2015년 7월 28일 화요일

General Nelson's Scout 24

General Nelson's Scout 24


"Listen to my story, Fred, and then despise me as a murderer if you
will. You saw how Captain Bascom treated me. No slave was ever treated
worse. My mother is a widow, residing in Tazewell county, Virginia. I am
an only son, but I have two lovely sisters. I was always headstrong,
liking my own way. Of course, I was humored and petted. When the war
broke out I was determined to enlist. My mother and sisters wept and
prayed, and at last I promised to wait. But about two months ago I was
down at Abingdon, and was asked to take a glass of wine. I think it was
drugged, for when I came to myself I found that I was an enlisted
soldier. Worse than all, I found that this man Bascom was an officer in
the company to which I belonged. Bascom is a low-lived, drunken brute.
He used to live in our neighborhood. Mother had him arrested for theft
and sent to jail. When he got out, he left the neighborhood, but swore
he would have revenge on every one of the name. He surely has had it on
me. I think he was in hopes that by brutal treatment he could make me
desert, so he could have me shot if captured. When he struck me the
other day, when I spoke to you, I resolved then and there to kill him."
 
"I know," replied Fred, in a low tone. "I saw it in your face."
 
"God only knows what I have suffered from the hands of that man during
the last two months. I have had provocation enough to kill him a
thousand times."
 
"I know, I know," replied Fred; "but to kill him in his sleep. I would
not have blamed you if you had shot him down when he gave you that blow.
I should have done so."
 
"It would have been best," sobbed Ferror, for the first time giving way
to his feelings. "Oh, mother, what will you think of your boy!" Then he
said, chokingly: "Fred, don't desert me, don't despise me; I can't bear
it. I believe if you turn from me now, I shall become one of the most
desperate of criminals."
 
"No, Ferror," said Fred; "I will neither desert nor judge you. You have
done something I had rather lose my life than do. But for the present
our fortunes are linked together. If we are captured, both will suffer
an ignominious death. Therefore, much as I abhor your act, I cannot
divorce myself from the consequences. Then let us resolve, come what
may, we will never be taken alive."
 
Ferror grasped Fred's hand, and pressing it fervently, replied: "If we
are captured, it will only be my dead body which will be taken, even if
I have to send a bullet through my own heart."
 
After this the boys said little, and silently waited for the light.
With the first gleam of the morning, they started on their way, thinking
only of getting as far as possible from the scene of that night of
horror.
 
As the sun arose, the mountains and then the valleys were flooded with
its golden light. At any other time the glorious landscape spread out
before them would have filled Fred's soul with delight; but as it was,
he only eagerly scanned the road which ran through the valley, hoping to
catch sight of Nelson's advancing columns. But no such sight greeted
him.
 
"They will surely come before long," said Fred. "By ten o'clock we
should be inside of the Federal lines and safe."
 
But if Fred had heard what was passing in the Rebel camp he would not
have been so sanguine.
 
Lieutenant Davis, officer of the guard, and Colonel Williams were in
close consultation.
 
"Colonel," said the lieutenant, "I do not believe the Yankees are
pursuing us. Those boys will take it for granted that we will continue
our retreat, and will soon come down off the mountains into the road.
Let me take a couple of companies of cavalry, and I will station men in
ambush along the road as far back as it is safe to go. In this way I
believe we stand a chance to catch them."
 
The colonel consented, and, therefore, before the sun had lighted up the
valley, pickets had been placed along the road for several miles back.
 
The boys trailed along the mountain side until nearly noon, but the
sides of the mountain were so seamed and gashed they made slow progress.
Gaining a high point, they looked towards Piketon, and in the far
distance saw an advancing column of cavalry. The sight filled them with
delight.
 
"There is nothing to be seen to the south," said Fred. "I think we can
descend to the road in safety." So they cautiously made their way down
to the road.
 
"Let us look well to our arms," said Fred. "We must be prepared for any
emergency."
 
So their revolvers were carefully examined, fresh caps put in, and every
precaution taken. They came out on the road close to a little valley
farm. In front of the cabin stood a couple of horses hitched. After
carefully looking at the horses, Ferror said: "Fred, one of those horses
belongs to Lieutenant Davis. He has ridden back to see if he could not
catch sight of us. Nelson's men will soon send him back flying."
 
Then a wild idea took possession of the boys. It was no less than to try
and get possession of the horses. Wouldn't it be grand to enter the
Federal lines in triumph, riding the horses of their would-be captors!
Without stopping to think of the danger, they at once acted on the idea.
 
From the cabin came sounds of laughter mingled with the music of women's
voices. The men inside were being pleasantly entertained.
 
Getting near the horses, the boys made a dash, were on their backs in a
twinkling, and with a yell of triumph were away. The astonished
officers rushed to the door, only to see them disappear down the road.
Then they raged like madmen, cursing their fortunes, and calling down
all sorts of anathemas on the boys.
 
"Never mind," at last said Sergeant Jones, who was the lieutenant's
companion in misfortune, "the squad down the road will catch them."
 
"Poor consolation for the disgrace of having our horses stolen," snapped
the lieutenant.
 
The elation of the boys came to a sudden ending. In the road ahead of
them stood a squad of four horsemen. Involuntarily the boys checked the
speed of their horses. They looked into each other's faces, they read
each other's thoughts.
 
"It can only be death," said Fred.
 
"It can only be death," echoed Ferror, "and I welcome it. I know, Fred,
you look on me as a murderer. I want to show you how I can die in a fair
fight."
 
Fred hardly realized what Ferror was saying; he was debating a plan of
attack.
 
"Ferror," he said, "let us ride leisurely forward until we get within
about fifty yards of them. No doubt they know the horses, and will be
nonplused as to who we are. When we are close we will charge. It will be
all over in a moment--safety or death."
 
Ferror nodded. He was as pale as his victims of the night before, but
his eyes blazed, his teeth were set hard, every muscle was strained.
 
Just as Fred turned to say, "Now!" Ferror shouted, "Good-bye, Fred,"
and dashed straight for the horsemen. The movement was so sudden it left
Fred slightly behind. The revolvers of the four Confederates blazed, but
like a thunderbolt Ferror was on them. The first man and horse went down
like a tenpin before the ball of the bowler; the second, and boy and man
and both horses went down in an indistinguishable mass together.
 
As for Fred, not for a second did he lose command of himself or his
horse. He saw what was coming, and swerved to the right. Here a single
Confederate confronted him. This man's attention had been attracted for
a moment to the fate of his comrades in the road, and before he knew it
Fred was on him. He raised his smoking revolver to fire, but Fred's
revolver spoke first, and the soldier reeled and fell from his saddle.
 
The road was now open for Fred to escape, but he wheeled his horse and
rode back to see what had become of his comrade. One Confederate still
sat on his horse unhurt. Seeing Fred, he raised his pistol and fired.
Fred felt his left arm grow numb, and then a sensation like that of hot
water running down the limb. Before the soldier could fire the second
time, a ball from Fred's pistol crashed through his brain, and he fell,
an inert mass, in the road. The fight was over.
 
Of the two Confederates overthrown in the wild charge of Ferror, one was
dead, the other was untouched by bullets, but lay groaning with a
broken leg and arm. Fred turned his attention to Ferror. He lay partly
under his horse, his eyes closed, his bosom stained with blood.
 
Fred raised his head. "Ferror! Ferror!" he cried, with burning tears.
 
[Illustration: Fred raised his Head, "Ferror! Ferror!" he cried.]
 
The boy opened his eyes and smiled. "It's all right, Fred--all right,"
he gasped. "That was no murder--that was a fair fight, wasn't it?"
 
"Oh, Ferror! Ferror!" moaned Fred. "You must not die."
 
"It is better as it is, Fred. I will not have that to think of."
 
He closed his eyes, and when he opened them again it was with a far-away
look. He tried to raise himself. "Yes, mother," he whispered, and then
his eyes closed forever.
 
The clatter of horses' hoofs, and the clang of sabers were now heard.
Fred looked up; a party of Federal cavalry was bearing down upon him.
They looked on the bloody scene in astonishment. A dashing young captain
rode up. Fred pointed to young Ferror's lifeless body, and said: "Bring
his body back to Piketon with you. He gave his life for me. I am one of
General Nelson's scouts."
 
Then everything grew black before him, and he knew no more. He had
fainted from the loss of blood.
 
The rough troopers bound up his arm, staunched the flow of blood, and
soon Fred was able to ride to Piketon. General Nelson received him with astonishment; yet he would not let him talk, but at once ordered him to the hospital. As for Robert Ferror, he was given a soldier's burial.

댓글 없음: