2016년 8월 1일 월요일

Making Over Martha 26

Making Over Martha 26


"Slawson, you’re a strange specimen. I sometimes wonder if you’re
_plus_ or _minus_. You certainly are not a simple equation, that’s
sure."
 
Martha smiled. "Speakin’ o’ the Hinckley girlEllenI’d a letter from
the uncle she went to, sayin’ she landed there safe an’ sound. So
_she’s_ off’n my mind."
 
"And Buller?"
 
"He never was on it. _I_ don’t mind _him_. His name ought to been
spelled with a Y ’stead of the R. Them kind’s never dangerous."
 
"Well, I hope not. All the same, I wish you’d kept your finger out of
that pie for your own safety’s sake."
 
Martha laughed. "I got two good fists of my own with me, that shoots
out fine when required. Warranted to hit the bull’s eye every time. I
used to tell my husband, when we lived down in the city, I was afraid I
might be arrested for carryin’ unconcealed weapons."
 
Madam Crewe’s stern little visage did not relax. "You’d need a more
effective weapon than your two fists, if you had Buller to deal with,"
she said. "I’ve a mind to give you my son’s revolver. Will you take
it?"
 
Martha drew back quickly. "No’m, thank you, bein’ much obliged, all the
same. My husband an’ me, we don’t believe in settlin’ disputes that
way. Shootin’, be it by one, or be it by many, is murder, an’ nothin’
else. I’d like to put a stop to it, if I could. I’m dead set against
it. They talk about puttin’ a stop to war, an’ some says you couldn’t
do it. But you _could_ do it. If every man who was ’listed, just
crossed his arms, an’ said respectful but firm: ’No, siree! Not on your
life I won’t shoot!’ an’ stuck to his wordwhere’d they get their
armies? You can’t _square_ anythin’ with _round_ bullets. I wouldn’t
mind cuffin’ Buller a good lick or two, but I wouldn’t _shoot_’m. I’ve
too much respec’ for my own peace o’ mind."
 
"Well, at least take the precaution to keep off these country roads
after nightfall. Get yourself home now. And when you come here again,
if it’s at night like this, bring that dog of yours, that you talk so
much about, along with you."
 
"Flicker? Goodness! Flicker’s the peaceablest party of us all. He
wouldn’t be a mite o’ perfection, even if we’d let’m out. Since we
first took’m off’n the street, Flicker thinks everybody means well by’m.
He’d never get over the shock if somebody treated’m low down. He just
wouldn’t _believe_ it, that’s all. But anyhow, Sam (my husband) he’s
been obliged to set some traps for the foxes that prowels ’round after
Mr. Ronaldses hens an’ ours, an’ we’re afraid Flicker might get caught
in one, if we’d leave’m run free nights."
 
Acting on Madam Crewe’s gentle hint, Martha proceeded to take herself
off. She had not really thought of Buller with any apprehension, but as
she walked along the dark, lonely road, the suggestion worked, and she
fancied him lying in wait for her behind "any old ambush growin’ by the
way, ready to spring," as she told herself.
 
This did not prevent her from tramping on when, at last, she reached her
own door, and realized she was out of yeast, and Cora had need of some
for the night’s "raisin’."
 
Mrs. Lentz "admired" to let her have the loan of a cake. Martha chatted
a while, then started away, this time headed directly for home. She had
gone but a short distance, the length of a city block perhaps, when,
suddenly, she came to a standstill.
 
"Who’s there?" she demanded sternly. Her voice sounded unfamiliar, even
to her own ears. She attempted to flash her lantern-light into the inky
blackness of the thicket hedging the road-bank. "Who’s there?" she
repeated.
 
Silence.
 
For a second, she doubted her own instinct, and was on the point of
passing sheepishly on, ashamed of her childishness, when a sinister
rustle in the shadow brought her, as it were, up standing again,
instantly alert, on the defensive.
 
"Who’s there?" rang out for the third time. "If you don’t speak or show
this minute, I’ll come an’ fetch you."
 
The rustle increased. A blotch of shadow detached itself from its vague
background, and a huddled shape inched forward, like a magnified beetle.
 
Martha held her lantern up as she took a step forward to meet the thing.
 
"MA!" she exploded. Then—— "Well, what do you think o’ that!"
 
"Ooh, Martha!"
 
The next minute the magnified beetle was passionately clinging to "me
son Sammy’s wife," as if there were no other anchorage in all the world.
 
"But for the love o’ Mike, Ma, how come you here? You’re shakin’ like
an ash-pan. You’re all done up. Never mind tellin’ me now. When we’re
home is time enough."
 
Fairly carrying the poor, limp creature, heartening her, soothing her,
Martha got her, at last, to the Lodge, set her in Sam’s chair, with the
comforting _pilla_ to rest the _holla_ in her back, brought her the
reinforcing _cuppertee_ which, in hot weather or cold, was Ma’s greatest
solace and, to crown all, sat down and listened, while she told of the
dangers she had passed.
 
"It’s a thrawn lot they are, down there," she began, sniffing
vigorously. "You wouldn’t believe the way they do be goin’ on. I bided
wit’ Dennis an’ Sarah for a bit, but there was no peace in the house at
all. Every time I’d open me mouth, Sarah she’d be for jumpin’ down me
throat. There’s no livin’ wit’ the likes of her, let alone himself, an’
the childern. Nora-Andy told me they’ve the hearts of stone in their
breast, the way they’d be never carin’ how you’d get along. ’Twas two
weeks I bided wit’m, an’ then Sarah she brought me in the subway down to
Hughey’s. ’Twas the baby there had whoopin’-cough, an’ Hughey says
’twould be very unlucky for one so old as me to be catchin’ it off her.
Liza says: ’It would that. I wouldn’t have it on me conscience,’ says
she. I says, ’How would I be catchin’ the whoopin’-cough, when I had
it, itself, an’ all the young ’uns here had it, long ago, an’ me by, an’
never a touch of it on me.’ But they was that set on keepin’ me safe
from contagion, they wouldn’t so much as let me stay the night under the
roof. Sarah was as mad, as mad. Her an’ Liza had it hot an’ heavy
between’m. They fairly had me killed wit’ their sparrin’. ’Twas to
Mary-Ellen’s they took me at last. An’ when Sarah told Mary-Ellen of
Liza’s behavior, Mary-Ellen was fit to slay her. ’If it’s to Liza
Slawson my mother has to look for a home, her own daughters must be
under the sod,’ says she. I was wit’ Mary-Ellen one week, come Tuesda’,
an’ I would ’a’ be contented to settle down there, only for Owen havin’
a letter from his rich uncle, sayin’ he’d come to visit’m for a bit.
They couldn’t be after offendin’ him, explainin’ they’d no room itself.
So Mary-Ellen ast me would I shift over to Nellie’s till she’d have the
uncle in my bed. An’ to Nellie’s I went. But, you know as good as me,
the sorta man is himself. You could search the world over, an’ not find
a contrarier. Me heart was sore for Nellie, but at the same time she’d
no call to say I drew the temper out of her Michael, the like she never
see equaled. ’He’s never so gusty when we’re alone,’ says she. Well,
well! Be this an’ be that, I couldn’t be sure I’d a roof to lay me head
on, the night. Nora’s new man has a tongue in’m, would scare you off,
before you’d ever set foot in it, at all. Like a surly dog! An’ all
the while, the city as hot as hot! The heart of me did be oozin’ out in
sweat, every day. An’ not one o’ them to take me to the Park, or set
foot in Coney Island, itself, let alone back home. The cravin’ took
holt o’ me, till I could thole it no longer. I had the thrifle in me
purse Sam give me when he left, for to spend, if I needed it. (God
knows the rest never showed me so much as the face of a penny!) I
packed me little bag, an’, be meself, I wanda’ed to the railroad
stationthe cops tellin’ me how to get there, itself. An’ so I come
back. Travelin’ all the da’, from airly dawn. I’d to wait at Burbank
for the trolley to bring me here. Then I started for to walk afoot.
But the dark come down, an’ every sound I heard, it stopped the tickin’
of me heart, like a clock. When I heard the steps of one along the
road, I crep’ into the bushes, to hide till they’d pass. Your voice,
Martha, was never your own at all. ’Twas like a man’s voice. The
height of you showed like a tower itself, back o’ the lantren. I’d
never know ’twas a female. I’d no stren’th to resist a wild tramp. So,
when you ast me, ’answer who it is,’ the tongue in me head was dumb.
But, ’tis glad I am to be home again, surely."
 
Sam went to the front door to shake out the ashes from his pipe. When
he came back Martha was helping Ma up the stairs to her own room.
 
"Won’t the childern be surprised an’ pleased to see you back, in the
mornin’," she was saying heartily.
 
Cora, bringing up the rear, remarked with importance, "Mother sent’m to
bed sooner’n usual ’cause to-morrow morning we all got to get up early.
We’re going with Miss Claire, in the la’nch, across the lake, to see a
blue herring, she’s got there in a cove."
 
"A blue herring, is it? Well, well!" said Ma abstractedly.
 
Cora went on. "Mother said when Francie told her, firstoff, you’d gone
away for good, an’ wasn’t coming backMother said, ’No matter how much I
feel my loss, I must try to be cheerful.’ Mother said it was a shock,
but you mustn’t let the world see your suffering. The world’s got
troubles of its own."
 
Ma’s dull eyes brightened. She gazed up searchingly into her
daughter-in-law’s face. "And, did you say that indeed, Martha?" she
questioned.
 
Martha punched a pillow pugilistically. "Very likely," she answered
holding the ticking with her teeth, while she pulled the clean slip over
it. "Yes, I said it."
 
The old woman slowly, tremulously undressed.
 
After Cora had gone, and Ma was in bed, Martha lingered a moment, before
turning out the light.
 
"I’m sorry you had such disappointment," she said. "But doncher care,
Ma. Sometime us two’ll go down to New York together, an’ I’ll give you
the time o’ your life."
 
For a moment Ma made no response. Then her quavering voice shook out
the words, as if they had been stray atoms, falling from a sieve: "It
ain’t the disappointment I’m after mindin’ so much," she lamented. "I
could thole that, itselfbut(perhaps it’s a silly old woman I am)! but
the notion it’s got into me head thatthatmaybe the lot o’ them_didn’t want me!_"

댓글 없음: