2015년 7월 27일 월요일

My Escape from Germany 24

My Escape from Germany 24


It took me less than ten minutes to find the path. The groping about in
the darkness of the wood had taken my mind off the real issue. Now, on
my way back, I had to face the ugly situation we were in.
 
I had not enough medical knowledge to gage the insignificance of the
accelerated heart action, and thus almost feared the worst. If only he
could be sick! Perhaps he was going to die on my hands! If he lived
through the night, could I hope that his strength would return to him
on the morrow and allow us to proceed?
 
One thing was out of the question: I could not leave him alone, even if
he was out of danger and in shelter, for we were both fully persuaded
that, in the event of capture, we should be sent to a penal prison. But
what was to be done? Wallace could not lie out in the cold the rest of
the night and all the next day. The only shelter reasonably near was
the barn, which we had passed some time before. We should have to go
back to it. We had to reach it, even if I had to carry him.
 
The snow, which had come on again, was whispering in the trees when I
entered among them, groping in the thick darkness for his recumbent
form. It sifted straight down through the still air, while the wind
shrieked and roared overhead. He called feebly when I came close to him
in my blind search.
 
“Well, how goes it?” I inquired, with seeming cheerfulness.
 
“I think I’m better.” This through chattering teeth. “But I’m
aw-aw-awfully cold.”
 
“Get up. I’ll help you.”
 
“I-I-I don’t want to.”
 
“But you can’t stay here,” I protested. “You’d be frozen stiff before
morning. We’ve got to get back to that barn we passed.”
 
“A-a-aren’t you going to lie down, too? We might keep each other warm.”
 
“No, I’m not,” very emphatically. “Get up, d’you hear, get up!”
 
Partly by sheer force I got him out of the thing we had bought for a
sleeping-bag. Already the wet had penetrated in places. While Wallace
stood leaning against a tree, I groped round for our knapsacks.
 
Carrying the double burden, which privilege cost me another struggle
with Wallace, I led back over the ground which we had covered on our
way up, my friend lurching drunkenly by my side. Then he fell and lay
in a faint, but recovered quickly. After I had got him on his feet
again, I kept his arm, supporting him as much as I could. Every few
hundred steps or so he half collapsed, his knees doubling under him.
When this happened I let him slide to the ground, thus to get some rest.
 
I do not know how often this had occurred when I noticed something
wrong about the road. The clearing on the left, with stumps standing
black against white snow patches--surely I could not have twice missed
noticing it! The ground, too, fell rather sharply. “Traveling toward
the Wesel road!” I thought. “I remember no villages there, if I
recollect the map.”
 
Wallace had been sitting on the ground all this time. I helped him to
his feet and urged him on: “We’ve got to be traveling! Up hill now!
Awfully sorry, old chap, but I missed the road.”
 
Three rests, and the old track was under our feet. Three more, and we
were drawing near to the little settlement.
 
“It’ll not be very long now, old man; cheer up!” I said encouragingly.
 
“Mus’ get into warmth. Knock first house come to. Can’t stick it,”
Wallace muttered in reply.
 
“Try to make that barn, won’t you? It’s close by.”
 
We came abreast of a house with a light in the passage, which showed
dimly through some panes of glass above the front door. The time must
have been about 2:30 A.M.
 
Wallace stopped and peered at it. “Is that a house?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Knock!” and with a contented sigh he slid to the ground.
 
I was not prepared to give up so soon. That is what his command meant,
as it appeared to me. My pal moved and struggled into a sitting
position.
 
“Knock!” he repeated.
 
I knocked. No answer. I knocked again, but less determined. The same
result. The third time my knuckles met the wood with a nice regard for
the sleepers inside. I did not intend them to hear me; it was only for
Wallace’s satisfaction that I went through this performance.
 
“They don’t hear,” I announced, having gone back to my companion. “Come
on, make another effort. Let’s get to the barn. It’s only a few more
steps,” I urged.
 
“Did you knock?” he asked suspiciously.
 
“Yes, three times!” I replied, with veracious if somewhat misleading
detail, and I dragged him up and on.
 
At last we reached it. Wallace was soon resting in the same place as
he did hours before, while I went to get a ladder. Three of them were
wedged in on one side between a wheel of the wagon and a support of the
barn, and by the compressed straw on the other. I tore, and heaved, and
struggled with berserk rage until I got one out, the sweat pouring from
underneath my hat brim. It was an enormously clumsy affair, and trying
to rear it against the barn and into the door opening off the loft, I
failed again and again by an inch or two. After a brief rest I went at
it again. The last inch seemed unattainable. Another effort! Suddenly
it leaped right up and into position. Turning in surprise, I saw my
friend standing behind me. His little strength had been added to mine
just at the right moment.
 
“I’ll go up first and have a look!” I told him. The rear of the loft
was four feet deep in clean-smelling straw. Thank God for that! We
should be warm!
 
“Up you go!” I was on the ground again to help Wallace up the ladder.
He managed to ascend it, and then pitched forward. I let him lie and
fetched our knapsacks. The ladder I left in position for the time
being. If a few hours’ rest would improve my friend to such an extent
that it became feasible to “carry on” during the following night, I
intended to drag it up after us, and hide it at the rear of the barn,
where I proposed to conceal ourselves. It would not be missed on a
Sunday.
 
A hearty heave and shove sent Wallace sprawling on the straw. Soon I
had a hollow dug for him, into which he crawled, and I covered him as
best I could. Then I flung myself down by his side, too fagged to care
for overcoat or covering.
 
Fighting against the drowsiness which immediately stole over me, I
must have fallen asleep for a short spell, for I felt suddenly very
cold. Too tired to move immediately, I lay shivering, listening to the
dying wind and the faint beating of snow against the thin walls and
the roof of our shelter. When the cold became intolerable, I crawled
with stiff joints into the corner where I had flung our knapsacks, got
my overcoat out, and put it on. The exercise cleared my dulled brain,
and I perceived that I had better look after Wallace. His teeth were
chattering when I bent over him. As well as I could, I got him warmer
after a time. I now kept wide awake, trying to piece together what was
left of our hopes.
 
I did not anticipate hearing any one stirring in the few houses around
until late daylight, and dully wondered at the sound of voices which
penetrated to our hiding-place, hours before some chinks in the roof
showed faintly gray. We could not see the door from where we rested.
 
With an effort I turned to Wallace. “Are you awake?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Do you feel you’ve got to get into warmth?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“That means going to a farm and meeting people!”
 
“Yes.”
 
Poor Wallace! His voice sounded so flat and tired! I have often
wondered since whether I ought not to have made another effort to keep
him where he was, and to proceed with him the next night. He might
have stood it. I don’t think he quite realized what it meant getting
into shelter. I believed at the time that he did. However, I acted
according to my lights, without another word.
 
Sliding from the straw I approached the door, to stop in wonder for a
moment before going down the ladder. Long icicles had grown from the
upper edge of the opening almost to the floor of the loft in the few
hours we had been inside, and between them the cold light of a winter
morning, strongly reflected by a white, unbroken surface, met my eyes.
It was eight o’clock by my watch. The icicles snapped with a glassy
sound and fell noiselessly outside when I broke through their curtain.
 
Beyond it the world was white,--the ground, as far as I could see it; the air, thick with dancing flakes; and the sky. What mattered it now whether we stayed in the loft or sought the shelter of a farm?

댓글 없음: