2015년 7월 27일 월요일

My Escape from Germany 35

My Escape from Germany 35



Our resting-place on the bank of the ditch had been selected from the
standpoint of concealment only. It was most uncomfortable to lie on.
Before the sun had cleared the horizon, we were awake again.
 
The rain had ceased after midnight, and now a boisterous wind
was dispersing the last clouds which hurried across the sky from
the northeast, tinted rosily on their under side. The air was
extraordinarily clear. Its refreshing coolness quickly drove the last
cloying remnants of sleep from our brains. The sun rose. Far away, to
the east, the church spire of Werfte stood sharply defined above the
smudge of green which indicated the village.
 
I crept away from my friends during the morning to glean some
information, if possible, by a look from the other side of the thicket,
toward the west. The pale blue of the sky above, speckled by hurrying
clouds, the flat rim of the sky-line, broken by two distant villages,
the line of the road by which we had come, continuing toward the large
village of Soegel, and a solitary farm, seven hundred yards away, made
up the landscape. While I lay watching behind a furze bush a country
cart crept across my circle of vision. Between me and the invisible
road a number of cattle sounded unmelodius bells with every hasty
movement of their heads.
 
“We needn’t look for the road to-night. It’s there, to the west,” I
announced, rejoining my friends. “We can break camp early and get water
as soon as dusk is setting in. After that we’ll go northwesterly across
country, turn north on the road,” etc. I outlined the next night’s
march. Our plans were very elaborate, but came to naught.
 
“All right,” my companions nodded assent. “Now have something to eat.”
They were munching away at their rations. For a time we chatted in
excellent spirits.
 
“There is a much better place to lie in just behind us. It looks safe
enough,” suggested Tynsdale, worming his way back to us through the
bushes after a short absence.
 
“Yes; let’s shift! I saw it, too,” seconded Kent.
 
So we shifted, and soon lay comfortably ensconced in the lee of some
bushes. Here we were bothered by mosquitoes, for the air was still, but
we felt warm, and managed to snatch some sleep during the remainder of
the day.
 
At 8:30 P.M. we were plodding through the heather toward the lake,
which glimmered at the bottom of a shallow depression. We were licking
our lips in anticipation of the drink we were going to have. Two
hundred yards from the shore the ground became marshy, then a quagmire.
We strung out in line abreast in order to find a firm path to the
water’s edge, but had to desist in the face of impossibilities.
 
Rain had been threatening for the last four hours, but was still
holding off, when we got on to the road, and proceeded north. We had
walked steadily for an hour or so. The night was pitch-dark. Black and
flat swamp-land extended all round to the indistinct horizon. Here and
there the lighter streaks of ditches, full of foul, stagnant water,
were ruled across the black expanse. The wires of a telephone line on
our right hummed in the wind.
 
We were walking as best we could--I a little in front on the right,
Tynsdale on the other side of the road, Kent almost treading on my
heels. The ribbon of turf underneath my feet seemed fairly broad.
 
A sudden splash behind me caused me to stop and whirl round. A white
face at my feet heaved itself, as it seemed, out of the ground, and
Kent scrambled back on to the road, squirting water from every seam.
 
“Did _you_ know you were walking within half an inch of a ditch? How is
it _you_ didn’t fall in?” he demanded savagely of me.
 
“Are you hurt?” I counter-questioned anxiously.
 
“Not a bit! The water was just deep enough to cover me entirely, except
my knapsack. That seems dry,” he answered, feeling himself all over.
“I’ve lost my hat, though.”
 
“Anything else?”
 
“No, I don’t think so. Never mind the old hat. I hardly ever wear it.”
 
“Come on, then! Keep moving, or you’ll catch a chill.”
 
After about one hour and a half, during which a number of paths had
demonstrated the unreliability of our maps in this locality, none
of them being marked, a cart road on our left proved too much of a
temptation for me.
 
“Are you fellows game,” I asked, “to follow me over uncharted ground?
I feel certain I can do better by compass alone, and probably save us
several miles.”
 
“Don’t make speeches, old man; get along. We’ll follow.”
 
I was fortunate in being able to justify this move. Three quarters of
an hour afterward we struck a highway a mile in front of the village
of Spahn, our nearest objective. Pleased with myself, I announced a
clear gain of about three miles. Here we took it easy for about twenty
minutes, sitting in the road, with our feet in the ditch. Kent and
Tynsdale had a draft from the brandy flask, and we all had something to
eat.
 
“This is the fifth shrine we’ve seen since Monday night. I always
thought northern Germany was entirely Protestant,” Kent remarked when
our scouting for water at the entrance of a settlement had led us
around the structure.
 
“We’d much prefer a well, anyway,” was our unanimous opinion.
 
We simply had to have water. After searching among the houses we
finally found a rain-tub half full of it. It contained a fair number
of insect larvæ, to judge from the tiny, soft bodies passing over
our tongues while we drank, but we continued our march with heavy
water-bottles.
 
The name of the village, in black letters on a white board, dispelled
any possible doubt as to our position. A white post close to this sign
elicited my angry comment:
 
“I’d like to know how many of these beastly poles with the direction
boards missing we’ve seen so far! Do the Boches think they can make it
more difficult for an invading army or something, by knocking their
sign-posts to pieces?”
 
For the next hour and a half our way lay through dense forest. The
straight, very wide clearing which served as a road was ankle-deep
in sand. As it yielded and gave way under the backward pressure of
our hurrying feet, it produced the nightmarish sensation of striving
hopelessly in a breathless flight against a retarding force. Thousands
of fireflies dotted the roadside with points of greenish light, or
drew curves of phosphorescence in the air. A heavy shower urged us to
assume the sweltering protection of our raincoats. Several times I
checked the direction of the road at its beginning, and even borrowed
Tynsdale’s compass for the purpose, as the needle of mine seemed to
move sluggishly, but I noticed nothing wrong.
 
* * * * *
 
The next village, which we entered soon after midnight, looked quite
different from what we had expected. It was of considerable size.
The streets were in darkness, although electric street lamps were
installed. But the yellow squares of numerous lighted windows told of
many inhabitants not yet in bed. Near the church we turned into a road
on our right. Among the last houses I checked the road’s direction.
 
“It isn’t the road we want,” was my conclusion. “Leading too directly
north. We’d better go back and look for the right one. What d’you
think?”
 
“D’you think it safe?”
 
“Well, we haven’t much time to spare. But the streets are dark enough.
We might risk it.”
 
Again we passed in front of the church. In what looked like the
vicarage at one side, three large windows lit the road in front. A
shadow passed over the blinds. A door banged. Hurriedly we dived into
the shadow farther on. The footfalls of a single man sounded behind us,
ominously determined it seemed. It was too dark to see more than three
or four yards, but we were sincerely glad when the sound was gradually
left behind and we found ourselves in the open country on a sort of
cart track.
 
“This isn’t the road, either. Too far west this time,” was my
conclusion. “The former road is the better of the two. We’ll strike
back to it across-country.”
 
We did so in twenty minutes’ work over fields. It soon began to tally
better with the direction on the map. Two hours through firefly
infested forest saw us enter another village, as dark and as safe as
any we had yet passed through. At its farther end we stopped.
 
“We’ve simply got to see whether we can’t get more water,” I said. “I
don’t really know where we are. I expect it will be all right, but I
do not know how long it will take us to find a brook. These farms must
have a water-supply somewhere. Just wait at the corner here. I’ll go
scouting. If anything happens to me, I’ll make enough noise to let you
know of it. Then you can scoot out of the village and wait for me a
reasonable time somewhere along the road.” And I left them protesting
mildly.
 
Across a manure-littered farmyard I splashed stealthily into a sort of
kitchen-garden, as it turned out. Standing there I used my flashlight
once for a look round. From behind me, right over my head and in easy
reach, stretched the large branch of a tree, bending under a heavy
load of apples. The first I touched remained in my hand at once, which
showed them to be ripe. I crammed my pockets and filled my hat. I got
almost thirty. Then I joined my companions, who were getting impatient
and anxious. It never occurred to me to send Tynsdale and Kent to
get their quota, nor did they think of suggesting it. I am still
regretting the omission. We divided the spoils, and sank our teeth into
the hard, juicy, sweet flesh of the fruit which had tempted the Mother
of us all.
 
At the end of the village a broken sign-board lay in the ditch:
“Village of Wahn, Borough of ----, District of ----,” etc. With a
sinking heart I fumbled for my map.
 
“Form round and let’s have a look,” I said. “Here we are! I’m beastly
sorry; I’ve been a fool! We took the wrong road at Spahn. That big
village was Soegel, not Werpeloh, as I thought. No wonder we were
puzzled. No wonder I almost got us into a hopeless mess. Fortunately
we are clear now, and, but for water, better off, if anything, than on
our proper route. Let’s be traveling now, and see whether we can make
Kluse. It’s a little over six miles.”
 
The mistake was a very bitter pill for me to swallow. The fact that no
harm had come of it was little consolation. One simply must not make
mistakes on an escape.
 
Forest and swamp-land, telegraph-poles and fireflies, and drumming showers of rain, and we were, oh, so tired!

댓글 없음: