2015년 7월 27일 월요일

My Escape from Germany 39

My Escape from Germany 39


The incident decided me. “South,” I called over my shoulder.
 
A short time later, the peat holes grew scarcer.
 
“West!”
 
There were the slimy patches again! We went around a few. Most of them
we crossed in a bee-line. They seemed firmer here. A few much smaller
sheets of water! Then again a flat, unbroken, springy surface.
 
We were all going strong, out to make westing as fast as we could put
our feet to the ground; no thought, now, of crouching.
 
* * * * *
 
A barbed wire, behind it a deep, wide ditch, beyond that a plowed
field, were in front of us.
 
The human mind is a queer contrivance. We had just negotiated some
rather ugly ground. We had not bothered about, hardly become aware of,
the risks we had taken. Now we were hesitating for a few moments in
front of a ditch with firm sides which, at the worst, we could easily
have waded. At last we jumped, landing in the water half-way up to our
knees. I lost my precious aluminium water-bottle there. Then across the
field, across another ditch, and so four times.
 
On the way I asked Tynsdale: “Nothing to remark about our course?”
 
“I thought you altered it, and swung due west at one point.”
 
“Yes, after the shots.”
 
“Intentional?”
 
“Sure!”
 
“Thought so.”
 
A canal, seemingly in course of construction, was crossed on a large
tree-trunk, which bridged it. Kent and I did it astride. Tynsdale
walked. Two hundred yards farther we stood on the banks of another
full-grown canal.
 
“We must be in Holland,” I remarked.
 
“I wouldn’t like to say so,” replied Kent. “You know there’s a canal
parallel and close to the frontier on the German side, forty or fifty
miles farther south.”
 
“Yes, and it’s marked on our map, and this isn’t.”
 
“A river, not a canal, was to show us we were in Holland!”
 
“True, but they may have turned the river into a canal. Man, the
frontier runs across the swamp. We’re off the swamp. We’re in Holland,
I bet you what you like.”
 
“I don’t think you ought to be so cock-sure.”
 
“But I am. Here, do you want to swim across?”
 
“No.”
 
“All right! We’ll turn south along its banks!”
 
Soon we came abreast of a house which lay a hundred yards or so to the
east, toward Germany.
 
“Let’s go have a look,” I suggested. We did so.
 
The whole character of the cottage, for such it was, struck me as
un-German. I pulled out my torch: “This isn’t German. Look at that
front door. Decorated with painted flowers!”
 
Kent arrived breathlessly from somewhere: “This can’t be Germany! There
is a big dish, full of potatoes, on the table in the front room!”
 
“Let’s knock!”
 
We knocked. We had no time to ask questions, for, before the last rap
had sounded, “Holland! Holland!” called a male voice from within.
 
Holland! We stood and looked at one another silently, then retreated a
few steps.
 
“Cheers, boys,” I said. “Hip, hip, hip--”
 
Three feeble cheers seemed to be immediately swallowed up in the
darkness. How thin, weak, and far away our voices sounded!
 
Then we turned, to make our way to the nearest village.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXVI
 
FREE AT LAST
 
 
We had only gone a few steps when a man came running after us. His
Dutch and our German made conversation possible. Kent was rather good
at understanding and imparting his meaning.
 
“Orlog gefangenen?” the man asked.
 
“Yah, yah!”
 
“Roosland?”
 
“Nay, nay; Engelsch!”
 
“Engelsch?” He gripped our hands and shook them warmly. Then we had
to accompany him back to his cottage. He ushered us into the room
where Kent had seen the “big dish, full of potatoes.” His wife, in
picturesque undress, fired a volley of questions at her husband,
clasped her hands, shook ours, and began lighting the kitchener. Two
daughters--or were there three?--emerged from cavernous cabin beds, let
into the wall. Shyly they dressed in front of us.
 
Then the table was loaded with things to eat. We had fried veal,
bread, butter, and plenty of milk and hot coffee. All this was offered
us spontaneously in a farm laborer’s cottage at 2:30 in the morning.
Enviously I watched my companions enjoying their meal. I was too done
up to make more than a show of it.
 
A little later the man accompanied us to the nearest village,
Sellingen. He walked in front with Kent, Tynsdale and I followed in
the rear. The walk was a nightmare to me. Our guide carried a lantern.
I could not keep my eyes off its reflex on the ground. The direct
rays stabbed intolerably into my eyes. It seemed to hang in a Gothic
archway, which always kept receding in front of me. I was almost
convinced of the reality of the archway.
 
“Can’t we get through that gate?” I asked Tynsdale.
 
“What gate? Here, where are you going?” and he pulled my arm and
saved me from walking slap into the canal. After that I pulled myself
together and felt better. Both my friends were much fresher than I.
 
We arrived at the village at last, and were given a delicious bed on
plenty of straw, with plenty of blankets.
 
Kent was up early next morning. He accepted I do not know how many
successive invitations to breakfast, while Tynsdale and I slept until
half-past seven. In the course of the morning we were taken to a
military station at Ter Apel by the village policeman, who appeared in
his best uniform, with two huge silver tassels at his chest.
 
The very atmosphere was different. A sergeant in whose special charge
we were placed regretted that he could not put proper rooms at our
disposal. “But since the gentlemen will have to be quarantined first,
they will perhaps understand if we keep them away from upholstered
furniture.”
 
We had a wash, and an excellent meal, with a bottle of port.
 
“Did you meet any sentries?” we were asked.
 
“Not one.”
 
“Where did you cross over?”
 
“North of Sellingen.”
 
“You came over the swamp, then?” with elevated eyebrows.
 
“Yes, right across.”
 
“You were lucky. Up to a fortnight ago, sentries stood along the
frontier at one hundred-meter intervals. Then they were withdrawn,
because the swamp became impassable. You were fortunate, too, in
getting across the Ems. A great many fugitives get drowned in it.”
 
“Once, during my first attempt, I got caught on Dutch soil by the
Germans,” I remarked in the course of the conversation.
 
“What? On Dutch territory? Where was that?” The sergeant was very much
interested.
 
“I can show it to you on a map. It was northwest of Bocholt.”
 
He disappeared and returned with maps and telegraph forms. I told him
my story, and he made notes and wrote two telegrams.
 
“What you say is possible,” he said at last. “Our men stand three
hundred meters behind the actual frontier.”
 
The next two nights we spent in a hutment in Coevorden. We met a number
of Russian privates and N.C.O.’s there, who had made good their escape
and were, like us, waiting to be sent to a quarantine camp. Among them
were three who had crossed the same night as we, but through the woods
at the northern end of the swamp. We were indebted to them and their
dead comrade on German soil for the warning shots at midnight.
 
There followed a fortnight in quarantine camp in Enschede. Under the
Dutch regulations, any person “crossing the frontier in an irregular
manner,” without a passport, viséd by a Dutch consul, is subjected to this quarantine. We tried to shorten our stay there, pleading that we came from a healthy camp. We were unsuccessful.

댓글 없음: