2015년 7월 27일 월요일

My Escape from Germany 21

My Escape from Germany 21


On the morning of the 16th of November I said I would not go. At four
o’clock I said I would, and meant it. Between five and six we went.
 
* * * * *
 
It was already dark at this time. On the ground floor and next to
the stairs was the office of the prison. From its door one had an
unobstructed view of the whole length of the corridor and of that part
of the gateway connecting the street with the yard, nearest to the
front gate. Fortunately the door was always kept shut at this time of
the year on account of the cold.
 
The gatekeeper had his office in one of the cells off the corridor. He
could not see the gateway without leaving the cell. The gateway was at
right angles with the corridor, and not very well lighted. Two steps
led down to its level. In passing from the corridor into the yard the
front door was to the immediate right of the steps.
 
At this period of our imprisonment the prisoners had access to the
yard at any moment during recreation time. It was cleared for the day
at half-past six o’clock. Wallace and I went there at the appointed
time--five o’clock--wearing our overcoats, as usual, but our best
clothes underneath. The others were already there.
 
A sixth man had been admitted to the party, a German stockbroker. This
upset Wallace so much that the slightest attempt at persuasion on my
part would have made him give up the venture altogether. But now that I
had made up my mind I rather urged him on.
 
That morning an N.C.O. had come on duty at the gate who some months
before had insisted upon being armed while on duty, and who had
declared his intention of preventing any one from leaving the building
alive, if an attempt should be made. Since he was bound to discover the
open gate almost at once, we had a fair chance of getting hurt, which
greatly perturbed G.
 
At length the moment of action came. S., followed by the rest of the
conspirators, made as if to return to his cell. Once inside, he went
straight to the front gate, while the powerful German put his back
against the gate we had just passed through, to prevent anybody from
following us. Wallace and I walked up the steps into the corridor and
stood there, chatting, to screen S. while he unlocked the door. He
failed in his first attempt. The second time he was successful.
 
We slipped through the door and found ourselves in the deserted street
in front of the prison. The others, contrary to agreement, broke into a
run and disappeared around a corner on the left. Wallace and I walked
leisurely until we turned underneath a railroad bridge to the right.
 
We felt somewhat relieved when we had turned the corner. During the
walk up the street we had expected every moment to hear the crackle of
automatics beginning behind us. It is one thing to face a gun; it is
another to expect to be shot in the back.
 
We were to meet S. and G. at a certain café close to the railway
station where our parcel had been deposited, but it took us a long time
to get there, as we did not know our way about Berlin, and were unable
to hire a taxi or droshky. They had almost given up hope when we
arrived.
 
We sat down at their table in a well-lighted, large room. Everybody
seemed at ease except me. I felt nervous, but tried to hide it. During
the next half-hour S. left us several times to telephone, as he said,
to the house where Wallace and I were to stay. Each time he came back
saying he could not get the connection.
 
“Let us go and get our luggage, then,” I suggested.
 
“Didn’t you say you wanted to buy some things?” S. queried.
 
“Yes; we want to see whether we can get a couple of oilsilks,
two water-bottles, a portmanteau, and, if possible, a couple of
sleeping-bags.”
 
“You’d better hurry up, then. The shops will be open only for another
hour. We’ll meet you at Café ---- at ten o’clock. In the meantime I’ll
arrange for your lodgings.”
 
I was doubtful, but we had trusted him so far; it seemed foolish and
impolitic to show suspicion now. Moreover, to have to carry the parcel
would be a nuisance if not a danger. So we agreed and left them.
 
In a big department-store we bought the articles mentioned. The
sleeping-bags were thin, by no means waterproof and almost useless,
but better than nothing. Clothed as we were, in ordinary town clothes
only, I was much concerned to get what extra protection from the cold
we could.
 
While I was completing this purchase, a shop-walker addressed me and
followed up his introductory remarks with a reference to the latest air
raid on London and a pious wish as to the fate of the d----d English.
I heartily endorsed his sentiments, while Wallace, with dancing eyes,
grinned facetiously at me. Just at closing time we left the store and
took the hand-bag to the station cloak-room.
 
Walking about the streets to wile away the time until ten o’clock, we
met S. and G. carrying their luggage. “Hullo, what the ----! It’s all
right, boys; be at the place at ten.”
 
We were there at half-past nine. We were still there at eleven. Nobody
came. Several times I made the round of the café, even though we sat
close to the only entrance and could not miss them if they came. At
half-past eleven we left, but returned in twenty minutes. Then we gave
up hope.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XVI
 
FROM BERLIN TO HALTERN
 
 
The night was bitterly cold. The extraordinarily mild weather of the
last weeks had changed at the most inopportune moment. A few hard
flakes of snow were now and again driven into our faces by a searching
wind. We were without shelter, without food for the walking part of
our enterprise, without adequate clothes. In Wallace’s case a year
and a half, in mine seven months, of prison life had not improved the
condition of our health. We were decidedly too soft to stand a number
of days of cold weather without at least some fatty nourishment.
 
I pictured us sleeping in ordinary townish winter clothes on a freezing
day, perhaps with snow on the ground, in thin sleeping-bags consisting
of an outer cover of canvas and a light lining of shoddy. We should be
wet through in half an hour. The moisture would freeze on our garments
as the generation of body heat, already at a low ebb for want of food,
decreased. Then, we would go to sleep.
 
I imagined us trying to slip through between two sentries, five hundred
yards apart, with patrols in between, and over bare fields, while the
snow-light gave tolerable vision up to a mile.
 
I was so disheartened that I proposed that we should walk to the prison
and give ourselves up. We could plead that we had gone away for a
lark. Our punishment would almost certainly be light. There had been
precedents which warranted this view. It was not impossible that the
German authorities might come to the conclusion that one escape apiece
had been enough for us. In this way we might get another chance under
more favorable circumstances. If we persisted now, we had not one in
ten thousand, and we firmly believed that after capture we should
be sent to a penitentiary prison and guarded beyond hope of another
attempt.
 
With splendid pluck and determination Wallace talked me round. No, he
was not going to do anything of the sort. Let them catch him, if they
could, but no voluntary surrender for him. I could do as I liked, but
we might find it easier than we thought.
 
“All right! Let’s go to a hotel!”
 
“That isn’t safe. We must try to get somewhere else.”
 
I intended to have my way now. “No fear! From what S. told us, it is
safe enough. We both speak German pretty well. If we leave the place
before eight o’clock we’ll be all right. Look at C. and G.! They never
had to show their passports at the hotels. This way to the station for
our luggage! Say, do you know a small hotel hereabouts?”
 
“Yes, there is the ----. I stopped there once. But it is a good long
way from here.”
 
“Let’s try it, anyway.”
 
I had pocketed the luggage-ticket. At the station I could not find it.
An agitated search through my pockets failed to reveal the square thin
paper. We were standing in front of the cloak-room, and I was still
hunting through my pockets when a man approached us.
 
I had caught sight of him out of the corner of my eye while he was
still some yards away. If ever there was a detective in plain clothes,
he was one. Deliberately I half turned my back toward him. He stepped
up close to my shoulder and peered over it, listening to what we were
saying. I dared not take any notice. Wallace’s eyes, boring for a
moment into mine while he lolled against a counter, are still clear
before me.
 
A few months earlier I had received an answer to one of our petitions,
in a fine official envelop with a huge blue seal on the back. With an
indefinite idea that the seal might be used as an effective camouflage,
I had kept the envelop by me. I drew out my pocket-book, and while
searching through it, held the back of the envelop conveniently exposed
to the eyes of the detective.
 
“I must have left it at the hotel. Let’s go there and send for the
luggage,” I said aloud in German. The detective turned away. So did we.
 
A single cab stood in front of the station. I turned toward the station
police-office to get the brass disk, but was met half-way by the
policeman, who had been watching us. He handed it to me without a word.
 
The hotel at which we wished to stay was full. After some palaver cabby
took us to one near by, where we got a room. It was a very small place.
The night-porter seemed to be the only servant on duty. He appeared
somewhat suspicious, but said nothing about it.
 
The double-bedded room we were shown into looked very nice. We thought
it ridiculously luxurious, but Wallace went to bed at once. It was
about one o’clock. While undressing I found the luggage-ticket in an inner waistcoat pocket.

댓글 없음: