2015년 7월 27일 월요일

My Escape from Germany 37

My Escape from Germany 37



I grabbed at a pole lying in the bottom of the boat. The water proved
too deep for punting, so I used it as a paddle, standing on a forward
thwart.
 
The boat was an enormously clumsy affair. Tynsdale snatched at the
painter when the bows touched the pier. “Get into your things, we’ll do
the rest.”
 
“Here’s the brandy.” Kent solicitously handed me the flask. I didn’t
need it, but thought I deserved a pull.
 
When I was dressed, I joined my friends, and we put our things into the
boat. Tynsdale, who had grown up among shipping, had swung her round,
so that her nose pointed downstream. We clambered in.
 
Kent and I were sitting in the bow when he pushed off, and started
to propel us across the river in proper waterman’s style with an oar
he had found in the bottom of the boat. Silently working it over the
stern, he guided her round the counter of the barge, underneath the
wire cable which connected the latter with the one lower down, and out
into the placid stream.
 
Not a word was spoken after we got clear. The large bulk of the empty
barge dwindled as the strip of water widened between us. The trees on
the bank we had left grew smaller, a trembling line of light glimmered
on the surface of the river from the winking window of the cottage.
Then the other bank grew distinct and high. The boat’s nose swung
upstream and touched. I am not quite sure who was ashore first, Kent or
I, but I am certain I had the painter.
 
“Don’t let her drift,” Tynsdale whispered from his quarter-deck, when
I had scrambled ashore. “Belay somewhere, if you can.” We found a post
with an iron ring on top, almost embedded in the ground, and made fast.
Our knapsacks were put ashore. Tynsdale left last, as befitted the
captain.
 
“Leave her there,” he counseled. “If we let her drift and get caught,
we’ll be charged with stealing her. They may not trouble to investigate
if they find her here.”
 
Hurriedly we retired among some bushes which dotted the hollows along
the river bank.
 
“Council of war,” I suggested in high glee. “What’s to be done now?
What time, Kent?”
 
“Twelve-forty-five.”
 
“What are your opinions? Are we to try to cross the frontier to-night
or not?”
 
“To-night, by all means to-night!” urged Tynsdale. We were all very
much excited, of course.
 
“Time’s getting short! Wait until to-morrow night!” counseled cautious
Kent.
 
The decision rested with me.
 
“Time _is_ getting rather short, but we might do it. Question is, can
we find cover if we don’t? It must be good, to serve its purpose in the
Sperrgebiet. I think we ought to dump everything we can spare, and go
forward as fast as possible. We can always alter our minds, until after
we get on to the morass.”
 
“Good!” grunted Tynsdale.
 
“As you wish,” Kent gave way gracefully.
 
“Then hurry!” I instructed.
 
Feverishly we went through our impedimenta, thrust the remainder of
our biscuits, escapers’ shortbread, chocolate, and such indispensable
things as were not already there, into our pockets, and shoved
rucksacks, overcoats, raincoats, and everything else underneath the
bushes.
 
I knew the map too well to want to look at it long. Had we not spent
days studying the stretch in front of us, often with the help of
magnifying glasses?
 
“What time, Kent?”
 
“One o’clock.”
 
“Give me exactly half an hour.”
 
Relieved of about thirty pounds in weight, I set the fastest pace in my
power downstream, along the river bank. I hoped to find a path there,
which was to take us to the “jumping-off place” to the north of us,
where I intended to get to the swamp. The path was there. The going
was easy, and comparatively safe. Bushes dotted the banks and gave
continuous shelter.
 
It cannot be denied that our procedure was risky. We took it for
granted that we should not meet any sentries along the river, in spite
of our information to the contrary. But slow and careful going seemed
equally risky at the time. Only speed could help us across the frontier
that night.
 
My decision in favor of trying to bring our venture to an immediate
conclusion was wrong. I ought to have seen that it was more than likely
that we should find cover along the river. Yet--I don’t know.
 
“The half-hour is over,” said Kent.
 
The river was flowing placidly on our right, swirling softly. Straight
across from us a back-water lost itself between tall reeds. This was
the spot I had hoped to reach. We filled our water-bottles and drank.
Then I slid down the bank, raised here above the surrounding country,
and started due west, followed by my companions. Passing a few yards
of scattered bushes, with rank grass between them, I plunged into
a dense thicket of oak saplings. Pushing and straining, I worked
on, in order to get through what I imagined to be a narrow belt. It
would not come to an end, but grew thicker instead, finally making
progress impossible. In the light of the torch the small trees stood
impenetrably close.
 
“Here’s our cover; no time to work round this patch, and no need to,
either,” I said.
 
“Well, I’m glad,” commented Kent.
 
“I wish we hadn’t left our overcoats behind,” I reflected. “Let’s see.
Four hours till daylight. We’ll be damnably cold. Let’s go fetch ’em.
Heaps of time. Nothing else to do.”
 
Back on the river bank I tied my handkerchief to a branch, knee-high
above the ground. After a careful look round, to impress the contours
of the landscape on my mind, we started back.
 
I had not the slightest misgivings about our ability to find our
knapsacks and to disappear again into our hiding-place. The hollow
where we had left them? Gracious me! I could walk there blindfolded.
I could draw its shape now. My cock-sureness was not at all damped by
Kent’s dismal forebodings, on which he started as we approached the
spot.
 
We found the boat, but not our luggage; we searched for it more than
half an hour, quite recklessly at the last. There were thousands of
apparently identical hollows. They had multiplied exceedingly during
our absence. I thought I entered them all. But our luggage was lost,
and stayed lost.
 
“No use. We’ve got to go.” I fell in with the urging of the others at
last.
 
At about 3:30 we stretched ourselves on the dry leaves among the oak
saplings and fell asleep.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXV
 
THE LAST LAP
 
 
Half an hour later we were awake again, shivering and with chattering
teeth. The wind was rising and rustling in the canopy of leaves over
our heads. It was dark and bitterly cold.
 
“I’m going to do something,” I announced. “We may have rain. I’ll build
a shelter.”
 
The oak saplings offered an ideal material for an arbor, although the
clasp-knife did not bite readily through their tough fibers. Jointly
we interlaced the crowns of six or seven stout saplings, growing in a
circle, and twisted long branches in and out of the stems. We made a
small but dense roof. The floor we covered with small twigs and leaves
to the depth of two or three inches.
 
The exertion made the blood course through our veins again. Before we
had finished, it was day.
 
The wind had increased to a gale, which shrieked and roared and
rustled among the foliage, sending occasional eddies even into our
hiding-place. It kept the rain off, which threatened now and again
during the forenoon. There were no mosquitoes. I do not think there
ever are any among oaks.
 
Several excursions to the river bank, in couples or singly, one of
us always remaining in the arbor, warmed us a little when we had got
chilled to the bone. The river path, and the belt of scattered bushes,
remained deserted all day. But we observed a considerable amount of
river traffic. Long strings of barges, mostly empty, were being towed
upstream by powerful tugs.
 
Tynsdale scouted toward the west, away from the river, and reported a
farm some distance from our hiding-place in that direction, and the
existence of a pond and a belt of marsh-land behind the thicket.
 
We slept in snatches of minutes, until the cold awoke us again, and
again sent us dancing or scouting about. It was the most miserable
camp we had yet experienced, but the safest, and the one where we were
the least thirsty. There was more water about us than was altogether
desirable, we thought at the time. Twenty-four hours later, looking
back, we altered our opinion.
 
The distance from this camp to the Dutch frontier was five miles to the
west-northwest, as the crow flies. Opposite to us the border traversed
an extensive swamp, the Bourtange Moor, twenty-five miles in length,
and between five and seven miles in width.
 
According to our map, neither road nor path led over it, which was
one of the reasons why we had selected it as the point to strike at.
“Information received” had encouraged our belief that the swamps
which extend along nearly the whole of the northern frontier between
Holland and Germany can be traversed in summer and autumn during normal
years. Other information tended to show that comparatively they were
negligently guarded. I had never forgotten a newspaper article which
I had read in Ruhleben in the winter of 1915-1916. A territorial had
described his duties as a frontier guard. There was one passage: “When
on duty I shared a small hut with another man.We had to walk two
hours to the nearest post.” Two men to guard a two-hours’ stretch! Ridiculous! Camouflage! but still--

댓글 없음: