2016년 8월 29일 월요일

The Crimson Conquest 28

The Crimson Conquest 28



Leaving the palace, he went directly to his house, half expecting
Mendoza’s blade between his civil-official ribs at almost any moment.
He reached it safely, and sat the greater part of the evening blinking
at the light, laboring with a thought. He heard Riquelme come in with
companions, and going to the rear of the patio later, roused one of his
servants and beckoned him out.
 
"Vilpalca," he said, "dost know Felipillo? Good! Go fetch him."
 
He returned and sat again blinking at the light, slowly rubbing his
hands, now chuckling without mirth, now communing with himself in
emphatic whispers with many a sniffle interspersed. Within an hour his
servant returned, leading Felipillo. The young renegade entered
sulkily, twirling his plumed cap and looking shiftily at Rogelio, who
greeted him with effusive condescension.
 
"Ah, Felipillo," he twittered; "I am glad to see thee, Felipillo. How
hath it gone with thee? Sit, boy, and I’ll pour thee a bit of _chicha_.
Here."
 
Felipillo seated himself on the edge of a chair, glanced contemptuously
at the very small drink, and tossed it off at a gulp.
 
"Well, how hast prospered?" continued the _veedor_. "Hast played in
luck? Not in excessive luck, eh, chico! Thou ’rt a bit seedy, not so?
He, he! But we all have varied fortunes at play, Felipillo, now high,
now low. But I would rejoice to see thee in better feather, my young
friend. I would, on my soul!"
 
Felipillo regarded him with suspicious surprise, and the _veedor_ went
on: "I’ve sent for thee on a little matter of business, my boy. A
matter, in fact, ofhe, he!diplomacy. We Spaniards, as thou knowest,
are great in diplomacy. I hope thy coming did not incommode thee!"
 
"I was going to bed," grunted Felipillo, with bad grace.
 
"To bed so early? Wise boy! But ’tis a sign of a thin purse, is it
not?or want of favor among the ladiesor both, eh? Sometimes they go
together. Too bad, too bad!"
 
The _veedor_ grinned upon him, meeting a sour glance in reply, then
resumed.
 
"Now, Felipillo, what dost think I had in mind in sending for thee? Eh,
boy? What dost imagine? Suppose I should say it was to offer theesay,
a hundred _castellanos_!"
 
Felipillo looked as if he would consider the statement a lie if made,
but did not say so.
 
"A hundred _castellanos_, or maybe a hundred and fifty," continued
Rogelio, rubbing his hands and peering into the face of the interpreter.
The youth gave him a brief, searching glance, and looked away.
 
"I really think of it," said the _veedor_. "Upon my honor I do! A
hundred and fifty _castellanos_but not more, understandnot more. Of
course, my young friend, thou wouldst naturally hope to make some return
for it, now wouldst thou not? He, he! Beyond a doubt, beyond a doubt!
I see it in thy generous eye. _Bien_! Now, this is what I have to say.
The Ñusta Ravamy Ñusta Rava!hath fled, as thou knowest, with that
bullying, swearing, blood-drinking scoundrel, Peralta. I want her back.
Mendoza wants her back. I won her fairly at play, and she is mine; but
I see that it grateth him to give her up. If he taketh her, he may not
give her up. May the plague torture him a thousand years! Now, seest
thou, I am not a man of arms. If I were, I would pursue her myself.
But I am a civilianan officer of the Crown, with a wife andthat is to
say, Felipillo, I must not endanger myself in the hardship of a pursuit.
I am not inured to it. I am too oldat least, my life and services are
too valuable." The _veedor_ paused here to inflate his cheeks while he
leaned back and surveyed the youth with dignity. But the dignity was
marred somewhat by the snuffle with which he ended.
 
"Dost follow me? Good! Now, what I want of thee is this. Go to the
camp of the Cañares, over the river, and set a pack of them on the scent
of the runaways. What sayst thou? Mind theea hundred and fifty
_castellanos_, good yellow gold!"
 
Felipillo had kept his eyes upon him with unusual steadiness. Now he
looked aside, weighed the proposition, and shook his head. "Impossible,
Señor."
 
"Impossible! Why impossible?" demanded the _veedor_; leaning eagerly
forward. "One hundred and fifty _castellanos_ for thine own purse, boy!
Why not?"
 
"Because one hundred and fifty _castellanos_ would not pay me and hire
them. A thousand _castellanos_ would not hire them, Señor, for they
care not for gold. They know not its worth."
 
"H’m! True!" said Rogelio, his jaw suddenly dropping in disappointment.
"Butwell, what would hire them? _Chicha_?"
 
"_Chicha_ might, but they can get it more easily."
 
"Then what would?" snapped the _veedor_. "Beastly savages, not to know
the worth of money!"
 
Felipillo was silent. Rogelio watched him anxiously for a time, then
sat in a study. Finally he exclaimed: "Boy, I have it! These Cañares
chafe under the yoke of Tavantinsuyu, not so?"
 
Felipillo nodded.
 
"Aha! _Bueno_! _Bueno_!" said the _veedor_, rubbing his hands. "We’ll
offer them freedom."
 
"We, Señor?"
 
"I, dolt; I, myself! I’ll promise it them."
 
"Thou, Señor! They will know better."
 
"Bah! We can lie a little. But why not I?" Rogelio became suddenly
pompous. "Thou knowest not my standing at home, boy. A letter from me
to the Colonial Council, or to his Majesty, would have weight, let me
tell thee. But as I say, we can promise."
 
"It will not answer," said Felipillo, positively. "Moreover, they are
like to be free, now, without anybody’s leave."
 
The _veedor’s_ jaw sagged again. He studied heavily, and presently
looked up. "Felipillo, I’ll tell thee what will effect it,license of
rapine!liberty to plunder the natives hereabouts after we have marched!
By the sacrament, I can promise them they shall have that, for a
surety!"
 
"They will have it anyway," replied Felipillo.
 
"_Demonio!_" retorted Rogelio, testily. "But they will value a formal
permit. I’ll give it. Bring hither their chiefs to-morrow night.
Smuggle them in, dost understand? and I’ll wag a parchment before their
eyes with a seal and ribbons on it. Thou’lt see! A liberality with
_chicha_ will make the bargain easy. What sayst thou? Wilt deal with
them for me? I know not the language."
 
Felipillo considered long, to the _veedor’s_ impatience, and said at
last, "It would do it, Señor, that is certain, but"
 
"Well, but what?" demanded Rogelio.
 
The youth shook his head. "One hundred and fifty _castellanos_, Señor"
 
The _veedor_ wrenched himself about in his chair. "Oh, _infierno_! ’T
is princelyprincely, I tell thee! It would brush thee up, stake thy
games, reinstate thee among the ladies! It might be thy making."
 
Again Felipillo shook his head.
 
"Murder and arson!" yelped the _veedor_, beginning to perspire. "Thou
’rt grasping, boy! One hundred and fifty _castellanos_! Oh, _Madre_!
Then make it two hundred."
 
Felipillo arose with a shrug, one of his acquirements from the
Spaniards. It enraged the _veedor_.
 
"Then go to the devil!" he piped. "’T is all thou’lt get. Two hundred
not enough! Oh, my stars!"
 
Felipillo moved toward the door. Rogelio mopped his neck and jowls
vigorously. "Wait, thou varlet!say two hundred and fifty! Two hundred
and fifty, gold!"
 
Felipillo shrugged again, still moving, and the _veedor_ broke into a
stream of squeaky oaths. When the youth reached the door he sprang up.
 
"Hold, thou tanned son of Belial! Here! Wait! Three hundred, and not a
_maravedi_ more!"
 
"_Buenos noches!_" said Felipillo, with a grin, and went out. Rogelio
stood for a second, choking, then rushed after, collared him in the
patio, and dragged him back. He thrust him into a chair, hurried to a
chest, unlocked it feverishly, whispering curses the while, and drew out
a bag. Waddling to the table, he thrust in his hand, withdrew it full
of coin, and counted. Another handful counted, and he cried: "There,
knave, three hundred! Wilt do it?"
 
Felipillo hesitated, and Rogelio swept them together to return them to
the bag.
 
"_Si, Señor_," said the youth.
 
The _veedor_ sank into his chair, scrubbing his reddened countenance,
while Felipillo gathered up the gold. "I will go to-morrow, Señor,"

댓글 없음: