2015년 7월 26일 일요일

My Escape from Germany 11

My Escape from Germany 11


About half an hour afterward she came to my window, bringing two girls
with her, who obviously had come on purpose to see the wild Englishman.
The taller was a strapping, Junoesque maiden with apple-red cheeks
and considerable assurance. Her friend, a foil to her, was more of a
Cinderella, gray, middle-sized, reticent, but pleasant to look upon,
and with intelligent eyes and a humorous mouth. She said never a word
during her friend’s lively chat with me, only gurgling her amusement
now and then.
 
When they had gone I continued my intermittent watch of “the little
patch of blue that prisoners call the sky.” Gradually it changed to a
rosy hue, then the color faded, and a few stars began to twinkle feebly.
 
With the approach of evening the temperature had gone down, and the
overcoat had become a comfort. To my surprise, an inner pocket,
crackling ever so little, gave up a piece of map not larger than my
hand. It was from the more useless map I had bought, but the most
important part of it, the only piece I had kept when setting out from
Haltern. Being printed on thin, unbacked paper, it had escaped the
attention of my captors the more easily as they had found the other
complete map in my coat pocket. It did not tell me much more than I
knew already, but, kept before me until darkness fell, it undoubtedly
helped me visualize the country I was walking through later on.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER IX
 
BREAKING PRISON
 
 
Before I made a move I was going to wait until the probability of a
surprise visit should have passed. Such a visit I expected at about
eleven o’clock, for at that time the Amtmann would probably go home
from wherever he was drinking beer, and on his way would have a look at
me. To give my jailers an extra hour to surprise me in, was again only
ordinary precaution.
 
Once in the loft, I was going to take off as many tiles as I must to
get through the roof into the garden, from there into the street, and
out of the village in any direction. In the country it would most
likely prove necessary to work round the village at a safe distance
in order to strike a certain turnpike. Several miles along it a brook
crossing the road was an indication that I should have to look out for
a third-class cart track. Some distance along this a railway, and,
shortly after, a first-class road, could be taken as evidence that the
frontier was within four miles, and that I had entered the danger zone.
 
When it was too dark to continue the study of the scrap of map, I
lay down, but was too excited to go to sleep. Slowly the hours and
quarter-hours, chimed by the church, dragged past. As I expected, just
after eleven o’clock the Amtmann entered with the warder. “Why! aren’t
you asleep yet?” he asked. I protested that the rattle of the key had
awakened me. They left. Half an hour after the warder came in again,
said something, and disappeared. At 12:15 I burst into action.
 
Feeling for the sweater and oilsilks, which lay ready to hand, I rolled
them into a bundle. I did the same with my jacket, waistcoat, and
underclothes, after having stripped to the waist, the better to get
through the narrow opening in the ceiling. Next, I folded the paillasse
and propped it against the wall at the foot of the bed. Standing on it,
I lifted the loose board and with a jerk of my wrists flung it free. I
shoved the two bundles of clothes up, first feeling for an unencumbered
space of floor, then levered myself after them.
 
Arms extended, and with a careful shuffle of my feet, lest I should
step on some glass or metal object, I gained the spot where one or two
stars glimmered through the hole in the roof.
 
Grasping the remaining half of the broken tile, I twisted it out as
carefully as I could, not without causing a grating noise, which
sounded loud in the absolute silence. After some difficulty I drew it
through the enlarged hole and, again making sure that the floor was
clear, deposited it carefully. The next tile gave greater trouble. It
being entire, the ends of the superimposed ones had to be lifted to
allow of its withdrawal. When I straightened up, in order to attack
the third in the row, I was startled by the sound of a low-voiced
conversation close to me and apparently on the same level.
 
The natural impulse was to keep quiet, which I did. I waited. The even
voices went on. Carefully I pushed my head outside and looked about.
In the gable of the house on the right, and only about ten yards away,
was a small window. The sound of murmured speech floated through the
open panes directly toward me from the dark room behind. I took it
to be the bedroom of the farmer and his wife, and remembering their
complaint about my having been noisy the night before, I cursed the
ill chance which had made this one German farmer--one, surely, in ten
thousand--fond of fresh air in his sleeping-chamber.
 
The bitterly cold night air was streaming over my naked shoulders while
I stood waiting for the people to go to sleep. Soon the talk ceased,
but I gave them a liberal amount of time before I continued my labors.
 
When I had taken out three tiles in the first row, those in the
next and the next again were quickly removed. The opening was now
sufficiently large, but the two exposed laths running through it did
not leave too much space between them for a man of my size to clamber
through.
 
Stepping back to get my clothes, I misjudged the distance, which was
small--a step or two only--and almost fell through the hole in the
floor. I saved myself only by quickly shifting my weight from one
foot to the other, which touched something soft. With a thud one of
my bundles fell back into the cell. Fortunately it was the oilsilks
and sweater; unfortunately the piece of map was in the pocket of the
former. I did not go after them, but left them where they had fallen,
and slipped into my clothes as quickly as the want of light and space
would permit. This done, it was only a matter of great care and unusual
contortions to get my somewhat bulky person through the laths.
 
At last I stood on the lower of the two I had exposed, with the night
wind soughing over me. Doubtfully, I surveyed the expanse of roof
at my feet. How to get across it was the question. Sliding over the
tiles meant making a tremendous noise, quite apart from the danger of
possible injury. If they were removed one by one, what was to be done
with them? Should I chuck them into the garden as they came off the
laths? I had it! Why not repair the roof above me as I demolished it in
my descent?
 
My sense of humor was rather tickled at the idea. To imagine the faces
of the Amtmann and the warder when they were trying to reconstruct “the
crime” was exceedingly funny. It made me use some extra and unnecessary
care as I replaced the tiles on the laths above me, taking them, always
two and two, from those below.
 
In a very short time I was standing on the last lath. I was in the
denser shadow of the roof now, and the eight feet from the ground
might have been eight thousand for all I could see of it. This made
me hesitate, since a miscalculation of the distance might easily have
meant a jar or a sprain. Without a sound, however, I landed on a soft
garden bed.
 
A few moments after I was at the gate, and over, and in the street.
A solitary street lamp was burning here and there; not a soul was in
sight. In the shadow of the wall I stooped to take off my boots and
socks. As far as I recollect, I got out of the village like a streak of
greased lightning. In reality I probably walked with due caution. I did
not stop until I found myself in a dark lane outside, where I put on my
boots. It was now 1:15.
 
The news of my escape would spread, I was sure, like wildfire through
the country, and a hue and cry would soon be raised. Every man Jack
who could spare the time would make one of a searching party. For
such a thing to happen in a small community was bound to create a far
greater stir than among the more sophisticated inhabitants of even a
middle-sized town. I had received a hint that police dogs were kept in
Vehlen. This might have been bluff, but it was not safe to bet on it.
To put as much distance between me and the pursuers was my only chance.
 
To do that I had to find the turnpike I have spoken of. As far as I
knew, it entered Vehlen from the west. South of and parallel to it was
a secondary railway track.
 
As soon as a sufficient expanse of sky was visible for me to take
bearings, which was impossible in the lane on account of big trees on
each side, I found that I should have to pass around the southern side
of Vehlen to get to the desired point. This would prove difficult and
wasteful of my most precious commodity, time, as an extensive copse
and generally unfavorable country intervened. The seemingly bolder
course of walking back through the village had decided advantages and
was at this hour hardly dangerous. Off came my boots again, and at a
dog-trot, which increased to a fast sprint in front of a public house
with a drunken voice issuing through the window, I crossed the southern
part of the village. I did not happen to come upon the turnpike as I
had hoped. On taking bearings after this second traverse of the village
I found it lying northeast of me and therefore concluded that both
railway and road were to be looked for in a northerly direction.
 
“Northwest now, and damn the wire fences.” It was difficult going at
first, the country, criss-crossed by fences and ditches, enclosing
swampy meadows. Due north was easier walking and would do nearly as
well. A path gave me a rest. It was so heavenly easy to follow. Bang! I
stumbled over a rail. “Hurrah, the railway! Now for the road!”
 
Again across-country, I pushed on as fast as I could in my favored
direction. It was not very fast, for the difficulties were enough
to drive one crazy. Swampy meadows, ditches, barbed-wire fences,
woods, copses, but never a bit of easy ground. Soon I was wet to the
hips. Branches plucked at my garments or slashed me across the face;
barbed-wire fences grasped and retained pieces of cloth as I got over
them; the sides of ditches caved in under my feet and, having jumped
short in consequence, I landed half in the water; and ever and anon the village church tolled another quarter of an hour.

댓글 없음: