good deal of satisfaction.
 
"I will row you any day," he said.
 
Walter Gale shook his head.
 
"I must wait till I have improved," he said, "or you will beat me every
time."
 
Conrad would much prefer to have beaten Andy, but the two dollars gave him not a little satisfaction.

댓글 없음: