2015년 7월 27일 월요일

My Escape from Germany 32

My Escape from Germany 32



Within the next hour the compartment emptied, until we were left alone,
but for a German N.C.O., who, fat as a pig, was breathing stertorously
in his sleep. Tynsdale was slumbering behind his overcoat. I followed
his example for short spells, the uneasy feeling that I had something
or somebody to take care of following me into confused dreams.
 
At the Hanover main station our luggage went into the cloak-room and we
ourselves into the waiting-room and restaurant to have a cup of coffee.
 
I knew Hanover fairly well, and was to conduct my friends to the
Eilenriede, a huge public park encircling a quarter of the town. The
greater part of it is really a densely timbered forest, where we could
spend the morning, or part of it, in safety. Tynsdale and I in front,
Kent in the rear, we wended our way thither, as much as possible
through back streets.
 
It was a typical September morning, promising a hot day. The life of
the town was beginning to stir: people were going to work, milkmen were
making their rounds, a belated farmer’s cart rattled over the cobbles
now and again; from the main thoroughfares came the buzzing of trolleys
and the clanging of bells.
 
In the park Kent closed up, and we walked abreast for a time, talking
freely in German. We felt tired, and finally sat down in a secluded
spot, surrounded by thick timber and undergrowth. At long intervals
early-morning ramblers passed us, solitary old gentlemen, and several
couples who most decidedly felt no craving for further company, and
consequently took more notice of us than the old gentlemen. Near by,
two women were gathering wood and loading it into dilapidated “prams.”
They were usually out of sight, but we heard them all the time,
breaking the dry sticks into convenient lengths.
 
Gradually the sun sucked up the mists, but the haze of an autumn day
remained. Slanting shafts of light struck through the foliage, which
sent off scintillating reflections, where it moved in a very slight
breeze, while its shadows seemed to dance merrily on the ground. A full
chorus of birds warbled and twittered in praise of the warmth of the
waning summer. The hum of insects was in the air. A butterfly winged
past at intervals, and behind our seat a colony of ants was busily
engaged.
 
The leaves had begun to fall. They covered the ground between the
trees, but the branches themselves only showed the dark-green foliage
of summer.
 
Our surroundings moved me intensely. I had not seen in this way a green
thing in seventeen months of prison life. I had not been among green
trees for over three years. The seat, hard as it was, was comfortable
to our tired bodies. We felt lazy, and when we had discussed the
night’s events, and outlined the next move, the talk languished. We
were hungry, too. Two biscuits apiece and a rather generous allowance
of chocolate tasted good.
 
Kent told us that he had immediately found a seat in the train, the
night before. His compartment had emptied sooner than ours, and he had
chatted through most of the journey with his only traveling companion,
a lieutenant. I do not know how many lies he told him.
 
At ten o’clock we walked back to the town. The heat was oppressive
by now. A circuitous route, to waste time, brought us into the
main street, the Georg Strasse. In an arcade I entered a shop for
sporting-equipment, leaving Tynsdale to wait outside with Kent, and
obtained two military water-bottles and an extremely shoddy knapsack
at an exorbitant price. Kent bought cigars. A strong clasp-knife was
added to my equipment. At a tram-crossing I inquired from a policeman
about the cars to Hainholz. I intended to repeat the trick Wallace and
I had made use of ten months before, and avoid leaving from the main
station. It was too early to obtain a meal in a restaurant then--about
eleven o’clock--so we went into the famous Kafé Kroepke, where we sat
at different tables in the order of our entrance.
 
On the way back from the station, carrying our luggage and walking in
the usual order, I caught sight of a very detective-like individual
crossing the road toward us. He fell in behind Tynsdale and me, between
us and Kent. As well as I could I watched him, but we did not seem to
interest him. While we stood waiting for the tram, Kent closed up, and
I nearly choked with rage. I thought his instructions, “Do as we do,
but keep apart,” covered everything. Now he was asking me questions.
But, after all, it was only leveling up the score of the previous night
against _me_.
 
At Hainholz I went to the ticket-window and asked for two second-class
tickets to Bremen. Kent had asked for one ten minutes before, and had
been told to wait.
 
“Are you two traveling together?” asked the booking clerk.
 
“No, no. I’m traveling with my friend,” and I waved an uncertain hand
toward Tynsdale, who looked on with an impassive face from a seat
behind us.
 
“Do I understand you to want a pass for two, and you,” turning to Kent,
who was standing beside me, “for one?”
 
Kent signified his assent.
 
“I want two tickets to Bremen. Two!” said I.
 
“You see,” explained the man, “I have no tickets to Bremen in stock.
I’ve got to write out passes for you. It’ll save work, if two are
traveling together. I can make out a joint pass for two then.” Thank
heaven it was nothing else!
 
We rushed to the platform only just in time--and waited for half an
hour for the overdue train, another one of the parliamentary variety.
 
Tynsdale and I got the last two seats in a compartment occupied by a
well-dressed and well-groomed man, four flappers with school-maps, and
a very pretty woman.
 
I felt much relieved when the train started. Another part of our
venture had come to an end! We had now left the direct route toward
Holland, the route by which the authorities would expect us to travel.
Cloppenburg, which was the ultimate objective of our railway journey,
lay in a straight line not so many miles to the west of us. Yet we were
going to spend another seven and a half hours in getting there, and had
to change the direction of our flight twice.
 
It was, therefore, with considerable composure that I sat listening to
the chatter of the flappers and the occasional snores of the man, and
watching the landscape through the window.
 
It stretched flat to the horizon, dancing in the heat haze. Toward four
o’clock, white clouds made their appearance in the azure sky, followed
presently by gray ones. When we drew into Bremen Station, where we had
to wait forty minutes for another train, due to start at half-past
five, a heavy shower was drumming on the glass roof.
 
Our traveling companions remained with us all the way. About half an
hour before we reached our destination, the pretty lady next to me
began to make ready for her arrival. Her hair, an abundance of it,
required a lot of patting and pulling about, which did not alter its
appearance in any way to the male eye. She sat forward in her seat, and
with her back straight and her arms raised, she assumed the captivating
pose of a woman putting the last deft touches to her toilet. Although
anxious not to appear rude, I tried to lose none of her movements,
which were the more charming to me as I had not seen a woman of her
class close to me for over three years. Her rounded, well-modeled arms
and shoulders showed dimly through the thin blouse. Fortunately, she
was half turning her back toward me and my companion, and we could gaze
our fill.
 
“Wasn’t she pretty!” were Tynsdale’s first words in the station
restaurant after four hours of silence.
 
“Wasn’t she!”
 
* * * * *
 
We were having a cup of coffee, sociably sitting together at the
same table. I went out to buy the three tickets and have a wash. To
my astonishment, there was real soap for use, not merely to look at
as a curiosity, in the station lavatory. I made a remark about this
extraordinary fact to the attendant, who told me quite frankly that he
made it a point to have real soap, and that it was profitable for him
to buy it at eighteen marks per pound in bulk. This implied illicit
trading, and the outspokenness of his statement was illustrative of the
general evasion of the strict trading laws and price limits.
 
The journey to Oldenburg, our next stopping-place, took half an hour
only, but was the most trying part of our escape. We were on the main
line to an important naval and air-ship center, Wilhelmshaven, and
although we did not approach it within fifty miles, the fact never left
my mind. Furthermore, the compartment Tynsdale and I were in was so
crowded that we had at first to stand. As soon as a seat became vacant,
Tynsdale slipped into it. It was next the window on the other side
of the car, happily away from an inquisitive and extremely talkative
individual, who, having been rebuffed by an officer and earned the
hostile glare of a man in naval uniform, lapsed for a short time only
into comparative silence. Before he opened his sluice-gates again, I
had sat down beside Tynsdale, covertly watching the dangerous lunatic,
as I called him, and sending up heartfelt prayers that my friend would
stick to reading the book which he held in his hand as usual. He would
not do so, however, but kept looking out of the window, giving an
opportunity every time, I felt, for our conversational friend to open
fire.
 
The scheduled thirty-five minutes would not come to an end. Even when
my watch told me that they were past, the train still kept stopping at
small stations and in the open country, and jogging on again after a
short halt. My anxiety was great, but at last I had my reward when we
arrived at Oldenburg.
 
What is it that makes one place feel “safe” and another menacing?
In most cases it is difficult to explain. The comfortable assurance
of security I had here, I put down to the absence of crowds in the
station, and to the fact that a booking-office between the platforms
permitted the purchase of new tickets without the necessity of passing
through the gates with their hostile guard of soldiers. Eighteen months
earlier the shutters in front of the windows of a similar intermediate
office at Dortmund Station, had caused me to reflect that the
authorities wanted to force all passengers to come under the scrutiny
of the guard and the ever-present detectives. Now the face of the clerk
on the other side of the glass appeared a good omen. We were not in
Prussia, by the way, but in the Duchy of Oldenburg.
 
Our train was due to leave in twenty minutes from the time of our
belated arrival. After a short wait on the platform it was shunted
in. We all three bundled into the same compartment, but took seats in
different corners. We did not carry through very carefully this show
of not belonging together, as nobody joined us. Kent bought two small
baskets of fruit from a vendor who passed along the train, and we were
sufficiently hungry to start munching their contents at once.

댓글 없음: