2017년 2월 8일 수요일

Black is White 40

Black is White 40


“Permit me to echo your words.”
 
“You will never be able to understand me. And, after all, why should I
care? You are nothing to me. You are merely a good woman who has no real
object in life. You------”
 
“No real object in life?”
 
“Precisely. Sit down. We will wait here together, if you please. I--I
_am_ worried. I think I rather like to feel that you are here with me.
You see, the crisis has come.”
 
“You know, of course, that he turned one wife out of this house, Mrs
Brood,” said Mrs Desmond deliberately.
 
Something like terror leaped into the other’s eyes. The watcher
experienced an incomprehensible feeling of pity for her--she who had
been despising her so fiercely the instant before.
 
“He--he will not turn me out,” murmured Yvonne, and suddenly began
pacing the floor, her hands clenched. Stopping abruptly in front of the
other woman, she exclaimed: “He made a great mistake in driving that
other woman out. He is not likely to repeat it, Mrs Desmond.”
 
“Yes--I think he _did_ make a mistake,” said Mrs Desmond calmly. “But he
does not think so. He is a man of iron. He is unbending.”
 
“He is a wonderful man--a great, splendid man,” cried Yvonne fiercely.
“It is I--Yvonne Lestrange--who proclaim it to the world. I cannot bear
to see him suffer. I------”
 
“Then, why do you------”
 
“Ah, you would say it, eh? Well, there is no answer. Poof! Perhaps it
will not be so bad as we think. Come! I am no longer uneasy. See! I
am very calm. Am I not an example for you? Sit down. We will wait
together.”
 
They sat far apart, each filled with dark misgivings, though radically
opposed in their manner of treating the situation. Mrs Desmond was cold
with apprehension. She sat immovable, tense. Yvonne sank back easily in
a deep, comfortable chair and coolly lighted a cigarette. It would have
been remarked by a keen observer that her failure to offer one to her
visitor was evidence of an unwonted abstraction. As a matter of fact,
inwardly she was trembling like a leaf.
 
“I suppose there is nothing to do,” said Mrs Desmond in despair, after a
long silence. “Poor Lydia will never forgive herself.”
 
Yvonne blew rings of smoke toward the ceiling.
 
“I dare say you think I am an evil person, Mrs Desmond.”
 
“Curiously, Mrs Brood, I have never thought of you in that light. Your
transgressions are the greater for that reason.”
 
“Transgressions? An amiable word, believe me.”
 
“I did not come here, however, to discuss your actions.”
 
Yvonne leaned forward suddenly.
 
“You do not ask what transpired last night to bring about this crisis.
Why do you hesitate?”
 
Mrs Desmond shook her head slowly. “I do not want to know.”
 
“Well, it was not what you have been thinking it was,” said Yvonne
levelly. “I am relieved to hear it,” said the other rather grimly.
 
Mrs Brood flushed to the roots of her hair.
 
“I do not want to appear unfair to my husband, but I declare to you, Mrs
Desmond, that Frederic is fully justified in the attitude he has taken
this morning. His father humiliated him last night in a manner that made
forbearance impossible. That much I must say for Frederic. And permit
me to add, from my soul, that he is vastly more sinned against than
sinning.”
 
“I can readily believe that, Mrs Brood.”
 
“This morning Frederic came into the breakfast-room while we were having
our coffee. You look surprised. Yes, I was having breakfast with my
husband. I knew that Frederic would come. That was my reason. When I
heard him in the hall I sent the servants out of the dining-room. He had
spent the night with a friend. His first words on entering the room were
these--I shall never forget them: ‘Last night I thought I loved you,
father, but I have come home just to tell you that I hate you. I can’t
stay in this house another day. I’m going to get out. But I just wanted
you to know that I thought I loved you last night, as a son should love
his father. I just wanted you to know it.”
 
“He did not even look at me, Mrs Desmond. I don’t believe he knew I was
there. I shall never forget the look in James Brood’s face. It was as
if he saw a ghost or some horrible thing that fascinated him. He did not
utter a word, but stared at Frederic in that terrible, awe-struck way.”
 
“‘I’m going to get out,’ said Frederic, his voice rising. ‘You’ve
treated me like a dog all of my life, and I’m through. I shan’t even say
good-bye to you. You don’t deserve any more consideration from me than
I’ve received from you. I hope I’ll never see you again. If I ever have
a son I’ll not treat him as you’ve treated your son. You don’t deserve
the honour of being called father; you don’t deserve to have a son. I
wish to God I had never been obliged to call you father! I don’t know
what you did to my mother, but if you treated her as------’
 
“Just then my husband found his voice. He sprang to his feet, and
I’ve never seen such a look of rage. I thought he was going to strike
Frederic, and I think I screamed--just a little scream, of course. I
was so terrified. But he only said--and it was horrible the way he said
it-’You fool you bastard!’ And Frederic laughed in his face and cried
out, unafraid: ‘I’m glad you call me a bastard! I’d rather be one than
be your son. It would at least give me something to be proud of a real
father!’”
 
“Good Heaven!” fell from Mrs Desmond’s white lips.
 
Yvonne seemed to have paused to catch her breath. Her breast heaved
convulsively, the grip of her hands tightened on the arms of the chair.
 
Suddenly she resumed her recital, but her voice was hoarse and
tremulous.
 
“I was terribly frightened. I thought of calling out to Jones, but I--I
had no voice! Ah, you have never seen two angry men waiting to spring at
each other’s throats, Mrs Desmond. My husband suddenly regained control
of himself. He was very calm. ‘Come with me,* he said to Frederic.
‘This is not the place to wash our filthy family linen. You say you want
something to be proud of. Well, you shall have your wish. Come to my
study.’ And they went away together neither speaking a word to me--they
did not even glance in my direction. They went up the stairs. I heard
the door close behind them--away up there. That was half an hour ago.
I have been waiting, too--waiting as you are waiting now--to comfort
Frederic when he comes out of that room a wreck.”
 
Mrs Desmond started up, an incredulous look in her eyes.
 
“You are taking his side? You are against your husband? Oh, now I know
the kind of woman you are. I know------”
 
“Peace! You do not know the kind of woman I am. You will never know.
Yes, I shall take sides with Frederic.”
 
“You do not love your husband!”
 
A strange, unfathomable smile came into Yvonne’s face and stayed there.
Mrs Desmond experienced the same odd feeling she had had years ago on
first seeing the Sphinx. She was suddenly confronted by an unsolvable
mystery.
 
“He shall not drive me out of his house, Mrs Desmond,” was her answer to
the challenge.
 
A door slammed in the upper regions of the house. Both women started to
their feet.
 
“It is over,” breathed Yvonne with a tremulous sigh.
 
“We shall see how well they were able to take care of themselves, Mrs
Brood,” said Mrs Desmond in a low voice.
 
“We shall see--yes,” said the other mechanically. Suddenly she turned on
the tall, accusing figure beside her. “Go away! Go now! I command you to
go. This is _our_ affair, Mrs Desmond. You are not needed here. You were
too late, as you say. I beg of you, go!” She strode swiftly toward the
door. As she was about to place her hand on the knob it was opened from
the other side, and Ran jab stood before them.
 
“_Sahib_ begs to be excused, Mrs Desmond. He is just going out.”
 
“Going out?” cried Yvonne, who had shrunk back into the room.
 
“Yes, _sahibah_. You will please excuse, Mrs Desmond. He regret very
much.”
 
Mrs Desmond passed slowly through the door, which he held open for her.
As she passed by the Hindu she looked full into his dark, expressive
eyes, and there was a question in hers. He did not speak, but she read
the answer as if it were on a printed page. Her shoulders drooped.
 
She went back to Lydia.

댓글 없음: