2015년 7월 28일 화요일

General Nelson's Scout 32

General Nelson's Scout 32


It was not the city that Fred saw in August. Then it was wild and
hilarious with joy, carried away with the pomp and glory of war.
Zollicoffer was the idol of the people of Tennessee; Bailie Peyton of
its young men. That both should fall in the same battle plunged
Nashville in deepest mourning.
 
When the bodies arrived, it was a city of tears. Flags floated at
half-mast; women walked the streets wringing their hands and weeping
bitter tears. Their idols lay dead. Poor Nashville! She was to drink
still deeper of the bitter cup of war.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XV.
 
A FIGHT WITH GUERRILLAS.
 
 
Back over the ten miles that they had marched through the darkness and
rain, the Confederate army fled in the wildest confusion. Swift in
pursuit came the victorious army of Thomas. Before night his cannon were
shelling the entrenchments at Beech Grove. There was no rest for the
hungry, weary, despondent Confederates. In the darkness of the night
they stole across the river, and then fled, a demoralized mob, leaving
everything but themselves in the hands of the victors.
 
The next morning an officer came to Fred and said one of the prisoners
would like to see him.
 
"One of the prisoners would like to see me," asked Fred, in surprise.
"What for?"
 
"I don't know," answered the officer. "But he is a plucky chap; it's the
young lieutenant who headed the last rally of the Rebs. He fought until
he was entirely deserted by his men and surrounded by us; he then tried
to cut his way out, but his horse was shot and he captured."
 
"Good heavens!" exclaimed Fred. "It must be Calhoun," and he rushed to
where the prisoners were confined.
 
"Calhoun!"
 
"Fred!"
 
And the boys were in each other's arms.
 
"Cal, you don't know how glad I am to see you," exclaimed Fred.
 
"Bonds and all?" answered Calhoun, with a dash of his old spirits.
 
"No," said Fred; "like St. Paul, I will say 'except these bonds.' But
Calhoun, I must have a good long talk with you in private."
 
"Not much privacy here, Fred," said Calhoun, looking around at the crowd
that was staring at them.
 
Fred went to General Thomas and told him that his cousin was among the
prisoners, and asked permission to take him to his quarters. The
permission was readily given, and the boys had the day and night to
themselves.
 
How they did talk, and how much they had to tell each other! First Fred
had to tell Calhoun all about himself.
 
When he had finished Calhoun grasped his hand and exclaimed: "Fred, I am
proud of you, if you are fighting with the Yanks. How I would like to
ride by your side! But of all your adventures, the one with poor Robert
Ferror touches me deepest. Poor fellow! he should have lived. He must
have had a great deal of pure gold about him, notwithstanding his
cowardly crime."
 
"He did," sighed Fred, "he did; and yet I can never think of the
assassination of Captain Bascom without a shudder. On the other hand, I
can never think of Ferror's death without tears. As I think of him now,
I am of the opinion that the indignities heaped upon him had, in a
measure, unbalanced his mind, and that the killing of Bascom was the act
of an insane person. But, Cal, I hate to talk about it; that night of
horrors always gives me the shivers. So tell me all about yourself."
 
"There is not much to tell," answered Calhoun. "You know I left Danville
with your father for Bowling Green. Owing to the influence of my father,
I was commissioned a second lieutenant and given a place on the staff of
Governor Johnson. You know a provisional State government was organized
at Bowling Green, and G. M. Johnson appointed Governor. When General
Buckner tried to capture Louisville by surprise, and you objected by
throwing the train off the track, I was one of the victims of the
outrage. I recognized you, just as your father ordered the volley
fired."
 
"My father!" gasped Fred. "My father! did he order that volley fired at
me?"
 
"Yes; but he did not know it was you when he gave the order. When I
called out it was you, he nearly fainted, and would have fallen if one
of his officers had not caught him. He wanted to resign then and there,
but General Buckner would not hear of it. Really, Fred, I think he would
have ordered that volley even if he had known you; but if you had been
killed, he would have killed himself afterward."
 
"Poor father!" sighed Fred. "He loves me even if he has disowned me."
 
"Well," continued Calhoun, "to make a long story short, I became
prodigiously jealous of you. You were covering yourself with glory while
I was sitting around doing nothing. It was awful dull at Bowling Green.
As Zollicoffer appeared to be the only one of the Confederate generals
who was at all active, I asked and received permission to join him,
where I was given a roving commission as a scout. If I do say it, I made
it rather lively for you fellows. At length I hit upon a nice little
plan of capturing your pickets, and was quite successful until you found
it out and put an end to my fun."
 
"Calhoun," exclaimed Fred, in surprise, "was it you with whom I had that
night fight?"
 
"It was, and you came near making an end of your hopeful cousin, I can
tell you. Out of seven men, I had two killed and four wounded. Only one
man and myself escaped unhurt, and I had three bullet holes through my
clothes. That put an end to my raids upon your pickets, and I confined
myself to scouting once more. Then came that unlucky fight with you in
the woods. Fred, I must congratulate you on the way you managed that.
Your retreat showed me your exact strength, and I thought I could wipe
you off the face of the earth. Your sudden wheel and charge took us
completely by surprise, and disconcerted my men. That shot which cut my
bridle rein took me out of the fight, and perhaps it was just as well
for me that it did. When I came to and found out what had been done, I
at once knew you must have been in command of the squad, and if I could
I would have hugged you for your generosity."
 
"Cal," replied Fred, his voice trembling with emotion, "you can hardly
realize my feelings when I saw you lying pale and senseless there before
me; it took all the fight out of me."
 
"I know, I know," answered Calhoun, laying his hand caressingly on
Fred's shoulder. "I was badly shaken up by that fall, but not seriously
hurt. Now, comes the most dangerous of my adventures. When I met you in
the road, I----"
 
"Stop!" broke in Fred, "not another word. Of course you were on one of
your scouting expeditions."
 
A curious look came over Calhoun's face, and then he said, in a low
voice: "You are right, Fred; I was on one of my scouting expeditions,"
and he shuddered slightly.
 
"Fred," suddenly asked Calhoun, "is there any possible way for me to
keep from going to prison?"
 
"Sometimes prisoners give their parole," answered Fred. "I will see what
can be done."
 
The next morning General Thomas sent for Fred, and said that he was
about to send some dispatches to General Buell at Louisville. "And,"
continued he, "owing to your splendid conduct and the value of the
services you have rendered, I have selected you as the messenger. Then,
in all probability, it will be very quiet in my front for some time,
and General Nelson may have more active work for you. You know," he
concluded with a smile, "I only have the loan of you."
 
Fred heartily thanked the general for the honor bestowed, and then said:
"General, I have a great boon to ask."
 
"What is it?" asked the general, kindly. "If possible I will grant it."
 
"You know my cousin is here a prisoner. He is more like a brother than a
cousin--the only brother I ever knew. The boon I ask is that you grant
him a parole."
 
"Bring him here," said the general.
 
Calhoun was sent for, and soon stood in the presence of the general.
 
"An officer, I see," said the general, as he glanced Calhoun over.
 
"Yes, sir; Lieutenant Calhoun Pennington of Governor Johnson's staff,"
answered Calhoun, with dignity.
 
"What were you doing up here if you are one of Johnson's staff?" asked
the general.
 
"I was here on special duty."
 
"Lieutenant, your cousin has asked as a special favor that you be
granted a parole. He says that you reside in Danville, and as he is
going to Louisville, he would like to have you accompany him as far as
your home."
 
"General," answered Calhoun, "you would place me under a thousand
obligations if you would grant me a parole; but only on one condition,
and that is that you effect my exchange as quickly as possible."
 
The general smiled. "I see," said he, "that you and Shackelford are
alike; never satisfied unless you are in the thickest of the fray. I
think I can satisfy you."
 
The parole was made out, and Fred and Calhoun made preparations to start
for Danville. Never did two boys enjoy a ride more than they did.
 
In spite of bad roads and bad weather, the exuberance of their spirits
knew no bounds. They were playmates again, without a word of difference
between them. As far as they were concerned, the clouds of war had
lifted, and they basked in the sunlight of peace.
 
"I say, Fred," remarked Calhoun, "this is something like it; seems like
old times. Why did this war have to come and separate us?" Fred sighed. "The war, Calhoun," he answered, "has laid a heavier hand on me than on you, for it has made me an outcast from home."

댓글 없음: