2017년 2월 8일 수요일

Black is White 39

Black is White 39


“Freddy, listen to me! You must wait until I------ Oh!” He had hung up
the receiver. She heard the whir of the open wire.
 
There was little comfort for her in the hope held out by her mother as
they sat far into the night and discussed the possibilities of the day
so near at hand. She could see nothing but disaster, and she could
think of nothing but her own lamentable weakness in shrinking from the
encounter that might have made the present situation impossible. Between
them mother and daughter constructed at random a dozen theories as to
the nature of the fresh complication that had entered into the already
serious situation, and always it was Lydia who advanced the most
sickening of conjectures.
 
Nor was it an easy matter for Mrs Desmond to combat these fears. In her
heart she felt that an irreparable break had occurred and that the final
clash was imminent. She tried to make light of the situation, however,
prophesying a calmer attitude for Frederic after he had slept over his
grievance, which, after all, she argued was doubtless exaggerated.
 
She promised to go with Lydia to see James Brood in the morning, and
to plead with him to be merciful to the boy she was to marry, no matter
what transpired. The girl at first insisted on going over to see him
that night, notwithstanding the hour, and was dissuaded only after the
most earnest opposition.
 
It was four o’clock before they went back to bed, and long after five
before either closed her eyes.
 
Mrs Desmond, utterly exhausted, was the first to awake. She glanced
at the little clock on her dressing-table and gave a great start of
consternation. It was long past nine o’clock. She arose at once and
hurried to her daughter’s door, half expecting to find the room empty
and the girl missing from the apartment.
 
But Lydia was lying there sound asleep. Mrs Desmond’s lips parted to
give voice to a gentle call, but it was never uttered. A feeling of
infinite pity for the tired, harassed girl came over her. For a long
time she stood there watching the gentle rise and fall of the sleeper’s
breast. Then she closed the door softly and stole back to her own room,
inspired by a sudden resolve.
 
While she was dressing the little maid-servant brought in her coffee and
toast and received instructions not to awaken Miss Lydia but to let
her have her sleep out. A few minutes later she left the apartment and
walked briskly around the corner to Brood’s home.
 
She had resolved to take the matter out of her daughter’s hands. As she
stood at the bedroom door watching Lydia’s sweet, troubled face, there
arose within her the mother instinct to fight for her young. It was not
unlikely that James Brood could be moved by Lydia’s pleading, in spite
of his declaration that Frederic should never marry her, but the mother
recognised the falseness of a position gained by such means.
 
Over Lydia’s head would hang the perpetual reminder that he had
submitted out of consideration for her, and not through fairness or
justice to Frederic; all the rest of her life she would be made to feel
that he tolerated Frederic for her sake. The girl would never know a
moment in which she could be free from that ugly sense of obligation.
God willing, Frederic would be her daughter’s husband. Lydia might spare
him the blow that James Brood could deal, but all of her life would be
spent in contemplation of that one bitter hour in which she went on her
knees to beg for mercy.
 
The mother saw all this with a foresightedness that stripped the
situation of every vestige of romance. Lydia might rejoice at the
outset, but there would surely come a time of heartache for her. It
would come with the full realisation that James Brood’s pity was hard to
bear.
 
Fearing that she might be too late, she walked so rapidly that she was
quite out of breath when she entered the house. Mr Riggs and Mr Dawes
were putting on their coats in the hall preparatory to their short
morning constitutional. They greeted her profusely, and with one accord
proceeded to divest themselves of the coats, announcing in one voice
their intention to remain for a good, old-fashioned chat.
 
“It’s dear of you,” she said hurriedly, “but I must see Mr Brood at
once. Why not come over to my apartment this afternoon for a cup of tea
and-----”
 
Mrs Brood’s voice interrupted her.
 
“What do you want, Mrs Desmond?” came from the landing above.
 
The visitor looked up with a start, not so much of surprise as
uneasiness. There was something sharp, unfriendly, in the low, level
tones.
 
Yvonne, fully dressed--a most unusual circumstance at that hour of the
day--was leaning over the banister-rail.
 
“I came to see Mr Brood on a very important-”
 
“He is occupied. Won’t I do as well?”
 
“It is really quite serious, Mrs Brood. I am afraid it would be of no
avail to--to take it up with you.”
 
“Have you been sent here by someone else?” demanded Mrs Brood.
 
“I have not seen Frederic,” fell from the other’s lips before she
thought.
 
“I dare say you haven’t,” said the other with ominous clearness. “He has
been here since seven this morning, waiting for a chance to speak to his
father in private.”
 
“Heaven help me! I--I am too------”
 
“Unless he spent the night in your apartment, I fancy you haven’t seen
him,” went on Yvonne languidly.
 
She was descending the stairs slowly, almost lazily as she uttered the
remark.
 
“They are together now?” gasped Mrs Desmond.
 
“Will you come into the library? Good morning, gentlemen. I trust you
may enjoy your long walk.”
 
Mrs Desmond followed her into the library. Yvonne closed the door
almost in the face of Mr Riggs, who had opened his mouth to accept the
invitation to tea, but who said he’d “be blasted” instead, so narrow was
his escape from having his nose banged. He emphasised the declaration by
shaking his fist at the door.
 
The two women faced each other. For the first time since she had known
Yvonne Brood, Mrs Desmond observed a high touch of colour in her cheeks.
Her beautiful eyes were alive with an excitement she could not conceal.
Neither spoke for a moment.
 
“You are accountable for this, Mrs Brood,” said Lydia Desmond’s mother
sternly, accusingly. She expected a storm of indignant protest. Instead,
Yvonne smiled slightly.
 
“It will not hurt my husband to discover that Frederic is a man and not
a milksop,” she said, but despite her coolness there was a perceptible
note of anxiety in her voice.
 
“You know, then, that they are--that they will quarrel?”
 
“I fancy it was in Frederic’s mind to do so when he came here this
morning. He was still in his evening clothes, Mrs Desmond.”
 
“Where are they now?”
 
“I think he has them on,” said Yvonne lightly.
 
Mrs Desmond regarded her for a moment in perplexity. Then her eyes
flashed dangerously.
 
“I do not think you misunderstood me, Mrs Brood. Where are Frederic and
his father?”
 
“I am not accustomed to that tone of voice, Mrs Desmond.”
 
“I am no longer your housekeeper,” said the other succinctly. “You do
not realise what this quarrel may mean. I insist on going up to them
before it has gone too far.”
 
“My husband can take care of himself, thank you.”
 
“I am not thinking of your husband, but of that poor boy who is------”
 
“And if I am to judge by Frederic’s manner this morning, he is also able
to take care of himself,” said Yvonne coolly. Her voice shook a little.
 
Mrs Desmond shot a quick glance of comprehension at the speaker.
 
“You are worried, Mrs Brood. Your manner betrays you. I command you to
tell me how long they have been upstairs together. How long------”
 
“Will you be so good, Mrs Desmond, as to leave this house instantly?”
cried Yvonne angrily.
 
“No,” said the other quietly. “I suppose I am too late to prevent
trouble between those two men, but I shall at least remain here to
assure Frederic of my sympathy, to help him if I can, to offer him the
shelter of my home.”
 
A spasm of alarm crossed Yvonne’s face.
 
“Do you really believe it will come to that?” she demanded nervously.
 
“If what I fear should come to pass, he will not stay in this house
another hour. He will go forth from it cursing James Brood with all the
hatred that his soul can possess. And now, Mrs Brood, shall I tell you
what I think of you?”
 
“No. It isn’t at all necessary. Besides, I’ve changed my mind. I’d like
you to remain. I do not want to mystify you any farther, Mrs Desmond,
but I now confess to you that I am losing my courage. Don’t ask me to
tell you why, but------”
 
“I suppose it is the custom with those who play with fire. They shrink
when it burns them.”
 
Mrs Brood looked at her steadily. The rebellious, sullen __EXPRESSION__ died
out of her eyes. She sighed deeply, almost despairingly.
 
“I am sorry you think ill of me, but yet I cannot blame you for
considering me to be a--a------ I’ll not say it. Mrs Desmond, I--I wish
I had never come to this house.”

댓글 없음: