2016년 8월 29일 월요일

The Crimson Conquest 17

The Crimson Conquest 17


The prospect was flattering, and the Inca’s case easily laid aside.
Hernando went forthwith.
 
His departure removed one embarrassment from the design which the
commander secretly meditated in regard to the Inca, and which he knew
Hernando would oppose with vigor. He would still have equally stanch
supporters of the prisoner to deal with, but he trusted to circumstance
to overcome or remove their influence. De Soto was the most formidable
advocate of Atahualpa’s cause. Soon after Hernando’s departure, he and
Cristoval went to the commander. They found Almagro there, and
Riquelme, the royal treasurer, who had come with him from San Miguel.
Mendoza and one or two others came in shortly afterward.
 
"The Inca beginneth to chafe, General," said De Soto, "over his delayed
freedom. Several days have passed since the division of the ransom, but
he awaiteth intimation that his captivity is near its end. May I not
bear him some assurance?"
 
"Not now, Soto," replied Pizarro, impatiently. "Let him wait. As a
matter of fact, he hath not yet made up the amount he promised. It was
short, considerably, of reaching the line on the wall."
 
"What!" exclaimed De Soto, bluntly. "Wilt thou make excuse of that?
Thou knowest that waiting would have brought the full sum; and thou
knowest, besides, it will be made up tenfold when we reach Cuzco. A
poor pretext, Pizarro, I’ll be bound!"
 
Pizarro shrugged. De Soto eyed him sharply, waiting for his response.
Pizarro shrugged again, and said: "_Bien_! I’ll not hold the Inca for
that, Soto. I’ll acquit him of the rest of the obligation, but ask not
his freedom now. Thou hast heard of the tribes in the South, and to-day
cometh news that an army lieth at Quito, with thirty thousand Caribs
ready to join. I doubt not that this Señor Inca is party to it. If it
so proveth, by Heaven, he shall pay dearly for his treachery!"
 
"Rumors and yet more rumors!" exclaimed De Soto, contemptuously.
"_Santa Madre_! How long shall we entertain these cries of wolf,
Pizarro? A rising of the Indios, forsooth! A spectre to be laid daily!
With five men I could ride to Cuzco. Give the order, and I will go."
 
Pizarro regarded him thoughtfully. "It might be well advised, Sotonot
with five men, but with thy troop; and not so far as Cuzco, but to
Guamachucho, whence the rumors come. The reconnaissance could be made
in a weekthere and return. Let us say, ten days without hard marching.
Thou couldst start to-morrow? Very well.And Peralta, thou hast
knowledge of the Quichua. _Excellente_! I will think of it."
 
When De Soto and Cristoval had departed Pizarro swore an oath. "But for
the qualms of those two and half-a-dozen others," he fumed, "we need not
fash ourselves about this accursed proud heathen king. I would snuff
him out, for by the faith! I had liefer trust myself with a wounded bear
than set him loose to bring his hordes to our destruction. He is a mad
bull held by the horns. I can neither hold him nor let him go. Were it
not for him we could be on the march to Cuzco; but as ’t is, we dare not
leave him under such guard as we can spare, nor can safely take him with
us."
 
"Then why shilly-shally?" demanded Almagro. "A bit of steel between his
ribs, or a hitch of rope about his neck, and we are disencumbered. My
life! I see no complexity in that."
 
"But De Soto hath his troop at his back, Almagro, and an embroglio now
would put us in bad case. Many of the men would be but lukewarm for the
Inca’s death. Since they have his gold they shout, ’_Viva el Inca!_’
and affect a friendliness."
 
"Ah!" scoffed Riquelme. "The fleeting dim gratitude of jackals with
bellies full! ’T is easily chilled. Stir up fresh rumors. Incite
alarms. Put them forty-eight hours under arms on guard, then hear them
yelp and snarl. When they bay in full chorus, bring charges against the
Inca. Try him in court with all grave show and pertinent solemnity.
When De Soto and Peralta return, show them a royal grave."
 
"The soul and essence of good counsel, Riquelme, and most crisply put!"
exclaimed Almagro, half admiringly, half in contempt. "Thou ’rt a man
of parts, my friend, and fit to intrigue with cardinals, prime
ministers, and favorites of kingsor to be a barrister! Ha! Leave it
to Riquelme, Pizarro."
 
Pizarro looked from one to another without replying. He smiled, and his
smile was not pleasant to look upon. Instructing the sentinel at the
door that no one should be admitted, he drew his chair close to his
visitors.
 
The council was long. At its close Pizarro said: "Well, think upon it
overnight and come again to-morrow. There are charges enough to answer
our purpose, and we have only to put them into form. _Cara_! This
device is luckily hit upon, Señores, and we’ll perfect its members. Say
not a word of it to any man. Now I’ll issue an order for De Soto’s
march. That was a hint opportunely offered. He was in the way, and,
curse him! I saw no means of being quit of his importunities._Adiós_,
gentlemen. I thank you for your good counsel."
 
De Soto received marching orders that evening, and he and Cristoval
spent the greater part of the night in the preparation of the troop. In
the morning, Cristoval hurried to take leave of the Inca. The hour was
early, and the latter had not come from his private apartments. After a
few minutes’ conversation with the nobles in the anteroom of the small
salon where Atahualpa received his friends informally, Cristoval
entered. In a moment he saw the nobles sink to their knees. Their
sovereign was approaching. Atahualpa paused for a word of greeting, and
entered the room where the cavalier stood waiting. Seeing Cristoval in
full armor, he asked anxiously as he advanced,
 
"What is this, Viracocha Cristoval? Thou ’rt equipped as for battle! I
trust nothing hath occurred, or is about to occur."
 
"Nothing, my lord. I have come to bid you a short farewell. I go with
De Soto on a few days’ journey. We ride to Guamachucho."
 
"To Guamachucho! Why to Guamachucho?"
 
"Merely to prove to Pizarro that another rumor which hath reached his
ears is without foundation, my Lord Inca. He gave his promise yesterday
to release you the moment he feeleth secure, and we go to hasten his
assurance. We will return to see you at liberty and rejoice with you,
my lord."
 
Atahualpa made no immediate reply, but stood with arms folded, his eyes
bent gloomily upon the floor. At length he asked, "Your going is
voluntary?"
 
"Entirely so, my Lord Inca. It was De Soto’s suggestion. He offered, to
prove the good will of your people, to ride to Cuzco almost alone. So
long a journey being needless, we make this shorter one."
 
The cloud deepened upon the Inca’s brow. Finally he said, half
meditatively: "I fear it is unfortunate. The Viracocha Hernando, who, I
believe, was my friend, hath gone. Now thou and De Soto go. I would it
were otherwise, Viracocha Cristoval."
 
Cristoval divined the cause of his misgiving. "Nay, my lord," he said
earnestly, "the circumstance hath no import, believe me. You have many
other friends in the army. Yesterday I heard the soldiers shouting,
’Long live the Inca!’ Moreover, Pizarro hath given you formal quittance
of your ransom. Have you not heard of it?"
 
"I have heard."
 
"You will receive the paper to-day; and now nothing delayeth your
liberty but Pizarro’s uneasiness about the feeling among your subjects.
We shall remove that uncertainty, and when we meet again, my lord, it
will be on the eve of your freedom."
 
Atahualpa turned his dark eyes upon him. "My friend," he said gravely,
"we shall not meet again!Nay, hear me! I know what thou wouldst say,
but I am right. This is our last meeting.Be silent!" he interrupted,
with some sternness, when Cristoval essayed to speak. "I do not say
this to hear thy protests; and let us not waste words, for time is
fleeting. When you return, I shall benot here. I have been
forewarned. My life is near its close. Enough! I do not fear to die. I
would say naught of this, but there is something I would ask of thee."
 
He paused, and for a moment his eyes looked searchingly into those of
the cavalier. When he resumed it was as if satisfied with the scrutiny,
and he spoke in the tone he might have used to a brother.
 
"There is something I would ask of thee. Thou hast been my friend, as I
believe in my heart. Of all these unknown around me I have felt that I
know thee, Viracocha Cristoval, and I know that I can entrust to thee
now my dearest wish. It is this: I shall leave behind me many loved
ones, and among them the Ñusta Rava. Promise me thou wilt be to her what
thou wouldst wish a friend to be to thy best beloved sister. Toparca
hath not his strength. None of my people can aid her as well as thou in
time of need. Guard her life until thou canst convey her to safety.
Above all, guard her honor. Promise me this. Nay, promise me more. She
will be surrounded by a thousand perilsgive thy word thou’lt be ready
to lay down thy life to save her unharmed; and, should all else fail,
that thou wilt, at the end of hope, plunge thy dagger to her heart,
rather than surrender her to dishonor. Give me thy promise. I ask it
as a soldier of a soldier, Viracocha Cristoval."
 
Cristoval, moved to the depths of his chivalrous soul by the earnest
appeal of this splendid despot, who had never before laid aside his
majesty to ask a boon of mortal man, but who now addressed him with a
brother’s prayer for the sanctity of his sister, offered his hand. It
was taken by the monarch, and for the moment they stood regarding one
another, no longer as prince and conquistador, Inca and Spaniard, but as
men.
 
"My Lord Inca," said Cristoval, "I swear by all I hold most sacred to
spare neither my blood nor my life in her defence!"
 
"It is enough, my friend. I thank thee. I demand much of thy

댓글 없음: