2016년 8월 1일 월요일

The Boston Dip 4

The Boston Dip 4


Enter_ IDA, R., _hurriedly_.
 
_Ida._ O, quick, quick, Eva! I’ve got you such a partner! He’s all
impatience. Quick! the music is just about to commence. I wouldn’t have
you lose him for the world.
 
_Eva._ But Ida
 
_Ida._ Don’t stop to talk. Come quick! quick! (_Drags her off_, R.)
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). Ha, ha! Dip’s left on the brink again.
 
_Dasher_ (_jumping up_). Confound that girl! I’ve lost the chance. This
comes of making a long story about a very short question. The precipice
was a failure. I’ll go and pump the friend of the family. (_Exit_, C.
MULLIGRUB _comes from screen_.)
 
_Mulligrub._ That can’t be Dip, after all. He’s after Eva. But he can’t
have her. Thanks to his confidential assurance, I can send him over the
precipice into the valley of disappointed hopes in short order.
 
_Enter_ KIDS, C.
 
_Kids._ Now weally, I saw Miss Ida enter this woom, positively saw her,
and now she’s gone. Hallo! an intrudaw. Sir, I have not the honow of
your acquaintance. This woom is the wesort, the westing-place of a bevy
of divine goddesses. No masculine mortals are allowed to entaw here.
 
_Mulligrub._ Show! then you are not a masculine mortal, I take it.
 
_Kids._ Sir, you are impertinent. I amI am a particular fwiend of the
lady who is the lawful possessor of this wesort.
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). Can this be Dip? (_Aloud._) Sir, I am a
particular friend of the lady in question, being the brother of her
husband’s brother.
 
_Kids._ Weally, the bwover of her husband’s bwover. Pon honow, that’s a
sort of cwoss-eyed welation.
 
_Mulligrub._ What do you mean by that? Do you doubt my right to be here?
 
_Kids._ Hey? wight?no, no. (_Aside._) He must be a witch welation.
(_Aloud._) Do you know Mr. Mulligwub?
 
_Mulligrub._ Intimately.
 
_Kids._ I say, would it be a good inwestment to wun away with a membaw
of his family?
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). It must be Dip. Shall I mash him? No, no, the
proof first. (_Aloud._) Splendid! Can I help you?
 
_Kids._ Well, I don’t know. He’s a wough specimen, and he so vulgaw.
Sold fish in a handcart, too. I detest fish, it’s on such a low scale.
Now isn’t that good? It’s owiginal, too. I don’t like the odaw. Dreadful
low people, but then, there’s lots of money. Yaas, I think I will
sacwafice myself.
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). I’ll sacrifice you, you monkey. (_Aloud._) But
tell me, who is the favored member of the family?
 
_Kids._ Hush! somebody’s coming. You must wetire.
 
_Mulligrub._ What, and lose the fun? No, I thank you.
 
_Kids._ You must, weally. The lady is coming. It would shock her
delicate nerves were you to be pwesent at the interview. So go, that’s a
dear fellah. (_Pushes him back_, C.)
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). He calls me a good fellah. Shall I fell him on
the spot? No, I’ll wait; vengeance can afford to wait.
 
_Kids._ Do wetire, and, when it’s all ovaw, I will call you. (_Pushes
him back_, C.) Good fellah.
 
_Mulligrub._ You’ll call me when it’s all over. (_Aside._) I’ll be on
hand while it’s going on.
 
[_Exit_, C.
 
_Kids._ There, the bwover of the husband’s bwover is excluded from the
apartment of the wife of the bwover’s husbandno, that ain’t it, it’s
the bwover’s wife’s husbandno, or(_Mulligrub enters_, C., _and gets
behind screen_.) Here she comes, lovely as a poppy, because she’s got a
rich poppy. That’s goodowiginal, too.
 
_Enter_ IDA, R.
 
_Ida._ Here I am, Mr. Kids, to fulfill my promise.
 
_Kids._ Yaas, Miss Ida, like the bounding fawn thatthatweally, I
forget what the bounding fawn was doingO, weally, bounding, of course.
That’s very goodisn’t it?owiginal, too. But where was the bounding
fawn bound? that’s the question.
 
_Ida._ I wish I could answer your question, but, not being versed in
natural history, I am unable to say.
 
_Kids._ Weally. Well, never mind the fawn. Listen, O, listen! I’m a
miserable wetch, I am.
 
_Ida._ Miserable? you?
 
_Kids_. Yaas, weally. I’m standingI’m standing,where am I standing?O,
on the bwink of a howid pwecipice.
 
_Mulligrub_ (_sticking his head above screen_). Hallo! another brink,
another precipice, andIda, as I live.
 
_Ida._ La, Mr. Kids, what a dangerous position.
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). Kids; then it’s not Dip, that’s certain.
 
_Kids._ O, dweadful, dweadful. But you can save me.
 
_Ida._ How, Mr. Kids?
 
_Kids._ That’s the ideah, Miss Ida; for when a fellah is on the bwink of
such a pwecipice, as the pwecipice I am on the bwink of, the best way to
save him is to push him ovaw.
 
_Ida._ Well, that’s certainly an original idea.
 
_Kids._ Yaas, it is an owiginal, ideamine, tooI found it in my bwain,
with the help of the diwectory. When a fellah’s on the bwink of
matwimony, of course his safety and his happiness is secured by his
being pushed into it. You see my ideah.
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). Deuced clumsy one.
 
_Ida._ But how can I help you?
 
_Kids._ By pushing me ovaw. Miss Ida, you are bewitching, you are
lovely, you are divine, and on my knees I ask you (_falls on his knees_
L. _of_ IDA) to give me a push.
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). Confounded jackass.
 
_Ida._ But, Mr. Kids, I don’t understand. You’re soso(_Aside._) Where
can Eva be? (_Aloud._) You say you are on the brink of a precipice.
 
_Kids._ Howid, howid; and if you consent to be
 
_Enter_ EVA, R.
 
_Eva._ Quick, quick, Ida! mother’s fainted.
 
_Ida._ You don’t mean it?
 
_Eva._ Yes, yes, come quick! What are you waiting for?
 
_Ida._ But Mr. Kids is on the brink of a precipice.
 
_Eva._ Let him stay there. Come with me. (_Drags_ EVA _off_, R.)
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). Won’t somebody be kind enough to remove that
precipice?
 
_Kids_ (_rising_). Yaas, weally, that owiginal ideah will kill me, I
know it will. I must go and bathe my head in Cologne, I must weally.
Miss Ida didn’t push well; in fact, I don’t believe she’s fond of
pushing fellah’s ovaw, I don’t, weally.
 
[_Exit_, C.
 
_Mulligrub_ (_comes from behind screen_). I don’t think that’s DipI
don’t, weally. Egad! those girls of mine are determined not to be caught
by chaff. I wonder if I can say as much for the old lady. I wish she
would make her appearance. This must be the room. Ah, here she comes.
Now for something interesting. (_Runs behind screen._)
 
_Enter_ MRS. MULLIGRUB, R.
 
_Mrs. M._ The fiddlers are tuning up for a waltz, and if Munseer Adonis
is to keep his word now is the time. I wonder what Moses would say if he
knew what I was about. But he can’t know. He’s safe at home, and there’s
certainly no harm in obtaining a graceful _inquisition_ to my other
accomplishments. (_Music, Beautiful Blue Danube, soft and low._) There
they go. O, isn’t that splendid. (_Waltzes about stage in a very awkward
manner._)
 
_Mulligrub_ (_with head above screen_). What’s the matter with Hannah?
She’s bobbing about the room like a turkey with’s its head off.
 
_Enter_ MONSIEUR ADONIS, R.
 
_Mons. A._ _Charmant, charmant!_ (_Music stops._) Madam, you are ze
ecstasy of motion. You have ze grace of ze antelope, and ze step of ze
fairy.
 
_Mrs. M._ O, don’t! You have come
 
_Mons. A._ Wiz ze “Boston Dip,” as I have promise.
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). “Boston Dip.” That’s himthe scoundrel!
 
_Mrs. M._ O, I’m so nervous.
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). You ought to be, you hypocrite.
 
_Mons. M._ Zar is not ze least occasion. We are here alone.
 
_Mulligrub_ (_aside_). Not quite, Dip, not quite.
 
_Mons. A._ No one will dare to enter here. Zar is none to look at you
but I, and am I not discretion itself, madam?
 
_Mrs. M._ O, you are the soul of honor.

댓글 없음: