2016년 8월 1일 월요일

Making Over Martha 36

Making Over Martha 36


"An’ the funny part is, the parties we’re most likely to slip up on is
them we love the most."
 
"Go on."
 
"I was thinkin’ how, when my girl Cora was a baby in my arms, I had the
best holt o’ her I’ll ever have, prob’ly. Her an’ me understood each
other then. But now, every oncet in a while, I might as good be a
Dutchman, an’ her a Figi Injun for all we make o’ each other. I try to
hold in my horses, an’ hang on to all the patience I got at them times,
an’ I guess she does the same, an’ somehow, we manage to rub along, but
you may take it from me it’s some of a scratch! The same with the other
childern, as they grow up. Even down to Sabina, who, young as she is,
has a mind o’ her own an’ sever’l other parties to boot."
 
"And in the meantime, you and your husband are going without common
comforts, necessitiesfor those very children, who would turn about and
rend you at the first opportunity."
 
Martha laughed. "Not on your life they wouldn’t rent usor _sell_ us
either, when it come to the test. If we go without things, to give
_them_ a better start, we’re not foolin’ ourselves on it, believe _me_!
We’re makin’ a A1 investment. We don’t grumble at the taxes, or the
’sessments or all the rest o’ the accidental expensesso long as we know
they’re good. It’s when you’d feel you got a bad bargain on your hands,
like it’d be poor drainage, or hard as rocks, or leakin’ and shiftyit’d
be _then_ you’d hold back, sendin’ good money after bad. An’ then you’d
be wrong. For you can take it from me, there’s no child so bad it ain’t
worth savin’. You read about’m in the papers, how they steal an’ lie
an’ so forth, an’ when all’s said an’ done, it’s like pictures you’d get
of yourselfthey ain’t as good as you are, bad as you are. No, you
can’t spoil a good child, an’ you can help a bad one. So small credit
to us, Sam an’ I, if we do save. It’s for the sake of our own, which,
after all, we know the stuff they’re made of. Same as you and Miss
Katherine."
 
Madam Crewe was silent.
 
"No, it’s not puttin’ money in the childern, makes me sore," Martha
continued, "it’s when we scraped an’ screwed a few dollars together for
a nest-egg, an’ then, in the turn o’ a hand, it’s goneto pay for
somethin’ we never owed, nor no one got any good out of, but the wrong
fella."
 
"You mean you’ve been doing something foolish? Speculating? Losing
money?" demanded Madam Crewe abruptly.
 
"My husban’ signed a paper for his brother, an’ it let’m in for all we
had put by. I was wonderin’ if the paper I signed here early in the
summer, I was wonderin’ if _that_ had a sting in it, too? An’ if so,
how much?"
 
"I don’t understand."
 
"I mean, the paper I signed here the time Eunice Youngs an’ me both set
our names to it together."
 
"That paper was my will, woman. It had nothing to do with you."
 
"That’s what Sam told me, butI——"
 
"You could not be called upon to pay one copper because of what you did
that day. On the contrary—— No! Never mind! What have you stood to
lose through your husband’s foo——"
 
"He wasn’t any foolisher’n me," Martha anticipated her quickly.
 
"Your husband’s misfortune," amended Madam Crewe.
 
"Two-hunderd-and-fifty dollars. All we had saved. But we’ll set about
right over again, an’ if we have luck, we can put by some more. An’
anyhow, I’m thankful there won’t be another such call on us. That was
what I kinda had on my mind when I come."
 
"Well, you can shift it off your mind. I give you my word. You believe
me, don’t you?"
 
"Yes’m."
 
"And I believe you. So far we understand each other. Now, Slawson, I
am going to prove that I trust you. I am going to ask you an honest
question. I want an honest answer."
 
"Yes’m."
 
"You are the mother of four children. You have had experience in
bringing them up right. I have had one childone grandchild. I have
brought them both up_wrong_. What’s the trouble?"
 
Martha did not reply at once.
 
Madam Crewe waited patiently, making no attempt to hurry her, and the
room was as still as if it had been empty. At last Martha spoke.
 
"O’ course I d’know what the trouble was, if there was any, with your
boy. But it seems to me, I see where you kind o’ slipped up on it with
Miss Katherine."
 
"Well?"
 
"Firstoff, the way I look at it, childern is all selfish, which is only
to say they’re human, like the rest of us. They’re selfish an’ they’re
mischeevious, an’ they’re contrairy, for, when all’s said an’ done,
they’rechildern. What we want to do is, learn’m not to be selfish an’
mischeevious an’ contrairy. An’ how can we learn’m not to be it, if
we’re that way ourselves? There’s a lady I usedta work out for(you
know herMrs. Sherman, Mr. Frank Ronald’s sister). She give her boy
every bloomin’ thing money could buy——. But she never give’m a square
deal. You can take it from me, what a young ’un respec’s is a square
deal. He mayn’t _like_ it, but he respec’s it. An’ _you_ for givin’ it
to’m.
 
"Now, beggin’ pardon for the liberty, I don’t think Miss Katherine’s had
a square deal, or a fair show. She ain’t had what’s her rights, an’ she
knows it. You kep’ her too close onwell, lots o’ things. Love an’ a
free foot an’, oh, lots o’ things. She’s lived so long, as you might
say, from hand to mouth, that now she don’t know which is her hand an’
which is her mouth. An’ that makes her look kinda awkward to you. What
I’d rather my childern’d feel about me than anythin’ else is, that I see
their side an’ try to treat’m white. All the cuddlin’ an’ the coddlin’
in creation won’t help you, if your child knows it ain’t havin’ justice.
An’ all the strictness an’ the punishin’ won’t keep it straight, if it
ain’t sure there’s love along with the lickin’s.
 
"Miss Katherine’s a _good_ child. You couldn’t go far wrong, if you
took it for granted she was goin’ to do the right thing, like you are
yourself. If I was you, excuse me for sayin’ itif I was you, I’d kinda
open up to Miss Katherine. She’s young. With all she’s so tall an’
han’some-lookin’, she ain’t learned all the sense there is. She thinks,
the same’s the rest o’ the kids, that the only reason she ain’t got the
world for the askin’ is because her ’_mean ol’ fam’ly_’ don’t want her
to have no fun. Give her a chance. Show her you believe in her. You
got to believe folks believe in you, to do your best. Now, take you, for
instance. Your talkin’ up so quick an’ sharp as you do, makes most
parties feel you’re kinda hard to get along with. But my, _I_ get along
with you first-rate, because I ain’t fooled by your outsides. I know
your insides is all right, an’ that’s enough for me. But a young lady,
like Miss Katherine, she wouldn’t know. She’s got to be showed, like
Sam says they do in Missouri. But, you can take it from me, you
wouldn’t have to show her but once. There! I’ve talked a blue streak,
an’ prob’ly tired you all out. Only, you see, when you get me on
_childern_, you got me on a subjec’s my speciality, as you might say.
That is, I try to make it my speciality, like Sam does cows an’ pigs an’
farm-produc’s gener’ly, now he’s got to deal with’m. Before I go, can’t
I get you somethin’, or, maybe, see you safe in bed?"
 
"Bed?" echoed Madam Crewe sharply. "Why do you suggest bed to me? Do I
strike you as belonging there?"
 
"Oh, no’m!" lied Martha calmly. "I wasn’t thinkin’ o’ your comfort, so
much as mine. It kinda’s got to be a habit with me to want to tuck the
little ones up an’ cover’m over, ’n’ know they’re fixed for a good,
sound sleep, before I leave’m."
 
Madam Crewe set her lips.
 
"Well, Slawson, it won’t be long before you can do that for me. But not
to-night. Go your way now. It’s growing late. But come again soon.
Very soon, you understand?"
 
"Yes’m."
 
On her way out, Martha stopped at the kitchen door.
 
"Say, Eunice," she accosted that placid young woman whom she found
cozily toasting her toes before the grateful warmth of the range,
"where’s Miss Katherine?"
 
"I d’know."
 
"Who’s lookin’ after the little Madam?"
 
"Nobody much, lately. Miss Katherine used to, and she does now, when
she’s home, but she’s off, mostly, ’n’ I have all I can do getting my
work done up."
 
"Yes, I can see that," observed Martha dryly. "Well, I’m comin’ to-morra
again. You can tell Miss Katherine. But in the meantime, if you was
plannin’ to go home to-night, _doncher_. Just you stay right on deck
here all of the time, from this on, do you understand?"
 
"Why?"
 
"Because I _tell_ you, that’s why. You might be needed on short notice.
Now, are you goin’ to do as I say or ain’t you?"
 
"Yes."
 
"That’s a good girl. An’an’ if I should be needed for anythin’, any
time, just you come for me, quick as you can put, be it day or night,
an’ I’ll drop everythin’ an’ come."
 
Eunice followed her to the doorstep.
 
"Say, you give me the creeps, Mrs. Slawson."
 
Martha laughed. "Well, I’m glad if I got _some_ kinda move on you,
young lady. You certaintly need it."
 
But as she went her way home, Martha was in no laughing mood.

댓글 없음: