2016년 8월 1일 월요일

Making Over Martha 34

Making Over Martha 34


"I guess if you’re goin’ to wonder out loud, Ma, you’ll have to do it
later. I got to get this job off’n my hands right now, an’ between you
an’ me an’ the lamp-post, I ain’t so flip with my pen an’ ink, I can do
much of anythin’ fancy, _while you wait_. I got to take my time at it.
It’s the hardest stunt I know of. Firstoff, you got to have somethin’ to
write about, an’ then, before you’re fairly ready to put it downwhat
with delays, owin’ to spellin’, blots an’ so forthit’s got away from
you, an’ you have to think up somethin’ else in its place. While you’re
doin’ that the next idea gets away, so you’re left, whatever way you
look at it. Now, ’silence in the court-house,’ as Sammy says."
 
Ma would have given all she was worth to discover what it was that, for
the next couple of hours or so, Martha was so painfully employed upon.
She did her best to find out, but though she craned her neck, ducked her
head, peeked and peered, it was no use. A substantial elbow curved
around the paper, effectually shielding it from inquisitive eyes.
 
 
Dere doct. Ballad you will be supprised to here I am home again but that
is wear I am for Miss Clare is well enough now to spair me and the baby
is doing fine in spite of the nurses witch says she will live now witch
I thank them kindly wen her two cheeks is getting as pink as roses and
round besides so a blind man could see it and never a cry out of her the
hole day long the lamb or night either except wen neccery. Mr. F.
Ronald would not call the quean his cousin him and miss Kathrine is
bizzy getting a party from the city to come and give a corse of
leckchers to show the natives off of lantren slides what there bodies
maid out of and how there jerms looks wen you see them on a sheet verry
much unlarged. miss katrine hopes seeing what the licker does to his
jerms will scair Buller off the drink annyhow he ain’t drunk much as
ushal becaus he has bin driving her round in his backboard witch he is
verry proud of besides he has not the time wen he is doing it. Wile i
bean away Hireram parkinsin got meezils if this dont intrust you madam
Crew is verry well but her and Miss Kathrin is still on the outs why i
do not no Miss Kathrine was getting verry thin and wite when you left
she got going to Mr. F. Ronaldses now she looks better do not think that
is becaus ennything accepting the corse of leckchers. MEN is necherly
jellys pardon the libberty but believe me miss Kathrin is trew blew like
if she got found of any party once would not change to get found of any
other party no matter how plutonic as a gent leman i once lived out with
his wife Mr. Grandvil lately maid to a judg told me witch I just looked
it up in the dickshunnery for the speling and it ain’t what he told me
it was a tall but relating to regions of fire insted of cool like you
feel for your relations. Buller is heeling alrite so I no he is clean I
told him his hole arm would go if he did not let up on the drink i will
let you no if he lets up I will let you no if Madam crew and Miss
Kathreen lets up all so enny more i think will intrust you I know what
was in your hart wen you asked me so will rite as orphan as I can and no
other soul will knew you can count on me. Love to all Yours
 
trewly Martha Slawson.
 
 
The writing of the letter in itself might not have excited any undue
suspicion in Ma. Once in a long time Martha did actually "sit down to
take her pen in hand" to write to one of the relations, though usually
it was Cora who was offered up on the altar of family concord. But
to-day "me son Sammy’s wife’s" conduct was exceptional. She wrote and
rewrote, erased, tore up, until, Ma cogitated, "It’s fairly a caution,
an’ out of all sensibleness, the way she does be destroyin’ perfectly
good paper."
 
Also,
 
"It’d surely be a stranger she’d be after wastin’ all that time an’ ink
on, for not one of her own at all would ever be for gettin’ the like of
it." The next logical step in the shrewd deduction was"Who is the
stranger?"
 
Ma watched the little Mont Blanc at Martha’s elbow grow, until finally
it coasted, like a tiny avalanche to the floor. She watched her
daughter-in-law stoop, abstractedly gather up the fragments and stuff
them into her apron pocket.
 
When the great task was done, she saw the mysterious letter, artfully
resisting, obliged at last to yield to main force, and go into its
envelope whether it would or no. Saw it sealed, saw it stamped, saw it
directed, saw it triumphantly carried, by Martha’s own hand, to the
R.F.D. mail-box, though Ma insisted "one of the childern could go just
as good, an’ save you the steps, itself."
 
When Martha returned from her errand she found Mrs. Peckett in
possession of Sam’s chair by the table.
 
"And how’s Mrs. Slawson after all her troubles? It’s good to see you
home again," the caller greeted her before she had fairly crossed the
doorsill.
 
"Fine!" returned Martha, "only, I ain’t had any troubles."
 
"That’s what Martha always says," Ma observed half-complainingly,
"Martha always says she wouldn’t be for callin’ what-she’s-come-up-wit’
_trouble_. She says, if you don’t notice it, ’twill pass you by the
quicker, but if you clap a name to it, ’twill come in an’ live wit’ chu,
till you’d never get rid of it at all, like yourself this minute."
 
For a moment Martha felt as if she had taken a sudden dive in a
clumsily-run elevator. Through the "sinkin’ at the stummick" that
followed, she saw Mrs. Peckett flush, bridle, and brace, as if making
ready for fight. She flung herself into the breach, laughed, winked
confidentially over Ma’s head to their neighbor, and said calmly:
 
"Mrs. Peckett an’ me’ll have to grow your age, Ma, an’ be the mother o’
married sons, before we reely know what trouble is, won’t we, Mrs.
Peckett?"
 
Mrs. Peckett nodded.
 
"Though I will say, I never put much stock in all the talk that’s going
the rounds about mother-in-laws’ suffering at the hands of the parties
their sons married. Whenever I hear that kind of talk, I always point
to Mr. P.’s mother who lived with us a year and a half after we went to
housekeeping. The store she set by me! She was so afraid I’d do too
much, or be worried, or the like of that, that, at the last, when she
couldn’t say much of anything, for the weakness, she’d tell the nurse,
’Don’t let Beulah in!’ When the nurse told me about it, after Mother
Peckett was gone I was so affected I ’most cried. I said to the nurse,
’Did you ever!’ and the nurse said to me, ’We reap what we sow!’ Just
like that’We reap what we sow!’ I wager she’s told the story to many a
family she’s been out nursing since. Though, of course, one case don’t
prove the rule. But even if I am exceptional, I believe there’s lots of
daughter-in-laws better than they give them credit for being."
 
"Oh, I ain’t _complainin’_," Ma maintained. "Martha, here, duz fairly
well, an’ I’ll say this much for her, she’s turned out better than I
expected."
 
Martha bowed profoundly. "’Thank you, thank you, sir,’ she sayed.
’Your kindness I never shall forget!’"
 
"Me son Sammy was me youngest, an’ ’twas hard on me, part wit’ him, to
be married. All the time he was courtin’ Martha, I was prayin’ she’d
turn’m down, or somethin’d happen to come between’m, the way they’d
never go to the altar when the time come. I wanted Martha for to be
takin’ another fella was sparkin’ her along wit’ Sammy, but she didn’t.
She tuk Sammy, like as if it was to spite me. It fairly broke me
heart."
 
"Oho! So you had your love-affairs, like the rest of us, Mrs. Slawson.
Do tell! Is the heart-broken lover still hanging on, or——"
 
"Heart-broken nothin’!" ejaculated Martha scornfully. "Gilroy’s as
chipper as a squirrel, an’ don’t you forget it!"
 
Ma wagged a sagacious head. "But he never married, Martha. You know
that, as good as me. An’ it’s not for the lack of chances, itself.
There’s many a girl would give her eye-teeth for’m, wit’ the riches he
has, an’ dressin’ like a dood, the day."
 
Mrs. Peckett sighed. "Well, well, and I thought you to be such a sober,
steady-going woman, Mrs. Slawson! But it seems _you’ve_ had your
romance, too! It’s a surprise, butlive and learn! Live and learn!"
 
"That’s just it!" Martha returned. "We don’t. We live, but we don’t
learn, more’s the pity. Have a cup o’ tea. Ma relishes it, along about
this time in the afternoon, an’ it won’t be a mite o’ trouble. An’ you
must sample some cookies I made this mornin’. I’m quite stuck on my own
cookies, if I do say it, as shouldn’t."
 
After her guest had eaten, drunk, and departed, Martha observed with
more than usual gravity,
 
"Say, Ma, you never want to mention anythin’ to Mrs. Peckett you
wouldn’t just as lief was posted on a board-fence."
 
"Why, what call have you to say that to me, I should like to know,
Martha Carrol?"
 
"Nothin’ much, onlyI kind, o’ wish she hadn’t got wind o’ Gilroy."
 
"I do declare!" whimpered Ma, "Did you ever hear the like? If I so much
as open me lips, I’m rebuked for’t, the way I’d bring confusion on the
fam’ly. Better for me, if I kep’ to me own room entirely, an’ never set
foot here at all, to be accused o’ settin’ the neighbors gossipin’ when
’twas never me, in the first place, but yourself alone, mentioned
Gilroy’s name."
 
Martha shrugged. "Come on, now, Ma, cheer up! I didn’t mean to hurt
your feelin’s. It’s just I nacherly distrust Mrs. Peckett. I used to
think she was good, firstoff. But she’s as shifty as dust! I wouldn’t
put it before her to take anything she got a-holt ofthe innocentest
thing, an’ twist it into what’d scandalize your name, so you’d never get
rid of the smutch of it, however you’d try. The worst things ever I
heard of the folks in this place, Mrs. Peckett told me. It’s took me
over a year to find out most of’m’s just mischeevious tattle. You can
lock up against a thief, but you can’t pertec’ yourself from a liar."
 
Ma made no response, beyond blinking very fast for a second or so, but
that was enough for Martha. Recognizing it as the sign of a coming
deluge, she hastily changed the subject.
 
"What do you hear from the folks down home, these days?" she asked
affably.
 
"No more than yourself. Sam got a letter from one o’ them (Andy, I’m
thinkin’) this mornin’. Didn’t he be after readin’ it to youse before he went out?"

댓글 없음: