2015년 7월 26일 일요일

My Escape from Germany 8

My Escape from Germany 8


A phenomenon of which I was ignorant at the time, but which is well
known to sailors, kept me busy conjecturing. It is an impression one
gets at night, on level ground, or at sea, that one is going decidedly
up-hill. In my case this introduced a disturbing factor into my
calculations as to my position.
 
After tacking through a forest over checker-board clearings the meaning
of which was hidden from me, for they were hardly paths or roads, I
came out upon a path, and heard water bubbling out of the bank on my
right. “More haste less speed. Take it easy,” I murmured to myself,
dropping the haversack. Then I bent down to the spring and, having
drunk as much as I needed, and eaten a mouthful of food, I did some of
the hardest thinking of my life.
 
So far as I recollect, my watch showed just 3:20 A.M. I went minutely
over all my movements since leaving Klein Recken. Although the road,
which I expected would lie across my course, had not yet materialized,
I was confident that I had kept my direction fairly well. It was the
impossibility of calculating one’s speed across-country which caused
the uncertainty as to my whereabouts.
 
Fortunately, there was no doubt that a turnpike was not many miles to
the north of me. To reach it, and thus ascertain my position, meant
leaving the present route to the frontier. With less than two hours of
darkness before the dawn, which would force me into hiding, the former
factor was of far greater importance than the latter.
 
My nerves had been getting a little shaky under the stress. I had to
press my hands to my head in order to think logically, and to exert all
my will-power to keep my heart steady. Oh, for a companion! The effort
cleared my brain and soothed me. I was almost cheerful when I went on.
 
Opposite a farmhouse, the path divided and my way became a miry and
deeply rutted cart track. Past another farm, it entered a swampy meadow
through a gate and disappeared. Savage at being tricked again, I
wheeled round to look for the other fork of the track, but was arrested
by seeing a light in the window of the farmhouse where a big dog had
given the alarm when I passed. This was the last straw. Clenching my
teeth, I crouched behind the hedge, an insensate fury making my ears
sing. For the moment, having lost all control of myself, I was more
than ready to meet man or dog, or both, and fight it out on the spot.
But that feeling passed quickly.
 
The noise of a door being opened came to my ears. A lantern was borne
from the house and obscured again. Another door opened, and the
footsteps of a horse sounded on cobbles, followed by the jingling of
harness. Then a cart started out into the dark. Where a cart could go
there must be a road; so I followed after, stumbling over ruts and
splashing through puddles, and running when the horse broke into a trot.
 
The cart drew up in front of a building, of which I could see only
patches of the front wall where the lantern light struck. Followed
the noise of heavy things dumped into the vehicle. Then it started
again--back toward where I was standing. Thoroughly exasperated, I
turned on my heel and walked back over the road I had come, careless
whether I was seen or not. I soon drew away, tried to work round in a
circle, and presently came upon a road once more.
 
What a relief it was to feel even ground under my feet! A little way
farther on, and a sign-post pointing in opposite directions along the
road, read: “Klein Recken 8 Km., Heiden 2 Km.” Out with the map. There
was the road, which I had overlooked entirely so far, as it was very
faintly marked. With satisfaction I saw that I had kept my direction
admirably; but it was annoying to perceive that my course had lain
parallel to it all the time, probably never more than a mile away.
Making for the village, only about twenty minutes ahead, I could in
good time reach a desolate, high plateau, where cover very likely could
be found.
 
In Heiden, a compact little village, my footfalls rang loudly in the
cobbled streets. There was no sign of life about the place, and special
precautions seemed entirely superfluous. I walked past the church and
struck right into the high road I was looking for, which was easily
recognizable by its direction and the fact that it began immediately to
ascend the plateau.
 
The worst of my troubles over for the night, the fact that I was tired,
not so much muscularly as mentally, became only too apparent as I
trudged along. I started talking to myself, imitating tricks of speech
of my late companions at the sanatorium, and making up whole dialogues.
This continued as long as I followed the turnpike mechanically,
although I was perfectly aware of the absurdity of my behavior and
tried to stop it.
 
The sky was now paling in the east, and about two miles out of Heiden I
started to look for cover. For three quarters of an hour I kept leaving
the road for likely-looking woods, always to find farmhouses concealed
behind them.
 
Several times, while I was standing among the trees, and peering
anxiously about me, white-robed figures appeared to execute weird
dances between the trunks, only to dissolve into nothing on my approach
to investigate them. Friends of mine had similar experiences to relate,
when later on we met in prison and swapped yarns about our adventures.
 
The light was increasing apace, when a tall pine wood loomed up on my
left. Bursting through the bushes fringing it, I proceeded a little way
in, until I came to a deep, dry ditch marking its margin, and fairly
effectively concealed by bushes. I had the fir woods on my left; on my
right was a patch of land bounded by a wire fence and grown over by
small firs and thornless furze. A little farther up, some of the furze
had been cut and was lying on the ground. An examination of the stumps
showed them black and weathered; there was no sign of recent work.
Beyond the wire fence, and across a plowed field, a farm lay more than
half concealed in its orchard.
 
Gathering as much as I could of the furze in my arms, I carried it to
a place where the ditch was particularly deep and well concealed. Two
trips sufficed to provide me with the necessary amount. Arranging the
furze in the approved fashion, lengthways and across, I soon had an
excellent spring-mattress in the bottom of the ditch. Undressing, I
donned the dry sweater next my skin, and put all the garments I had by
me over it, for the air was bitingly cold.
 
A last deep draft from the water-bottle, a careful wriggle to get on my
couch, and I fell asleep instantly.
 
* * * * *
 
I awoke without a start, and with every sense alert, after barely
two hours, wonderfully refreshed and not in the least stiff. The sun
was low in the sky and shone like a big red disk through the morning
mist. Pale-golden shafts of light penetrated into the pillared hall
underneath the dark green dome of the majestic firs. It was very cold,
but to me it appeared only like the refreshing sting of a cold bath.
Without going to sleep again, I lay motionless, every muscle relaxed,
while the sun climbed higher. As it did so, the air grew warmer, the
scent of the pines became stronger, while the earthy smell of the
ground suggested the new life of spring and the stirring of sap in the
growths around me.
 
Toward eleven, an early bumble-bee paid me a visit of inspection, and
took himself off again after the bungling fashion of his tribe. The
cooing of wood-pigeons close to me assured me of my perfect solitude.
Once a kestrel flashed across the ditch and disappeared with a startled
twist of wings and tail on catching sight of me. The roar of guns miles
away seemed louder and louder, but the sound was not near enough to
merit any attention on my part.
 
When the ditch was in the full light of the sun, I rolled out of my
coverings to spend a most glorious day in perfect contentment, eating a
little, husbanding my water as well as I could, smoking, and looking at
my maps. The next night I hoped would see me across the border. I meant
to pass through a village about four miles down the road, and--but
that does not matter. What mattered was that I forgot that the day was
Saturday, and that people would be likely to remain about much longer
than on ordinary week-days.
 
The shadows were meeting in the shelter of the woods when I worked
my way back to the road. Tiny night-prowlers were already following
their business and either scampered noisily away, or froze into the
immobility of fear, as my clumsy feet crashed through their domain.
From behind some bushes close to it I watched the white ribbon of the
road until it was almost blotted out by the darkness, and then set
forth.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER VII
 
FAILURE
 
 
My water-bottle wanted filling. A spring bubbling up by the roadside
gave me the opportunity. That was a mile or so down the road. I had
got again into the swinging stride of the night before, and the few
miles to the village of Vehlen were soon covered. A sudden turn of the
road near it brought me opposite a building looking like a flour-mill.
An electric light was blazing at its corner. On the other side of the
road its rays were reflected by the oily ripples on a large pond, the
farther side of which was hidden in the darkness.
 
Perhaps the strain and loneliness of the last few days were telling
upon me without my being aware of it. At any rate, I did not realize
that the light was a danger-signal flaunted by Providence into my very
face. It never occurred to me that on seeing it I ought to get off
the road at once and work around the village across-country. Instead,
with the experience of last night at the back of my mind, I held on
stubbornly and never realized my folly until I was fairly in the main
street.
 
Most of the houses were lighted and a number of street lamps going.
Several people were passing between houses. It was too late to turn
back when I saw what I had done. Two old men in front of me, whom I
had caught up with, caused me to adapt my pace to theirs so as not to
pass them. They turned a corner, I after them, when from the opposite
direction a bicycle appeared. The rays of its lamp blinded me. I dared
not look back when it had passed, but hurried on as fast as I could
short of running. After an eternity of a few minutes somebody jumped
off a bicycle at my shoulder, having come up noiselessly from behind. He touched me.

댓글 없음: