2015년 7월 28일 화요일

General Nelson's Scout 12

General Nelson's Scout 12


The father staggered as if a knife had pierced his heart. He threw out
his hands wildly, and then pressed them to his breast and gasped: "Fred,
Fred, you don't mean it!"
 
"I was never more in earnest in my life."
 
Mr. Shackelford's feelings underwent a sudden change. His face became
purple with rage; love for his son was forgotten.
 
"Do that," he thundered, "do that, and you are no son of mine. I will
disown you, I will cast you out, I will curse you."
 
"Father," said Fred, in a low tremulous voice, "if part we must, do not
let us part in anger. Never have I loved you better than now; you do
what you believe to be right; I do what I believe to be right. We both
perform our duty as we see it. God will hold the one who blunders
blameless. Let us then part in peace."
 
Mr. Shackelford, with white, drawn face, pointed to the door, and
uttered the one word, "Go!"
 
"Oh, father, father, do not send me away with a curse. See, father,"
and he turned to his mother's portrait which hung on the wall, "mother
is looking down on us; mother, who loved us both so well. How can you
account to her that you have turned away her only son with a curse, and
for no crime, but the one of loving his country."
 
"Boy, boy, have you no mercy that you will not only break my heart, but
tear it out by the roots."
 
"I am the one who asks for mercy, who pleads that you send me not away
with a curse."
 
"Fred, for the sake of your mother, I will not curse you, but I will, if
you remain in my sight. Here," and he went to his safe, opened it, and
took out a package of money. "Here is $1,000, take it and Prince, and
begone. Go to that man, Nelson, who has seduced you. It is a heavy
account I have to settle with him. Go before I forget myself and curse
you."
 
For a moment Fred gazed in his father's face; there was no wrath,
nothing but love in his look. Then he took the money and said: "Father,
I thank you; I not only thank you, but bless you. May God protect you in
the midst of dangers. Not a day shall pass but I shall pray for your
safety. Good-bye, father."
 
He turned and went out.
 
Mr. Shackelford staggered towards the door. "Fred!" It was the cry of a
repentant soul. The boy's footstep echoed outside along the hall,
fainter and fainter.
 
The father groped blindly, as if about to fall.
 
"Fred, Fred, come back!"
 
The outer door closed; his boy was gone.
 
Mr. Shackelford staggered backward and groaned, as if in mortal agony.
Then his eye caught the portrait of his wife looking down on him.
Raising his arms beseechingly, he cried: "Oh, Laura! Laura! What have I
done? Don't look at me so; I didn't curse him. I would have called him
back. My boy! my boy! Oh, God! Oh, God!"
 
It was with a heavy heart that Fred left the house. As he shut the door,
he thought he heard his father call. He stopped and listened, but
hearing nothing, he went on. Getting his horse, he rode to Danville. His
little sister was visiting at Judge Pennington's, and he wanted to see
her, as well as to bid farewell to his uncle, and see Calhoun. He had no
idea but that his uncle would forbid him the house when he heard of his
being cast off by his father.
 
He found Judge Pennington at home, and frankly told him what had
happened, shielding his father as much as possible, and not sparing
himself.
 
The judge went into a fearful passion.
 
"Why, why, you young jackanapes," he roared; "it's a horse-whipping you
want, and you would get it if you were a boy of mine! Disowned you, did
he? And drove you away? Well, he is a fool, too. A good tanning is what
you need, and, by Jove! I have a mind to give it to you," and he shook
his cane threateningly. "Going to join the Yankee army, are you? Join
and be hanged, you idiot! A Shackelford in the Yankee army! I'll,
I'll--" but the judge was too angry to say more.
 
"Now, uncle, don't get in a rage; it's no use. My mind is fully made up.
I shall join the Union army in some capacity."
 
"Get out of my sight, you young idiot, you!" thundered the judge.
 
Just then Calhoun came in. "What's the row?" he asked, looking from one
to the other.
 
"Row, row!" sputtered the judge. "If you were as big a fool as your
cousin there, I would skin you alive."
 
"Glad you have at last come to a full appreciation of my worth," coolly
replied Calhoun. "For years I have had the virtues of my cousin held up
to me as a shining mark to follow. Now, I find I am saving my skin by
surpassing him in the wisdom of this world. Congratulate me, dear
father."
 
"Why, this fool says he is going to enlist in the Yankee army," foamed
the Judge, pointing at Fred.
 
"And this fool says he is going to enlist in the Southern army,"
answered Calhoun, pointing to himself.
 
The judge was sobered instantly. "Calhoun, you don't mean it?" he asked.
 
"Yes, I do mean it," stoutly replied the boy. "Why not? Haven't you been
talking for years of the rights of the South? Are you not doing
everything possible to take Kentucky out of the Union? Haven't you
encouraged the enlistment of soldiers for the South? Then why not I? Why
am I better than others? Father, I don't want to quarrel with you as
Fred has with his father, but I am going into the Southern army, and I
hope with your blessing."
 
The judge was completely sobered. Having his son go to war was so much
different from having some one else's son go.
 
"Do not do anything rash, my son," he said to Calhoun. "When the time
comes if you must go, I will see what can be done for you. As for you,
Fred," he said, "you stay here with Calhoun until I return. I am going
to see your father," and calling for his horse, the judge rode away.
 
It was afternoon before the judge came back. Calling the boys into a
room for a private interview, he said: "Fred, I have been to see your
father, and he is very much chagrined over your disobedience. His fierce
anger is gone, and in its place a deep sorrow. He does not ask you to
give up your principle, but he does ask that you do not enter the
Federal army. You are much too young, to say nothing of other
considerations. You should accept his proposition and go to Europe. We
have come to this conclusion, that if you will go I will send Calhoun
with you. That will be an even stand off. Calhoun wants to enter the
Southern army, you the Northern, so neither section loses anything. You
have both done your duty to your section, and both will have the
pleasure and advantage of a university course in Europe. What do you
say, boys?"
 
"That it is a mean underhanded way to prevent me from entering the
army," flared up Calhoun. "I hope Fred will not accept."
 
"Be careful, boy," said the judge, getting red in the face. "You will
not find me as lenient as Mr. Shackelford has been with Fred. You will
go where I say."
 
Calhoun's temper was up, and there would have been a scene right then
and there if Fred had not interfered.
 
"Uncle," said he, "there is no use of Calhoun and you disagreeing over
this matter. I shall not go to Europe; so far as I am concerned, it is
settled. As for Calhoun entering the army, you must settle that between
you."
 
Calhoun pressed Fred's hand, and whispered, "Good for you, Fred; you
have got me out of a bad scrape. I think father will consent to my going
in the army now."
 
The judge stared at the boys, and then sputtered: "Both of you ought to
be soundly thrashed. But if Fred's mind is made up, it is no use
pursuing the matter further."
 
"I am firmly resolved," answered Fred.
 
"Then," answered the judge, "I will say no more, only, Fred, my house is
open to you. When you get sick of your foolish experiment you can have
a home here. Your father refuses to see you unless you consent to obey."
 
"I thank you, uncle," said Fred, in a low voice, "but I do not think I
shall trouble you much."
 
In justice to Mr. Shackelford, it must be said it was by his request
that Judge Pennington made this offer to Fred. Mr. Shackelford's heart
had softened towards his son, and he did not wish to cast him off
entirely. But the destiny of father and son was to be more closely
interwoven than either thought.
 
Fred remained at his uncle's until the next day. He and Calhoun slept
together or rather occupied the same bed, for they had too much talking
to do to sleep. Both boys were romantic and fond of adventure. Both
longed for the fierce excitement of war. They did not talk as enemies.
They did not realize that they might face each other on the field of
battle. They talked of their oath, and again promised to keep it to the
letter.
 
They were like two brothers, each going on a long journey in different directions. Their parting the next morning was most affectionate, and when Fred rode away he turned his horse's head in the direction of Camp Dick Robinson.

댓글 없음: