2015년 7월 28일 화요일

General Nelson's Scout 7

General Nelson's Scout 7


Chief among those exciting the people was Tompkins, the head of the
"Knights of the Golden Circle." He raged through the streets, defying
all authority. Fred looked on the growing excitement with the blood
swiftly coursing through his veins. His eyes blazed with fury when he
saw the stars and stripes trailed in the dust of the street. He trembled
with suppressed rage when he saw Union men reviled, insulted.
 
"It is true," he said, bitterly, to himself, "that Union men are
cowards, miserable cowards, or they would resent these insults." But
Fred was mistaken; braver men never lived than the Union men of
Louisville, who endured the taunts and insults of that day, rather than
provoke a conflict, the end of which no man could tell.
 
After a time Fred found himself on a residence street where there was a
break in the mob, and the street was comparatively quiet. During this
quiet a young lady came out of a house, and hurriedly passed down the
street. Suddenly a fragment of the mob drifted through the street, and
she was caught in the vortex. On her bosom was pinned a small Union
flag. A burly ruffian in the mob espied it, and rushing up to her,
shouted: "Off with that dirty rag, you she-Lincolnite!"
 
"Never," she exclaimed, with a pale face but flashing eye.
 
"Then I will take it," he exclaimed, with a coarse oath, and snatched at
the flag so roughly as to tear her dress, exposing her pure white bosom
to the gaze of the brutal mob.
 
There was a howl of delight, and the wretch made bolder, cried: "Now for
a kiss, my beauty," and attempted to catch her in his smutty arms. But
the avenger was at hand. Fred had seen the outrage, and picking up a
brick that happened to lie loose on the pavement, he sprang forward and
dealt the ruffian such a blow on the side of the head that he fell like
a log, striking the pavement with such force that the blood gushed from
his nose and mouth.
 
[Illustration: He dealt the Ruffian such a Blow that he fell like a
log.]
 
"Kill the young devil of a Lincolnite!" was the cry, and the crowd
surged towards Fred. But those in advance drew back, for they looked
into the muzzle of a revolver held by a hand that did not tremble, and
gazed into young eyes that did not waver.
 
"The first man that attempts to touch her or me, dies," said Fred, in a
clear, firm voice. The mob shrank back; then a fierce cry arose of "Kill
him! kill him!"
 
"Take the young lady to a place of safety," said a low voice by Fred's
side; then to the mob, "Back! back! or come on at your peril."
 
Fred looked, and by his side stood a stalwart policeman, a glistening
revolver in his hand. Near him stood other determined men, ready to
assist.
 
"Come," said Fred, taking the young lady's arm, and the two quickly made
their way out of the mob, which, balked of its prey, howled in futile
rage.
 
"I live here," said the young lady, stopping before a palatial
residence. "My name is Mabel Vaughn. You must come in and let my mother
thank you. How brave you were, and Policeman Green, too. How can I thank
you both enough for what you did!"
 
"You must excuse me now," replied Fred, politely raising his hat; "but
to-morrow, if possible, I will call, and see if you have experienced any
ill effects from the rough treatment you have received. But I must go
now, for I may be of some further use," and with a bow, Fred was gone.
 
"If he were only older, I would have a mind to throw Bob overboard,"
said the young lady to herself, as she entered the house.
 
Going back to the scene of his adventure, Fred found that a great crowd
had gathered around the place where he had knocked the ruffian down.
 
"What is this?" yelled Tompkins, coming up at the head of a multitude of
followers.
 
"Shure," cried an Irish voice, "Big Jim is kilt intoirely, intoirely."
 
"Who did it?" demanded Tompkins, with an oath. No one knew. By this time
Big Jim, with the aid of two companions, had staggered to his feet, and
was looking around in a dazed condition.
 
"He will come around all right," said Tompkins. "To the City Hall, boys.
Down with the rag floating there! Down with the city officials; let's
throw them into the Ohio," and with frightful cries, the mob started for
the city hall.
 
But the brave, loyal policeman, G. A. Green, the one who had assisted
Fred, was before them. "Stop," he cried, "the first man who tries to
enter this building dies."
 
With a curse, Tompkins rushed on with the cry, "Down with the
Lincolnites!"
 
There was the sharp crack of a revolver, and Tompkins staggered and fell
dead. His followers stood dumfounded. Before they could rally there
stood around the brave policeman a company of armed men. This was not
all; as if by magic, armed Home Guards appeared everywhere. The mob
stood amazed. Then a prominent officer of the Home Guard came forward
and said:
 
"We do not wish to shed more blood, but the first blow struck at the
city government, and these streets will run red with the blood of
Secessionists. We are fully prepared."
 
Cowed, muttering, cursing, the mob began to melt away. The crisis was
passed. The sun went down on one of the most exciting days Louisville
ever saw--a day that those who were there will never forget.
 
The city was saved to the Union, and never afterward was it in grave
danger.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER IV.
 
THE TRIP TO NASHVILLE.
 
 
"Quite an adventure," said Mrs. Spear, to whom Fred had been relating
his experience. "I am proud of you. Why, you are a regular hero."
 
"Hardly that," replied Fred, blushing.
 
"I am so glad it has ended well," continued Mrs. Spear; "you ran a
terrible danger, and I should never have forgiven myself for letting you
go out, if any evil had befallen you."
 
"I should never have forgiven myself if I had not been there to protect
that brave young lady," answered Fred, firmly.
 
"Of course, a true knight must protect a fair lady," said Mrs. Spear.
"And you were fortunate, Sir Knight, for Mabel Vaughn is one of the
fairest of Louisville's daughters. It was just like her to brave any
danger rather than conceal her colors. She is loyal to the core."
 
"She seems to be a very nice young lady," replied Fred, "and she is
extremely pretty, too."
 
"What a pity you are not older," said Mrs. Spear, "so you could fall in
love with each other and get married, just as they do in well-regulated
novels."
 
"How do you know that I am not in love with her now?" answered Fred, his
eyes sparkling with merriment; "and as for my youth, I will grow."
 
"Oh! in that case, I am really sorry," replied Mrs. Spear, "for I think
she is spoken for."
 
Fred assumed a tragic air, and said in bloodcurdling tones: "Where was
the recreant lover that he did not protect her? Never shall my good
sword rest until it drinks his craven blood."
 
Mrs. Spear laughed until she cried. "You will call on your lady love
before you return?" she queried.
 
"Most assuredly, and it must be an early morning call, for I leave for
home at ten o'clock."
 
The warmth of welcome given Fred by the Vaughns surprised him, and, to
his astonishment, he found himself a hero in their eyes.
 
Miss Mabel Vaughn was a most charming young lady of eighteen, and when
she grasped Fred's hand, and, with tears in her eyes, poured out her
thanks, he felt a curious sensation about his heart, and as he looked
into her beautiful face, he could not help echoing the wish of Mrs.
Spear, "Oh, that I were older."
 
But this fancy received a rude shock when a fine looking young man,
introduced as Mr. Robert Marsden, grasped his hand, and thanked him for
what he had done for his betrothed.
 
"And to think," said Marsden, "that Mabel was in danger, and that you,
instead of me, protected her, makes me insanely envious of you."
 
"As for that, Bob," archly said Miss Mabel, "I am glad you were not
there. I dare say Mr. Shackelford did far better than you would have
done."
 
Marsden flushed and said nothing. Seeing he looked hurt, Miss Vaughn
continued: "I mean you would have been so rash you might have been
killed."
 
"Which would have been far worse than if I had been killed," said Fred,
meekly.
 
"Oh! I didn't mean that, I didn't mean that!" cried Miss Vaughn,
bursting into tears.
 
"Which means I ought to be kicked for uttering a silly joke," answered
Fred, greatly distressed. "Please, Miss Vaughn, let us change the
subject. How did you happen to be on the street?"
 
"I had been calling on a sick friend a few doors away, and I thought I
could reach home in safety during the few moments of quiet. My friend
wanted me to remove the little flag from the bosom of my dress before I
ventured out, but I refused, saying, 'I would never conceal my colors,'
and I was caught in the mob, as you saw."
 
"And I shall consider it the happiest day of my life I was there,"
gallantly answered Fred. "And we must not forget the brave policeman."
 
"That I will not," replied Miss Vaughn.
 
"There is one good thing it has brought about, anyway," said Marsden.
"Mabel has at length consented that I shall enter the army. She would
never give her consent before. I shall wear this little flag that she
wore yesterday on my breast, and it will ever be an incentive to deeds
of glory, and it shall never be disgraced," and the young man's eyes kindled as he said it.

댓글 없음: