2015년 7월 28일 화요일

General Nelson's Scout 8

General Nelson's Scout 8


"Oh! Robert, if you should be killed!" and the girl sobbed piteously.
Had a shadow of the future floated before her? Months afterward that
little flag was returned to her bloodstained and torn.
 
"Come, come!" said Mrs. Vaughn, "this will never do, rather let us
rejoice that we are all alive and happy this morning. Mabel, give us
some music."
 
Two or three lively airs dispelled all the clouds, and Fred took his
leave with the promise that he would never come to Louisville without
calling.
 
Fred's return to Nicholasville was without adventure. He wondered what
had become of Captain Conway, and laughed when he imagined the meeting
between the captain and Major Hockoday. He found Prince none the worse
for his fast riding, and jumping gaily on his back, started for home,
returning by way of Camp Dick Robinson. Here he met Lieutenant Nelson,
who warmly grasped his hand, and thanked him for his services in
delivering his message.
 
"But," continued Nelson, "I have heard rumors of your performing a still
more important part, and securing papers of the greatest value to us.
Tell me about it."
 
When Fred related his meeting with Major Hockoday and Morgan, and how
he had wrung the dispatch from Captain Conway, Nelson nearly went into
an apoplectic fit from laughter. Then he stood up and looked at the boy
admiringly.
 
"Fred," he said, "you have done what one man in a hundred thousand could
not have done. The government shall know of this. Not only this; but if
you will enter my service, not as a spy, but as a special messenger and
scout, I will see that you are enrolled as such with good pay."
 
Fred shook his head. "You must remember, sir, I am but a boy still under
the control of my father. I accepted the mission from you, which I did,
on the impulse of the moment; and I fear when I return home, I shall
find my father very much offended."
 
"Is your father a Union man?" asked Nelson.
 
"I do not know. My mother died but a few weeks ago, and since her death
father has taken no interest in the events going on around him. I have
never heard him express any opinion since the war really began. Before
that he was in hopes it could be settled peaceably."
 
"Well, my boy, whatever happens, remember you have a friend in me. Not
only this, but if you can arrange it amicably with your father, I may
call on you, if at any time I have a very delicate mission I wish to
have performed."
 
Fred thanked him, and rode on to his home. He found his father in very
earnest conversation with his uncle, Judge Pennington, and Colonel
Humphrey Marshall, a well-known Kentuckian. The trio were earnestly
discussing the war, Judge Pennington and Colonel Marshall trying to
convince Mr. Shackelford that it was his duty to come out boldly for the
South, instead of occupying his position of indifference.
 
When Mr. Shackelford saw Fred, he excused himself a moment, and calling
him, said: "Where in the world have you been, Fred? I thought you were
with your Cousin Calhoun, and therefore borrowed no trouble on account
of your absence. But when your uncle came a few moments ago, and
informed me you had not been there for three days, I became greatly
alarmed, and as soon as I could dismiss my visitors I was going to
institute a search for you."
 
"I am all right, father," answered Fred. "I have been to Louisville. I
will tell you all about it when you are at leisure."
 
"Very well," replied Mr. Shackelford, and went back and resumed the
conversation with his guests.
 
In the evening, when father and son were alone, Fred told where he had
been, and who sent him. Mr. Shackelford looked grave, and said:
 
"Fred, this is a bad business. Since the death of your mother, I have
taken but little interest in passing events. I have just awakened to the
fact that there is a great war in progress."
 
"Yes, father," said Fred in a low tone, "war on the old flag. Which side
should one be on?"
 
Mr. Shackelford did not answer for a moment, and then he said, with a
troubled countenance: "I had almost as soon lose my right arm as to
raise it against the flag for which my fathers fought. On the other
side, how can I, a man Southern born, raise my hand against my kindred?
Kentucky is a sovereign State; as such she has resolved to be neutral.
The South is observing this neutrality, the North is not. Even now the
Federal government is raising and arming troops right in our midst. This
Lieutenant Nelson, to whom you have rendered such valuable services, is
foremost in this defiance of the wishes of Kentucky. The raising and
arming of Federal troops must be stopped, or the whole State will be in
the throes of a fratricidal strife. Your uncle and Colonel Marshall are
for Kentucky's seceding and joining the South. For this I am not
prepared, for it would make the State the battleground of the contending
armies. But the neutrality of Kentucky must be respected. Let me hear no
more of your aiding Nelson, or you are no son of mine."
 
"Father, you say Kentucky is a sovereign State. Is it right then for
those who favor the South to try and force Kentucky into the Southern
Confederacy against the will of a majority of her people?"
 
Mr. Shackelford hesitated, and then said: "As much right as the
Unionists have to force her to stay in. But I do not ask you to aid the
South, neither must you aid Nelson."
 
Mr. Shackelford drew a deep sigh, and then continued: "Your mother
being a Northern woman, I suppose you have imbibed some of her peculiar
ideas. This war is a terrible thing, Fred. Oh, God! why must the two
sections fight?" And he turned away to hide his feelings.
 
Under the circumstances, Fred thought it best not to say anything about
his adventure with Captain Conway, or what happened in Louisville. But
he readily promised his father he would do nothing to aid either side
without consulting him.
 
"Now, Fred," said Mr. Shackelford, "this business being settled, I have
another matter I wish to talk about. My business is in such shape it is
of the utmost importance that I get some papers to your Uncle Charles in
Nashville for him to sign. Mail, you know, is now prohibited between the
two sections. To travel between the two States is becoming nearly
impossible. It will soon become entirely so. Even now, the journey may
be attended with great danger; and I would not think of asking you if it
was not so important for your Uncle Charles to sign the papers. But as
much as I would like to have you make the journey, I shall not command
you, but let you exercise your own pleasure."
 
"Just the thing!" shouted Fred, his boyish enthusiasm and love of
adventure aroused. "I shall enjoy it. You know a spice of danger adds
enjoyment to one's journey."
 
"Well," said his father, "it is all settled, then, but be very careful,
for they tell me the whole country is in a state of fearful ferment.
One thing more, Fred; if you have any Union sentiment, suppress it
entirely while you are gone. It will not do in Middle Tennessee; there
are no Union men there."
 
The next morning, after kissing his little sister good-bye, and
promising his father to be very careful, Fred started on his journey.
Nashville was about one hundred and sixty miles away, and he calculated
he could reach it in three days. From Danville he took the main road to
Liberty, thence to Columbia, where he stopped for the night. His next
day's ride took him to Glasgow, then south to Scottsville. He found the
whole country in a state of the greatest excitement; and passed numerous
companies of Kentuckians going south to join the Confederate army. After
leaving Columbia, he saw nothing but the Confederate flag displayed. If
there were any Unionists, they did not let the fact be known.
 
Just over on the Tennessee side, as he passed into that State, was a
large encampment of Confederate troops; and Fred was repeatedly asked to
enlist, while many a covetous eye was cast on his horse. It was
afternoon before he reached Gallatin, where he stopped for refreshments
for himself and horse.
 
He found the little city a perfect hotbed of excitement. The people were
still rejoicing over the victory at Bull Run, and looking every day for
Washington to fall. To them the war was nearly over, and there was joy
on every countenance. When it became known at the hotel that Fred was
from Kentucky, he was surrounded by an eager crowd to learn the news
from that State.
 
In reply to his eager questioners, Fred said:
 
"Gentlemen, I do not know that I can give you anything new. You know
that Kentucky has voted to remain neutral, but that does not prevent our
people from being pretty evenly divided. Many of our most prominent men
are advocating the cause of the South, but as yet they have failed to
overcome the Union sentiment. The day after the battle of Bull Run there
was a riot in Louisville, and it was thought that the friends of the
South might be able to seize the city government, but the movement
failed."
 
"Where did you say you were from?" asked one of the bystanders.
 
"From Danville," answered Fred.
 
"You are all right in that section of the country, are you not?"
 
"On the contrary," replied Fred, "a Lieutenant Nelson has organized a
camp at Dick Robinson, but a few miles from where I live, and is engaged
in raising ten regiments of Kentucky troops for the Federal army."
 
The news was astounding, and a murmur of surprise ran through the crowd,
which became a burst of indignation, and a big red-faced man shouted:
 
"It's a lie, youngster; Kentuckians are not all cowards and
Abolitionists. You are nothing but a Lincolnite in disguise. Hang him,
boys! hang him!"
 
"You are right," said Fred, advancing on the man, "when you say all
Kentuckians are not cowards. Some of them still have courage to resent
an insult, especially when it is offered by a cur," and he dealt the man
a blow across the face with his riding-whip with such force as to leave
an angry, red mark.
 
The man howled with pain and rage, and attempted to draw a revolver, but
stout hands laid hold of him, and he was dragged blaspheming away.

댓글 없음: