2016년 8월 1일 월요일

Making Over Martha 14

Making Over Martha 14


Something "Slawson" could not have analyzed kept her silent after she
and Miss Crewe left the room. Katherine was singularly mute. Martha
had waved the girl aside, and, grappling with the chest single-handed,
triumphantly had carried it off, the little madam watching the
performance covertly, with eyes glistening appreciation.
 
Her feat successfully accomplished, Martha went her way, clasping her
precious bundle. She was home before she was aware. Sam met her at the
door, his face revealing, to her who knew it, a secret delight.
 
"I’m to go to the city next week, mother. So, pack your bag and get
ready for your _wedding-tour_," he greeted her with sober fun.
 
"Have you told Ma and the childern?"
 
"No. I thought you’d better."
 
"Good. No hurry. Time enough later. I hope Ma won’t kick. It’ll mean
some work for her, while I’m gone_if she does it_, but nothing she
can’t reel off easy enough, if her spirit is willin’. I got a present,
Sam. From the ol’ lady."
 
"Yes, I know. The cow."
 
"No, I mean somethin’ else. The ol’ lady give me a surprise. She give
me a front seat to see her do a new turn, an’ she passed out soovenirs
to the audience, besides. I got mine here."
 
"What is it?"
 
"What’ll take me with you down home. I mean, New York."
 
"Money?"
 
"As good as. It’ll be money, when I’m done with it. Only, from now on,
for some days to come, I’m goin’ to be _Little Martha the Lace Mender_,
or, _The Postponed Bride_, an’ a buzz-saw will be safe for anybody to
monkey with by comparising."
 
It was a proud day for Martha when, her stint completed, she was able to
carry the curtains, exquisitely cleansed and mended, to Miss Claire.
 
"Now I’ve the money ackchelly in my pocket, I’ll tell Ma an’ the
childern," she said to Sam, who was washing his hands at the sink,
preparatory to sitting down to his midday meal.
 
"I wonder if Ma’ll kick?" he pondered solemnly.
 
"Nothin’ like tryin’, an’ findin’ out," Martha returned, "dishing up,"
with energy, as one after the other of her hungry brood appeared,
responding to her resounding call of "Dinner!"
 
"Say, Cora, doncher attempt to come to the table with that
shaggy-lookin’ head on you. Go smooth your hair back proper, like you
always wear it. I don’t mind most things, but to set down to eat
alongside somethin’ looks like a sky-tearer dog, _I will not_! Sammy,
take your hands outa your pockets, like a little gen’lman, an’ help
Sabina tie her napkin on an’ get into her high chair. Sabina, you leave
your brother tie your napkin on, when he offers to do it! I’m busy.
Say, Francie, when I told you trim the lamp this mornin’, I didn’t mean
cut the wick in _scollops_. Lucky I happened to see it, or we’d ’a’
been smoked out o’ house an’ home. Now, Ma, if you’re ready, we’ll
sit."
 
Ma being ready, they sat, and the meal progressed, notwithstanding the
fact that Cora, reappearing, shorn of her modish coiffure, was in no
mood for merry-making.
 
"I hate my hair this way!" she announced for the benefit of whom it
might concern.
 
"Ringlets is one thing, _stringlets_ is another," said Martha,
unreproachfully. "At least, _now_ you don’t look like somebody’d been
woolin’ the head of you. Have some stew?"
 
"No, I hate the very name o’ stew."
 
"Call it rag-goo, then, same’s Miss Claire’s grand chef-cook does. Have
some, anyhow, for luck. Here, cheer up, Cora! When I was a kid, I was
one o’ nine childern, an’ you can take it from me, we wasn’t thinkin’
half so much, in them days, what we’d eat as _where we’d get it_. When
I was twelvetwo years younger than youI went to live out scullery-maid
with Mrs. Underwood, God bless her! where my mother’d been cook before
me. From that day, I never went hungry no more, nor the ones at home
either. But I don’t like to see my childern turn up their noses at good
food. It ain’t becomin’. Now, eat your rag-goo like a lady, an’ we’ll
call it square. Say, Ma, you know what Sam an’ me’s goin’ to do?"
 
Ma shook her head, after the fashion of a mild bovine chewing the
meditative cud.
 
"We’re goin’ to play hookey. We’re goin’ to fly the coop, for a couple
o’ days, an’ go back home, to New York. Sam’s gottaon business, an’
I’m goin’ ta, on pleasure."
 
The moment following Martha’s announcement was one of intense silence.
The children and Ma were too amazed to speak. The idea of _Mother_
deserting, even for a few days, was hardly conceivable. Then, as the
monstrousness of it began to percolate, there rose a chorus of protest.
 
"Ooh, mother-r! What’ll we do?"
 
"I wanta go too!"
 
"No, take _me_, mother!"
 
Cora’s voice, at last, dominated the rest.
 
"Hush! Mother, can’t you make them hush? _I_ wanta say something!"
 
Martha checked the tumult with a warning hand. "Cora has the floor,
childern. Let her have her say, an’ then you can have yours."
 
"Silence in the court-house, the cat’s goin’ to preach!" Sammy
disrespectfully whispered in Francie’s ear.
 
"I think it’s _nice_ mother’n father ’re goin’ down to New York," Cora
announced. "It seemed kinda funny, firstoff, but I think it’s _nice_.
An’ they’ll have a good time. I’m glad they’re goin’."
 
Sam senior and Martha exchanged a look.
 
"Good for you, Cora! You’re a good girl!" said Sam.
 
With the eldest sister approving, and praised for doing so, the ground
was cut from under the younger children’s feet. They had nothing to
say.
 
"Well, Ma?" suggested Martha.
 
"_I’m_ glad you’re goin’ too," observed the old woman, "for I ben
thinkin’, a long time, I do be needin’ a change meself, an’ I wouldn’t
dare for to be venturin’ on the r-railroad alone. So, when the two of
youse goes down, why, I’ll just fare along wit’ chu."
 
"But Ma," objected Sam gently, "we can’t make out to take you. We’ve
barely enough to take ourselves. Mr. Ronald pays my expenses, but
Martha’s goin’ to buy her own ticket with the money Miss Claire paid her
for the curtains."
 
"You got somethin’ laid by," suggested Ma shrewdly.
 
"But we can’t touch it. It’s the first we ever been able to save, an’ I
wouldn’t lay finger on it for anythin’." Martha answered with unusual
feeling.
 
Ma was not disturbed.
 
"Well, between youse be it!" she declared. "I d’kno’ how you’ll settle
it, but this I kno’I’ve bided here the longest I’m abl’. I can thole
it no longer. I’m goin’ to the city. The heart in me is wastin’ awa’ to
see me dear sons an’ daughters down there. So let there be no
colloguin’. I’m goin’ to the city."
 
 
 
 
*CHAPTER VII*
 
 
It was late that night, and Martha and her husband were still engaged in
whispered conference.
 
"Ma’s mind’s like a train," Mrs. Slawson observed at length, "when it’s
oncet _made up_, you can take it or leave it, but _it’s_ goin’ its way,
weather or no. There’s no use strivin’ with her, Sam. We’re bound to
give in, in the end, an’ we may as well do it firstoff, an’ save our
faces. What’s the good kickin’ against the bricks?"
 
"But for her to use your hard-earned money just to gratify a whim!" Sam
fairly groaned.
 
"Well, wasn’t that what _I_ was goin’ to use it for? An’ after all,
she’s old. Let her have her bit o’ fun. God knows I don’t begrutch it
to her. She don’t get much joy outa her life."
 
"She has as much as you have."
 
A wonderful look irradiated Martha’s face. "I have you, Sam," she said
in a voice that matched the look. An instant, and both were gone.
Martha was her old self again. "An’ I’ve the childernan’ the hensan’
the_cow_!"
 
"Ma acts like a child sometimes, and a bad child at that."
 
"Certaintly she does. I sometimes think it’s a kinda pity a body can’t
lick her good, an’ put her to bed ’to await the results of her
injuries,’ as the papers says. But what’s the use o’ growin’ old, if
your white hairs don’t bring you the respec’ your black ones didn’t?
No, we gotta bear with Ma, Sam, an’ it’s better grin than groan, while
we’re doin’ it."
 
So, when the appointed day arrived, it was Ma, not Martha, who
accompanied Sam to New York on his "wedding-tour."
 
"My! I bet it’s hot on the train!" exclaimed Cora, appearing after a
prolonged absence, seating herself on the doorstep, from which the late
afternoon sun had just departed, fanning her flushed face with her hat.
 
For the first time during the busy day, Martha paused long enough to
listen.
 
"I guess it’s a hunderd in the shade," she observed. "But then, o’
course, you don’t have to stay in the shade, less you wanta."
 
Literal Cora, taking her seriously, came in out of the shade. "Mother, do you know something?"

댓글 없음: