2015년 2월 22일 일요일

Bound to Rise 9

Bound to Rise 9


"Then I will write home at once to have it sent to me. I also have a
suit which I have outgrown; if you wouldn't be too proud to take it."
 
"I am not so foolish. It will be a great favor."
 
"I thought you would take it right," said Maurice, well pleased. "I
will also send for the suit. I will get my mother to forward them by
express."
 
"They will be as good as money to me," said Harry; "and that is not very
plenty with me."
 
"Will you tell me something of your circumstances? Perhaps I may have it
in my power to help you."
 
Harry, assured of his friendly interest, did not hesitate to give him
a full account of his plans in life, and especially of his desire
to relieve his father of the burden of poverty. His straightforward
narrative made a very favorable impression upon Maurice, who could not
help reflecting: "How far superior this boy is to Luke Harrison and his
tribe!"
 
"Thank you for telling me all this," he said. "It was not from mere
curiosity that I asked."
 
"I am sure of that," said Harry. "Thanks to your generosity, I shall
present a much more respectable appearance, besides being made more
comfortable."
 
Three days later a large bundle was brought by the village expressman to
Mr. Leavitt's door.
 
"A bundle for you, Walton," said the expressman, seeing Harry in the
yard.
 
"What is there to pay?" he asked.
 
"Nothing. It was prepaid in the city?"
 
Harry took it up to his room and opened it eagerly. First came the
promised overcoat. It was of very handsome French cloth, with a velvet
collar, and rich silk facings, far higher in cost than any Mr. Merrill
would have made for him. It fitted as if it had been made for him. Next
came, not one, but two complete suits embracing coat, vest and pants.
One of pepper-and-salt cloth, the other a dark blue. These, also,
so similar was he in figure to Maurice, fitted him equally well. The
clothes which he brought with from form Granton were not only of coarse
material but were far from stylish in cut, whereas these garments had
been made by a fashionable Boston tailor and set off his figure to much
greater advantage.
 
"I wonder what Luke Harrison will say?" said our hero to himself,
smiling, as he thought of the surprise of Luke at witnessing his
transformation.
 
"I've a great mind to keep these on to-night," he said.
 
"Perhaps I shall meet Luke. He won't have anything more to say about my
going without an overcoat."
 
After supper Harry, arrayed in his best suit and wearing the overcoat,
walked down tot he center of the village.
 
Luke was standing on the piazza of the tavern.
 
"Luke, see how Walton is dressed up!" exclaimed Frank Heath, who was the
first to see our hero.
 
"Dressed up!" repeated Luke, who was rather shortsighted. "That would be
a good joke."
 
"He's got a splendid overcoat," continued Frank.
 
"Where'd he get it? Merrill hasn't been making him one."
 
"It's none of Merrill's work. It's too stylish for him."
 
By this time Harry had come within Luke's range of vision. The
latter surveyed him with astonishment and it must be confessed, with
disappointment; for he had been fond of sneering at Harry's clothes, and
now the latter was far better dressed than himself.
 
"Where did you get that coat, Walton?" asked Luke, the instant Harry
came up.
 
"Honestly," said Harry, shortly.
 
"Have you got anything else new?"
 
Harry opened his coat and displayed the suit.
 
"Well, you are coming out, Walton, that's a fact," said Frank Heath.
"That's a splendid suit."
 
"I thought you couldn't afford to buy a coat," said Luke.
 
"You see I've got one," answered Harry.
 
"How much did it cost?"
 
"That's a secret."
 
Here he left Luke and Frank.
 
"Well, Luke, what do you say to that?" said Frank Heath.
 
Luke said nothing. He was astonished and unhappy. He had a fondness for
dress and spent a good share of his earnings upon it, paying where he
must, and getting credit besides where he could. But he had never had so
stylish a suit as this and it depressed him.
 
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XVI. ASKING A FAVOR
 
 
There was one other tailor in the village, James Hayden, and to him Luke
Harrison determined to transfer his custom, hoping to be allowed to
run up a bill with him. He did not like his style of cut as well as
Merrill's, but from the latter he was cut off unless he would pay the
old bill, and this would be inconvenient.
 
He strolled into James Hayden's shop and asked to look at some cloth for
pants.
 
Hayden was a shrewd man and, knowing that Luke was a customer of his
neighbor, suspected the reason of his transfer. However, he showed the
cloth, and, a selection having been made, measured him.
 
"When will you have them done?" asked Luke.
 
"In three days."
 
"I want them by that time sure."
 
"Of course you pay cash."
 
"Why," said Luke, hesitating, "I suppose you won't mind giving me a
month's credit."
 
Mr. Hayden shook his head.
 
"I couldn't do it. My goods are already paid for and I have to pay for
the work. I must have cash."
 
"Merrill always trusted me," pleaded Luke.
 
"Then why did you leave him?"
 
"Why," said Luke, a little taken aback, "he didn't cut the last clothes
exactly to suit me."
 
"Didn't suit you? I thought you young people preferred his cut to mine.
I am old-fashioned. Hadn't you better go back to Merrill?"
 
"I've got tired of him," said Luke. "I'll get a pair of pants of you,
and see how I like them."
 
"I'll make them but I can't trust."
 
"All right. I'll bring the money," said Luke, who yet thought that he
might get off by paying part down when he took the pants.
 
"The old fellow's deuced disobliging," said he o Frank Heath, when they
got into the street.
 
"I don't know as I blame him," said Frank.
 
"I wish Merrill wasn't so stiff about it. He's terribly afraid of losing
his bill."
 
"That's where he's right," said Frank, laughing. "I'd be the same if I
were in his place."
 
"Do you always pay your bills right off?" said Luke.
 
"Yes, I do. I don't pretend to be a model boy. I'm afraid I keep bad
company," he continued, "but I don't owe a cent to anybody except for
board and that I pay up at the end of every week."
 
Luke dropped the subject, not finding it to his taste.
 
On Saturday night he went round to the tailor's.
 
"Have you got my pants done, Mr. Hayden?"
 
"Yes--here they are."
 
"Let me see," he said, "how much are they?"
 
"Nine dollars."
 
"I'll pay you three dollars to-night and the rest at the end of next
week," he said.
 
"Very well; then you may have them at the end of next week."
 
"Why not now? They are done, ain't they?"
 
"Yes," said Mr. Hayden; "but not paid for."
 
"Didn't I tell you I'd pay three dollars now?"
 
"Our terms are cash down."
 
"You ain't afraid of me, are you?" blustered Luke.
 
"You understood when you ordered the pants that they were to be paid for
when they were taken."
 
"I hate to see people so afraid of losing their money."
 
"Do you? Was that why you left Merrill?"
 
Luke colored. He suspected that the fact of his unpaid bill at the other
tailor's was known to Mr. Hayden.
 
"I've a great mind to leave them on your hands."
 
"I prefer to keep them on my hands, rather than to let them go out of
the shop without being paid for."
 
"Frank," said Luke, turning to his companion, "lend me five dollars,
can't you?"
 
"I'm the wrong fellow to ask," said he; "I've got to pay my board and
another bill to-night."
 
"Oh, let your bills wait."
 
"And lend you the money? Thank you, I ain't so green. When should I get
the money again?"
 
"Next week."
 
"In a horn. No; I want to wear the pants to-morrow. I'm going out to
ride."
 
"I don't see, unless you fork over the spondulies."
 
"I can't. I haven't got enough money."
 
"See Harry Walton."
 
"I don't believe he has got any. He bought a lot of clothes last week.
They must have cost a pile."
 
"Can't help it. I saw him open his pocketbook last night and in it was a
roll of bills."
 
Turning to the tailor, Luke said: "Just lay aside the pants and I'll
come back for them pretty soon."
 
Mr. Hayden smiled to himself.
 
"There's nothing like fetching up these fellows with a round turn,"
he said. "'No money, no clothes'--that's my motto. Merrill told me all
about that little bill that sent Luke Harrison over here. He don't run
up any bill with me, if I know myself."
 
Luke went round to the village store. Harry Walton usually spent a part
of every evening in instructive reading and study; but after a hard
day's work he felt it necessary to pass an hour or so in the open air,
so he came down to the center of center of the village.
 
"Hello, Walton!" said Luke, accosting him with unusual cordiality. "You
are just the fellow I want to see."
 
"Am I?" inquired Harry in surprise, for there was no particular
friendship or intimacy between them.
 
"Yes; I'm going to ask a little favor of you--a mere trifle. Lend me
five or ten dollars for a week. Five will do it, you can't spare more."
 
Harry shook his head.
 
"I can't do that, Luke."
 
"Why not? Haven't you got as much?"
 
"Yes, I've got it."
 
"Then why won't you lend it to me?"
 
"I have little money and I can't run any risk."
 
"Do you think I won't pay you back?"
 
"Why do you need to borrow of me? You get much higher wages than I do."
 
"I want to pay a bill to-night. I didn't think you'd be so
unaccommodating."
 
"I shouldn't be willing to lend to anyone," said Harry.
 
"The money isn't mine. I am going to send it home."
 
"A great sight you are!" sneered Luke. "I wanted to see just how mean
you were. You've got the money in your pocket but you won't lend it."
 
This taunt did not particularly disturb Harry. There is a large class
like Luke, who offended at being refused a loan, though quite aware that
they are never likely to repay it. My young readers will be sure to meet
specimens of this class, against whom the only protection is a very firm
and decided "No."
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XVII. THE NIGHT SCHOLARS
 
 
Immediately after Thanksgiving Day, the winter schools commenced. That
in the center district was kept by a student of Dartmouth college, who
had leave of absence from the college authorities for twelve weeks, in
order by teaching to earn something to help defray his college expenses.
Leonard Morgan, now a junior, was a tall, strongly made young man of
twenty-two, whose stalwart frame had not been reduced by his diligent
study. There were several shoe shops in the village, each employing from
one to three boys, varying in age from fifteen to nineteen. Why could
he not form a private class, to meet in the evening, to be instructed in
advanced arithmetic, or, if desired, in Latin and Greek? He broached the
idea to Stephen Bates, the prudential committeeman.
 
"I don't know," said Mr. Bates, "what our boys will think of it. I've
got a boy that I'll send, but whether you'll get enough to make it pay I
don't know."
 
"I suppose I can have the schoolhouse, Mr. Bates?"
 
"Yes, there won't be no objection. Won't it be too much for you after
teachin' in the daytime?"
 
"It would take a good deal to break me down."
 
"Then you'd better draw up a notice and put it up in the store and
tavern," suggested the committeeman.
 
In accordance with this advice, the young teacher posted up in the two
places the following notice:
 
 
"EVENING SCHOOL
 
"I propose to start an evening school for those who are occupied during
the day, and unable to attend the district school. Instruction will be
given in such English branches as may be desired, and also in Latin and
Greek, if any are desirous of pursuing a classical course. The school
will commence next Monday evening at the schoolhouse, beginning at seven
o'clock. Terms: Seventy cents a week, or five dollars for the term of
ten weeks.
 
"LEONARD MORGAN."
 
 
"Are you going to join the class, Walton?" asked Frank Heath.
 
"Yes," said Harry, promptly.
 
"Where'll you get the money?" asked Luke Harrison, in a jeering tone.
 
"I shan't have to go far for it."
 
"I don't see how you can spend so much money."
 
"I am willing to spend money when I can get my money's worth," said our
hero. "Are you going?"
 
"To school? No, I guess not. I've got through my schooling."
 
"You don't know enough to hurt you, do you, Luke?" inquired Frank Heath,
slyly.
 
"Nor I don't want to. I know enough to get along."
 
"I don't and never expect to," said Harry.
 
"Do you mean to go to school when you're a gray-headed old veteran?"
asked Frank, jocosely.
 
"I may not go to school then but I shan't give up learning then," said
Harry, smiling. "One can learn without going to school. But while I'm
young, I mean to go to school as much as I can."
 
"I guess you're right," said Frank; "I'd go myself, only I'm too lazy.
It's hard on a feller to worry his brain with study after he's been at
work all day. I don't believe I was cut out for a great scholar."
 
"I don't believe you were, Frank," said Joe Bates.
 
"You always used to stand pretty well down toward the foot of the class
when you went to school."
 
"A feller can't be smart as well as handsome. As long as I'm
good-looking, I won't complain because I wasn't born with the genius of a Bates."

댓글 없음: