2015년 7월 23일 목요일

God's Playthings 1

God's Playthings 1



God's Playthings
Author: Marjorie Bowen
CONTENTS PAGE
 
I. THE KING’S SON 1
 
II. A BIOGRAPHY 23
 
III. A POOR SPANISH LODGING 35
 
IV. DEFEAT 59
 
V. TWILIGHT 80
 
VI. THE CAMP OUTSIDE NAMUR 93
 
VII. THE POLANDER 113
 
VIII. THE EXTRAORDINARY STORY OF GRACE ENDICOTT 135
 
IX. THE CUP OF CHICORY WATER 153
 
X. THE BURNING OF THE VANITIES 180
 
XI. A WOMAN OF THE PEOPLE 202
 
XII. THE ARISTOCRAT 225
 
XIII. THE BETROTHED OF PEDRO EL JUSTICAR 249
 
XIV. THE MACEDONIAN GROOM 260
 
XV. THE PRISONER 273
 
XVI. THE YELLOW INTAGLIO 301
 
 
 
 
GOD’S PLAYTHINGS
 
 
 
 
THE KING’S SON
 
“This letter has given rise to various
conjectures.”_Dalrymple’s Memoirs._
 
 
_From Ringwood, the 9th of July, 1685._
 
MY LORD,
 
Having had some proof of your kindness when I was last
at Whitehall, makes me hope now that you will not refuse
interceding for me with the King, being I know, though too
late, how I have been misled; were I not clearly convinced of
that, I would rather die a thousand deaths than say what I do.
I writ yesterday to the King, and the chief business of my
letter was to desire to speak to him, _for I have that to say
to him that I am sure will set him at quiet for ever_. I am
sure the whole study of my life shall hereafter be how to serve
him; and _I am sure that which I can do is worth more than
taking my life away_; and I am confident, if I may be so happy
to speak to him, he will himself be convinced of it, _being I
can give him such infallible proof of my truth to him that,
though I would alter, it would not be in my power to do it_.
This which I have now said, I hope will be enough to encourage
your lordship to show me your favour, which I do earnestly
desire of you and hope that you have so much generosity as not
to refuse it. I hope, my lord, and I make no doubt of it, that
you will not have cause to repent having saved my life, which
I am sure you can do a great deal in if you please; being it
obliges me to be entirely yours, which I shall ever be, as long
as I have life.
 
MONMOUTH.
 
_For the Earl of Rochester, Lord High Treasurer of England._
 
Knowing that I had been involved in the miserable final adventure of
that unhappy Prince, James Scot, Duke of Monmouth, and even been with
him in that last Council in Bridgewater, my lord Rochester showed me
this letter with a kind of languid malice, and even had the indecency
to smile at it and address to me a remark slighting to the unfortunate
writer of that desperate appeal.
 
“For,” said he, “had Monmouth a secret to reveal, though ever so base
a one, he had disclosed it to save his lifeand since he disclosed
nothing ’tis proof plain this was but a fool’s trick to catch mercy.”
 
He said no more, but I was minded to tell what I knew that I might do
justice to the memory of one wronged and wretched; yet the impulse
was but passing, for I knew that the secret his dead Grace had never
discovered was one which for pity’s sake I must be silent on; and well
I was aware also that what I could say would awaken no understanding in
the cold heart of Lawrence Hyde. My Lord’s Grace of Monmouth has been
dead ten years, and in the potent and huge events that have changed
Europe since, he has been forgotten by all but some of those poor souls
in the West who called him King. But I, who joined fortunes with him in
his reckless enterprise, hold often in my thoughts him whose fate is
now reckoned but a trifle in the history of nations. Both in the exile
that followed Sedgemoor and the years in England under His present
Protestant Majesty have I considered silently the tragic mystery of
this young man whose life was useless pleasure and whose death was
bitter anguish.
 
It hath a curious sound that I, once penman to his Grace, should now be
secretary to the Earl of Rochester; I gave my master this reflection,
and he laughed in his indolent fashion and answered that ten years
had accomplished the work of a hundred, and that the rebellion in
the West was ancient history. Yet when he had left me to my work I
copied this same letter (written in a quick hand with the agony of the
author showing in that forceful entreaty to one who had never been his
friend), and I brought the copy home with me and now must write under
it the explanation like the key to a cipher. Not to show any, but
rather to bury or destroy; not to betray the secret of the dead, but to
ease mine own heart of one scene which has haunted me these long ten
years.
 
It hath a turn of folly to write what will never be read, but the
impulse driving me is stronger than reason, and so I make confession of
what I know while holding my faith inviolate.
 
At the time of the capture of my lord in ’85, the indecent cruelty of
the then King in seeing one whom he had resolved to be bitterly avenged
on, and in commanding to be published an account of those agonies he
should have been most sedulous to veil, was much commented upon, and
first gave his people the impression of that ill-judging severity of
character and stern harshness of temper they soon found unendurably
galling.
 
It was well known too at that time, that my lord had obtained that
interview with the King by reason of the desperate letter he wrote, of
the same trend as the epistle he sent to my lord Rochester, declaring
he had somewhat of such importance to reveal that it should put the
King’s mind at rest for ever concerning him. Various were the rumours
abroad concerning this secret and what it might be, and as it was
known from the King’s lips that his Grace had revealed nothing, many
supposed, as my lord Rochester, that it was but a feint to obtain an
audience of his Majesty; yet how any could read those letters and not
see they were inspired by the bitter truth, I know not. Some believed
that it was that his Grace had been urged to his fatal undertaking by
His present Majesty, then Stadtholder of the United Provinces, and
that he had about him letters from that Prince’s favourite, Monsieur
Bentinck.
 
Yet all evidence was against this, and the Duke himself appealed to the
Stadtholder to bear witness that he had no designs against England when
he left The Hague, but intended for Hungary (for which purpose, indeed,
the Prince equipped him) and had since been misled by the restless
spirit of the Earl of Argyll and other malcontents whom he met, to his
undoing, in Brussels.
 
More believed that the disclosure related to that subtle designing
minister, the Earl of Sunderland, who was deep in the councils of
the King’s enemies, yet held his Majesty in such a fascination that
no breath against him was credited, even at the last, when he ruined
the King easily with a graceful dexterity that deceived even Monsieur
Barillon, who is esteemed for his astuteness.
 
Yet what reason had my lord Sunderland, intent on far larger schemes,
to lure my lord Monmouth into a disastrous expedition, and what object
had his Grace in keeping a final silence about such treachery?
 
Nor would the revelation of the falsehood of his Majesty’s minister or
the discovery of the dissimulation of his Majesty’s nephew be such a
secret as his Grace indicated in his letter“for I have that to say to
him which I am sure will set him at quiet for ever”whereas either of
these communications would rather have set King and Kingdom at great
trouble and dis-ease.
 
No one came near the truth in their guesses, and after a while no
one troubled, and truly it is an empty matter now; still, one that
containeth a centre of such tragic interest that for me the wonder and
pity of it never dieth.
 
To bring myself back to the events of that fatal year (the recollection
groweth as I write), it shall here be noted that I was witness of the
great and bitter reluctance of my lord to lead this rebellion.

댓글 없음: