2016년 8월 1일 월요일

Making Over Martha 15

Making Over Martha 15


Martha considered. "Well, when I was your age, I thought I did. But
now, the only thing I know, is, I _don’t_."
 
Cora pursed her lips. "Do you know, I think Dr. Ballard likes Miss
Crewe a lot."
 
"What makes you think so?"
 
"Well, the other day, I saw’m walkin’ together down Cherry Lane. An’
to-day I saw’m again. An’ I think it looks awful loverish to be walkin’
in Cherry Lane, where the trees branch over so, an’ it’s all quiet, an’
green, an’ lonesome, an’ nobody hardly ever comes, exceptin’——"
 
"Snoopy little girls who’ve no business there," supplied her mother
genially.
 
Cora sniffed. "Well, I guess you’ll be glad I was there, when you see
what I got. An’ I guess they’ll be glad too. One of’m dropped it an’
never noticed, an’ went off, an’ left it lyin’ in the middle o’ the
lane. After they’d gone, I saw somethin’ kind o’ like a yellow spot
sittin’ up in the grass, an’ I went an’ picked it up, an’ it was a bunch
o’ letters, tied with a pink ribbon. The ribbon’s so old it most frays
away before you touch it."
 
Martha extended a quiet, but coercive palm. "Hand it over."
 
Cora obeyed, craning her neck to see the last of the fascinating sheaf.
 
"Ain’t it funny writin’?" she inquired. "’Mifter Daniel Ballard.’ What
does _Mifter_ mean, mother? She don’t call him _Mifter_ inside. She
calls him, ’Beloved Daniel.’"
 
"How do you know?"
 
Cora hung her head. "I peeked," she confessed.
 
"How many of the letters did you peek at?"
 
"All of ’em. An’, oh, mother, it wasn’t any harm, ’cause they’re
fearful old. Eighteen-hundred and forty-four, they have written on ’em.
An’ the one who wrote ’em, her name was Idea Stryker. She must be dead
an’ buried long ago, mustn’t she, mother? I guess p’raps she died
because her beau, he didn’t answer her letters, or come to meet her
’down Cherry Lane’ like she begged him to. She felt simply terrible
about it. She liked him a whole lot, but he got mad at her, or
something, and wouldn’t answer her letters, or meet her, or anything.
When I get to be a grown-up young lady, I’d like to write such elegant
love-letters to somebody."
 
"He’d prob’ly go back on you, if you did. You see what happened to this
poor lady, an’ hist’ry repeats itself, like Mrs. Peckett. But what I
wanta tell you, Cora, is this: You done a wrong thing. You had no
business snoopin’ into what wasn’t your concern. Never you do so, no
more."
 
Cora’s voice sank. "I didn’t know ’twas wrong, mother."
 
"Did you know ’twas _right_?" Martha demanded. "A good way to do, when
you don’t know a thing’s wrong, is, stop a minute, an’ make sure it’s
_right_. See you folla that rule after this. Meanwhile, doncher let a
hint out o’ you, to Ann Upton, or anybody else, about these letters.
D’you hear?"
 
"Why?" asked Cora inquisitively.
 
Martha cast about for a reason potent enough to silence the childish,
chattering tongue.
 
"You don’t want to be disgraced, do you? Havin’ folks know you pried
into things wasn’t meant for you? Such scandals is sure to leak out, if
you whisper’m broadcast. If Mrs. Peckett oncet got a wind of it, you’d
never hear the last."
 
As a matter of fact, Mrs. Slawson’s mind was concerned much less with
Cora’s reputation, just at that moment, than with the letters she had
obliged that reluctant young lady to hand over. Now they were in her
own possession what should she do with them? To whom, by, rights, did
they belong?
 
"The letters’s signed Idea Stryker, which, I remember, Mr. Ronald said
that was ol’ lady Crewe’s queer name, before she was married. But she
wrote’m to somebody by the name o’ Ballard, which, I bet, he was the
doctor’s gran’pa, or somethin’. Now, who the lawful owner of them
letters is, it certaintly takes my time to decide. P’raps I better
wanda over to Miss Katherine after supper, an’ give’m to _her_. An’
_then_, I may be wrong."
 
The children, properly fed, cautioned "not to light the lamp, but set
outdoors like little ladies an’ gen’lmen, an’ get the air, an’ cool off,
an’ listen to the katy-dids doin’, till I come back," Martha proceeded
to wander over to Crewesmere.
 
Katherine had not yet gone upstairs, when she spied the familiar form
approaching through the waning light.
 
"Oh, Mrs. Slawson," she said, going down the garden-path to meet her.
"I’m so glad you’ve come. I’ve been thinking about you, ever since you
were here last, because I’m in trouble, and, I feel, somehow, you can
help me out. You’ve helped me out before, you know."
 
Her wistful attempt at a smile went to Martha’s heart.
 
"Well, my dear, helpin’ out is my speciality. Reg’lar service I have not
done since I was married, but helped out by the day, as there was need.
So, here I am, an’ if I can be of use, I never counted my _day_ by the
clock, an’ if the childern fall asleep on the grass itself, it won’t
hurt’m none. It’s too hot to rest indoors, anyhow."
 
"We’ll go to the back porch, where our voices won’t disturb
grandmother," explained Miss Crewe, leading the way.
 
"P’raps I better tell you right off what brought me," Martha began,
taking the lower porch step to sit upon in preference to the more
comfortable chair, on the level with her own, which Katherine indicated.
 
"No, please don’t!" Miss Crewe protested. "Let me speak first. I’m so
afraid something may happen to interrupt, and I know mine is more
important. I _must_ tell some one."
 
The girl did not pause, except to take breath between her difficult
sentences.
 
"You remember the day grandmother had me bring her her linen-chest? It
all dates from that day, I mean my trouble. I thought I knew before,
what trouble was, but _real_ trouble is only what one has to account for
to one’s own conscience."
 
Martha pretended not to notice the sobbing breath, on which the last
syllables caught, and were choked out.
 
"Grandmother never took her eyes off the chest while I unpacked it,"
Katherine labored on gallantly. "Never, except once. She said she knew
everything that was in it. But she didn’t. There was something she
didn’t mention. I came on it, lying almost at the bottom of the chest.
An odd, old-fashioned pocket, hung on a strap, as if it had been
suspended from a belt or a sash, and the strap was snappedtorn. A tiny
bit of a shred was caught in the lock of the chest. I saw it, as soon
as I opened the lid. As my fingers touched the pocket, something inside
it crackled. My heart fairly leaped, for I thought ’twas money.
Andoh, Mrs. Slawson, I need money! You mayn’t believe it, but I do. I
never have a cent I can call my own, and I’m not allowed to try to earn
anything. You knowmy father had plenty, and I ought to have plenty, if
I had my rights. I’ve sat here evening after evening, thinking,
thinking, what I could do in case of needin case a time came, when I
couldn’t endure it any longer. And when I felt what was inside that
pocket, when I felt it crackle, I thought it was money, andit was like
a gleam of hope. I watched for my chance. It came at lastthe one time
when grandmother glanced away. I grabbed the pocket, and hid it in my
dress. I didn’t stop to think what I was doing. But if I had, I don’t
believe it would have made any difference. I didn’t care if I _was_
stealing. I _just wanted that money_! It’s shameful to sit here, and
face you, and tell about it, butI guess I’m past shame. And then she
gave me the mull, and was kind. I’d have put the money back then, but
it was too late. She never took her eyes off me again, nor the chest.
And thenlaterafter you’d gone, I stole away to my room, andwhat was
in the pocket wasn’t money at all, but letters! Old, useless, miserable
letters!"
 
"Did you read’m?" asked Martha to cover the painful effort the girl was
making at self-control.
 
"No, I didn’t read them. After I’d taken the pocket, believing it held
money, and found only letters, I was too _honorable_ to read the
letters."
 
She spoke with bitterest self-contempt.
 
"I carried them in my dress, because I didn’t dare leave them anywhere
else. And to-day IIlost them. I know they were letters written by my
grandmother, when she was a girl. Her handwriting hasn’t changed much,
and I know if she dreamed they were lying about loose, lost, perhaps had
been found by some busybody, who would publish them all over town,
she’d——"
 
"That’s just what I come to tell you," Mrs. Slawson announced with a
breath of relief. "Thanks be! ’twas my girl, Cora, found the letters,
an’ she brought’m home to me. Not a soul besides us two has laid eyes
on’m. Cora don’t know any more than the angels above, that the one
wrote’m ain’t dead an’ gone, with a antapsie held over her remains, this
many a year. So, for all I see, your troubles are over, you poor child,
an’ you can lay your head on your pilla, an’ sleep sound this night, if
the heat, which it certaintly _is_ prosteratin’, don’t pervent. Here’s
the letters."
 
Katherine smiled faintly as she took the little packet.
 
"If I may make so bold, did you mean to be givin’ the letters to Dr.
Ballard?" Martha inquired, after a thoughtful pause. "I own up to you,
I ain’t been so fussy as not to read the name on the envelopes."
 
Miss Crewe winced. "Of course. That was right. No, I hadn’t planned
to give him the letters. At first I thought I would, but then I was
afraid I might be obliged to tell him how I came to have them, andI’m a
coward. I couldn’t bear to risk it. Do you think it’s my duty to tell
Dr. Ballard, Mrs. Slawson? Tell me what you think I ought to do."
 
"When a body sets out to tell another body what she’d ought to do, he
better be careful," replied Martha gravely. "You never know what you’re
up against. For instance, if you’re tellin’ a fella _love his neighbor
like himself_, that’s all right, only you wouldn’t be countin’ on his
bein’ one o’ the kind thinks he’s a little tin god on wheels. Bein’ as
he was that sort, you’d be tellin’ ’m make a graven image of his
neighbor, which he’d be constantly fallin’ down before’m, an’
worshippin’ ’m, like a heathen idol. You can take it from me, tellin’
people what they’d ought to do is a delicate jobtoo fine for the likes
of Martha Slawson. But I’d just as liefs tell you what you hadn’t ought
to do, one o’ which is, lie awake grievin’ over spilled milk that’s past
an’ gone. You mustn’t lug your mistakes along with you, every place you
go, like they was a basket o’ dirty clo’es. Now lots besides
laundryesses has dirty clo’es to wash, believe me. But if you pack’m up
respectable in nice, clean wrappin’ paper, with a stout string, or a
decent telescope bag, nobody’ll be the wiser, an’ your neighbors won’t
objec’ sittin’ beside you in the cars. It’s when you force your dirty
clo’es under the noses of the other passengers, an’ make’m
uncomfortable, they’ve a kick comin’. No, if I was you (beggin’ your
pardon for the liberty) I wouldn’t tell Dr. Ballard a thing ’twouldn’t
be a pleasure to’m to hear. I worked for a lady, Mrs. Sherman, an’ she
used ta wait to do things for, what she callednow, do you believe me, I
can’t remember the name of it! It was some kind o’ _moment_. She
talked about it frequent. Thethesy——" Martha racked her brains laboriously.

댓글 없음: