2015년 7월 28일 화요일

General Nelson's Scout 34

General Nelson's Scout 34


They found General Buell in the highest of spirits, and Fred was given a
warm welcome. He looked over General Thomas' report, and his whole face
beamed with satisfaction. He asked Fred a multitude of questions, and
was surprised at the knowledge of military affairs which he showed in
his answers.
 
"I think, General," said General Buell, turning to Nelson, after he had
dismissed Fred, "that you have not overestimated the abilities of your
protégé. In a private note General Thomas speaks in the highest terms of
him. I shall do what you asked."
 
"Thank you, General," said Nelson. "Somehow I have taken wonderfully to
the boy."
 
What it was General Buell was to do for Fred, that individual was in
ignorance.
 
While in Louisville many of Fred's leisure moments were spent at the
hospitable home of the Vaughns. Mabel's betrothed was now at the front,
and it was astonishing how much note paper that young lady used in
writing to him.
 
"You don't write that often to your brother," said Fred, smiling.
 
"My brother?" asked Mabel, looking up in surprise.
 
"Yes, your humble servant; didn't you adopt me as a brother?"
 
Mabel burst out laughing. "Oh!" she replied, "one doesn't have to write
so often to a brother. Lovers are like babies; they have to be petted.
But to change the subject, where does my knight-errant expect to go for
his next adventure?"
 
"I don't know," answered Fred. "Things appear to be rather quiet just
now."
 
But events were even then transpiring that were to take Fred to a
different theater of action.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XVI.
 
FORT DONELSON.
 
 
Commodore Foote and General U. S. Grant sat conversing in the
headquarters of the latter at Cairo, Illinois. The general was puffing a
cigar, and answered in monosyllables between puffs.
 
"You have heard nothing yet, have you, General," the commodore was
asking, "of that request we united in sending to General Halleck?"
 
"Nothing," answered Grant, moodily.
 
There was silence for some time, the general apparently in deep thought.
The commodore broke the silence by asking:
 
"You went to see him personally once on this matter, did you not?"
 
"He ungraciously gave me permission to visit St. Louis in order to see
him, after I had begged for the privilege at least half a dozen times,"
Grant answered.
 
"And you laid the matter before him in all its bearings?"
 
"I tried to."
 
"What did he say?"
 
"Say! he struck me."
 
"Struck you?" asked the commodore, starting in surprise.
 
Grant smiled. "I mean," said he, "that he struck me metaphorically. I
don't believe he would have hurt me as badly, if he had really struck
me. I was never so cut in all my life. I came away feeling that I had
committed an unpardonable sin from a military standpoint."
 
"Then he would not hear to the proposition at all?"
 
"Hear it! He would not listen to me. I came away resolving never to ask
another favor of him. Yet so anxious am I to make this campaign that, as
you know, I swallowed my pride and united with you in making the request
that we be allowed to make the movement."
 
"It is strange," replied the commodore, "that he should ignore both our
requests, not favoring us even with a reply. Yet it seems that he must
see that Fort Henry should be reduced at once. If we delay, both the
Cumberland and the Tennessee will be so strongly fortified that it will
be almost impossible to force a passage. Everything is to be gained by
moving at once. Everything may be lost by delay."
 
"Even a civilian ought to see that," replied Grant, as he slowly blew a
cloud of smoke from his mouth, and watched it as it lazily curled
upward.
 
"The truth of it is," Grant continued slowly, as if weighing every word,
"too many of us are afraid that another general may win more honor than
we. Then there are altogether too many separate commands. Now, here are
Buell and myself; each with a separate command, yet both working for the
same object. I should either be subject to the command of Buell, or he
should be subject to my orders. We are now like two men trying to lift
the same burden, and instead of lifting together, one will lift and then
the other. Such a system can but prolong the war indefinitely."
 
"General," said the commodore, earnestly, "I sincerely wish you had the
supreme command here in the West. I believe we would see different
results, and that very soon."
 
Grant blushed like a schoolgirl, fidgeted in his seat, and then said:
"Commodore, you do me altogether too much honor. But this I will say, if
I had supreme command I should not sit still and see the Tennessee and
Cumberland rivers fortified without raising a hand to prevent it.
Neither do I believe in letting month after month go by for the purpose
of drilling and organizing. The Government seems to forget that time
gives the enemy the same privilege. What is wanted is hard blows, and
these blows should be delivered as soon as possible. Sherman was right
when he asked for 200,000 men to march to the Gulf, yet he was sneered
at by the War Department, hounded by every paper in the land, called
insane, and now he is occupying a subordinate position. The war could be
ended in a year. No one now can tell how long it will last."
 
Just then a telegram was placed in Grant's hands. He read it, and his
whole face lighted up with pleasure.
 
"You look pleased," said the commodore. "The telegram must bring good
news."
 
Without a word Grant placed the telegram in the hands of the commodore.
It was an order from General Halleck to move up the Tennessee as soon as
possible and capture Fort Henry.
 
"At last," said the commodore, his face showing as much pleasure as did
Grant's.
 
"At last," responded Grant; and then, quickly, "Commodore, we may have
done an injustice to General Halleck. There may be good reasons we know
not of why this order should not have been made before. Commodore, be
ready to move with your fleet to-morrow."
 
"That soon?" asked the commodore.
 
"That soon," responded Grant.
 
"General, I shall be ready; and now good-bye, for both of us have much
before us. But before I go, let me congratulate you. I believe that
success and great honor await you," and with these words the commodore
withdrew.
 
The next day, with 15,000 men, General Grant was steaming up the
Tennessee.
 
General Buell sat in his headquarters at Louisville. General Nelson,
accompanied by Fred, had dropped in to see his general, and at the same
time to give vent to some of his pent-up feelings.
 
"It's a shame, a shame!" he fumed, "for us to sit here and let the
Rebels fortify Bowling Green and Dover and Columbus, and build forts to
blockade the Tennessee, and we not raise a finger to prevent it."
 
Buell smiled at his irate general, and asked: "And what would you do,
Nelson?"
 
"Do!" roared Nelson, "do! I would strike, and strike hard. I would give
them precious little time to build forts."
 
Before General Buell could answer, an orderly entered with a telegram.
He read it, and turning to Nelson, said:
 
"Well, General, you can cease your fuming. This telegram is from General
Halleck. He tells me he has ordered General Grant up the Tennessee to
reduce Fort Henry, and he wants me to co-operate as much as possible in
the movement."
 
Nelson was on his feet in an instant.
 
"General," he exclaimed, "I have a favor, a great favor to ask of you."
 
Buell smilingly answered: "I think I know what it is without your
asking. You want me to send your division."
 
Nelson bowed.
 
"I do not see how I can spare so many men; you know we have Johnston at
Bowling Green to look after."
 
"But General," answered Nelson, "the Tennessee and Cumberland must be
defended. In all probability the most of Johnston's army will be
transferred there."
 
"In that case, General," answered Buell, "I will remember you. Your
division shall be the first one sent."
 
"Thank you, General, thank you," replied Nelson. "I only wish I knew I
was going."
 
"As it is now," continued Buell, "I shall order General Crittenden to
send Cruft's brigade. That brigade is near the mouth of Green river.
There is no force of the enemy, in any number, before them, and the
brigade can well be spared. I shall send no more men unless it is
absolutely necessary. I shall at once dispatch an officer to General
Crittenden with necessary orders."
 
"General," now spoke up Fred, "like General Nelson, I have a request to
make, and by your kindness I hope to meet with better success."
 
"Ah!" said Buell, "you wish to carry the orders. If Nelson has no
objection, I think I can grant that request. The general has told me
something of your history, Mr. Shackelford. General Thomas also speaks
in the highest terms of you."
 
"You can go if you wish, Fred," answered Nelson. "I only hope I shall soon be with you."

댓글 없음: