2017년 2월 9일 목요일

Black is White 51

Black is White 51



She switched on the light in the big lamp, but instead of taking the
chair indicated, sank into one on the opposite side of the table, with
the mellow light full upon her lovely, serious face.
 
“Sit there,” she said, signifying the chair he had requested her to
take. “Please sit down,” she went on impatiently, as he continued to
regard her forbiddingly from his position near the window.
 
“I shall be better able to say what I have to say standing,” he said
significantly.
 
“Do you expect me to plead with you for forgiveness?” she inquired, with
an unmistakable look of surprise.
 
“You may save yourself the humiliation of such-----”
 
“But you are gravely mistaken,” she interrupted. “I shall ask nothing of
you.”
 
“Then we need not prolong the------”
 
“I have come to explain, not to plead,” she went on resolutely. “I want
to tell you why I married you. You will not find it a pleasant story,
nor will you be proud of your conquest. It will not be necessary for
you to turn me out of your house. I entered it with the determination to
leave it in my own good time. I think you had better sit down.”
 
He looked at her fixedly for a moment, as if striving to materialise
a thought that lay somewhere in the back of his mind. He was vaguely
conscious of an impression that he could unfathom all’ this seeming
mystery without a suggestion from her if given the time to concentrate
his mind on the vague, hazy suggestion that tormented his memory.
 
He sat down opposite her and rested his arms on the table. The lines
about his mouth were rigid, uncompromising, but there was a look of
wonder in his eyes.
 
She leaned forward in her chair, the better to watch the changing
__EXPRESSION__ in his eyes as she progressed with her story. Her hands were
clenched tightly under the table’s edge.
 
“You are looking into my eyes, as you have looked a hundred times,” she
said after a moment. “There is something in them that has puzzled you
since the night when you looked into them across that great ballroom
in London. You have always felt that they were not new to you, that you
have had them constantly in front of you for ages. Do you remember when
you first saw me, James Brood?”
 
He stared, and his eyes widened.
 
“I never saw you in my life until that night in London, I------”
 
“Look closely. Isn’t there something more than doubt in your mind as you
look into them now?”
 
“I confess that I have always been puzzled by by something I cannot
understand in--but all this leads to nothing,” he broke off harshly. “We
are not here to mystify each other, but to------”
 
“To explain mysteries, that’s it, of course. You are looking. What do
you see? Are you not sure that you looked into my eyes long, long ago?
Are there not moments when my voice is familiar to you, when it speaks
to you out of------”
 
He sat up, rigid as a block of stone.
 
“Yes, by Heaven, I have felt it all along! To--day I was convinced that
the unbelievable had happened. I saw something that------” He stopped
short, his lips parted.
 
She waved her hand in the direction of the Buddha.
 
“Have you never petitioned your too--stolid friend over there to unravel
the mystery for you? In the quiet of certain lonely, speculative hours
have you not wondered where you had seen me before, long, long before
the night in London? In all the years that you have been trying to
convince yourself that Frederic is not your son has there not been the
vision of------”
 
“What are you saying to me? Are you trying to tell me that you are
Matilde?”
 
“If not Matilde, then who am I, pray?” she demanded.
 
He sank back frowning.
 
“It cannot be possible. I would know her a thousand years from now. You
cannot trick me into believing--but, who are you?” He leaned forward
again, clutching the edge of the table. “I sometimes think you are a
ghost come to haunt me, to torture me. What trick, what magic is
behind all this? Has her soul, her spirit, her actual being found a
lodging--place in you, and have you been sent to curse me for------”
 
She rose half--way out of her chair, leaning farther across the table.
 
“Yes, James Brood, I represent the spirit of Matilde Valeska, if you
will have it so. Not sent to curse you, but to love you. That’s the pity
of it all. I swear to you that it is the spirit of Matilde that urges
me to love you and to spare you now. It is the spirit of Matilde that
stands between her son and death. But it is not Matilde who confronts
you here and now, you may be sure of that. Matilde loved you. She loves
you now, even in her grave. You will never be able to escape from that
wonderful love of hers. If there have been times--and God help me, there
were many, I know--when I appeared to love you for myself, I swear
to you that I was moved by the spirit of Matilde. I--I am as much
mystified, as greatly puzzled as yourself. I came here to hate you, and
I have loved you; yes, there were moments when I actually loved you.”
 
Her voice died away into a whisper. For many seconds they sat looking
into each other’s eyes, neither possessing the power to break the
strange spell of silence that had fallen upon them.
 
“No, it is not Matilde who confronts you now, but one who would not
spare you as she did up to the hour of her death. You are quite safe
from ghosts from this hour on, my friend. You will never see Matilde
again, though you look into my eyes till the end of time. Frederic may
see, may feel the spirit of his mother, but you--ah, no! You have seen
the last of her. Her blood is in my veins, her wrongs are in my heart.
It was she with whom you fell in love, and it was she you married six
months ago, but now the curtain is lifted. Don’t you know me now, James?
Can your memory carry you back twenty--three years and deliver you from
doubt and perplexity? Look closely, I say. I was six years old then,
and------”
 
Brood was glaring at her as one stupefied. Suddenly he cried out in a
loud voice. “You are you are the little sister? The little Thérèse?”
 
She was standing now, leaning far over the table, for he had shrunk down
into his chair.
 
“The little Thérèse, yes! Now do you begin to see? Now do you begin to
realise what I came here to do? Now do you know why I married you? Isn’t
it clear to you? Well, I have tried to do all these things so that I
might break your heart as you broke hers. I came to make you pay!”
 
She was speaking rapidly, excitedly now. Her voice was high--pitched and
unnatural.. Her eyes seemed to be driving him deeper and deeper into the
chair, forcing him down as though with a giant’s hand.
 
“The little, timid, heart--broken Thérèse who would not speak to you,
nor kiss you, nor say goodbye to you when you took her darling sister
away from the Bristol in the _Kartnerring_ more than twenty years ago.
Ah, how I loved her, how I loved her! And how I hated you for taking
her away from me. Shall I ever forget that wedding night? Shall I ever
forget the grief, the loneliness, the hatred that dwelt in my poor
little heart that night? Everyone was happy, the whole world was happy;
but was I? I was crushed with grief. You were taking her away across the
awful sea, and you were to make her happy, so they said, _aie_, so said
my beloved, joyous sister.
 
“You stood before the altar in St Stephens’s with her and promised,
promised, promised everything. I heard you. I sat with my mother and
turned to ice, but I heard you. All Vienna, all Budapest said that you
promised naught but happiness to each other. She was twenty--one. She
was lovely; ah, far lovelier than that wretched photograph lying there
in front of you. It was made when she was eighteen. She did not write
those words on the back of the card. I wrote them, not more than a month
ago, before I gave it to Frederic. To this house she came twenty--three
years ago. You brought her here the happiest girl in all the world. How
did you send her away? How?”
 
He stirred in the chair. A spasm of pain crossed his face.
 
“And I was the happiest man in all the world,” he said hoarsely. “You
are forgetting one thing, Thérèse.” He fell into the way of calling her
Thérèse as if he had known her by no other name. “Your sister was not
content to preserve the happiness that------”
 
“Stop!” she commanded. “You are not to speak evil of her now. You will
never think evil of her after what I am about to tell you. You will
curse yourself. Somehow I am glad that my plans have gone awry. It gives
me the opportunity to see you curse yourself.”
 
“Her sister!” muttered the man unbelievingly. “I have married the child
Thérèse. I have held her sister in my arms all these months and never
knew. It is a dream. I------”
 
“Ah, but you have _felt_, even though------”
 
He struck the table violently with his fist. His eyes were blazing.
 
“What manner of woman are you? What were you planning to do to that
unhappy boy--her son? Are you a fiend to------”
 
“In good time, James, you will know what manner of woman I am,” she
interrupted quietly. Sinking back in the chair, she resumed the broken
strain, all the time watching him through half--closed eyes. “She died
ten years ago. Her boy was twelve years old. She never saw him after the
night you turned her away from this house. On her death--bed, as she was
releasing her pure, undefiled soul to God’s keeping, she repeated to
the priest who went through the unnecessary form of absolving her,
she repeated her solemn declaration that she had never wronged you by
thought or deed. I had always believed her, the holy priest believed
her, God believed her. You would have believed her, too, James Brood.
She was a good woman. Do you hear? And you put a curse upon her and
drove her out into the night. That was not all. You persecuted her to
the end of her unhappy life. You did that to my sister!”

댓글 없음: