2015년 7월 26일 일요일

My Escape from Germany 9

My Escape from Germany 9



“Who are you?” An armed soldier stood before me.
 
I gave a name.
 
“Where do you come from?”
 
“I belong to Düsseldorf.”
 
“So. Where do you come from now?”
 
“From Borken.”
 
“But you are not on the road from Borken!”
 
I knew that, but no other name had occurred to me. What I ought to have
said was “Bocholt,” I think.
 
“I am not bound to follow what you call the direct road, and, anyway,
what do you mean by stopping me and questioning me in this fashion?”
 
“Where are you bound for?”
 
For want of anything better, I created the imaginary country house of
an imaginary noble.
 
“Don’t know it,” said the soldier, eyeing me doubtfully and scratching
his head.
 
By this time a crowd had collected around us. Additions to it, mostly
children, were shooting full speed round the nearest corners, as I saw
out of the corner of my eye, helm hard a-port and leaning sideways
to negotiate the turn. But I was already hemmed in by four or five
stalwarts. Outside the crowd a small man was dancing excitedly up and
down demanding that I be taken before the Amtmann, the head of the
village. This man turned out to be the village doctor, the cyclist who
had passed me. “What a disagreeable, foxy face the chap has,” flashed
through my mind. The soldier was obviously still in doubt about me, but
was overruled in spite of all the arguments I could think of.
 
With the soldier by my side, two stalwarts in front and three behind,
and surrounded by the throng, I was marched through the streets. We
drew up before a farmlike building, and politely but firmly I was
urged to enter. We went into a big room on the ground floor. Two desks,
several chairs and tables, and file cabinets made up the furniture. A
telephone was attached to the wall next the door.
 
A young man jumped up from his chair in front of one of the desks, and
he, and those who had entered with me, regarded me suspiciously for a
moment without speaking. Then the young man--he seemed a clerk--caught
sight of the binoculars half concealed under my coat lapels. With the
shout, “He is a spy!” he rushed upon me, and with a quick movement of
his hand tore open my coat and waistcoat.
 
“Here, keep your dirty paws off me!” I grunted angrily.
 
He stepped back. At this moment the Amtmann came in, a young and
gentlemanly looking chap. My assailant at once collapsed in a chair,
and tried to assume a judicial attitude with pen in hand and paper in
front of him. Then they searched me, and the fat was in the fire. There
was, of course, no sense in continuing the bluffing game, when maps,
compasses, and some letters addressed to me in Ruhleben were on the
table. I had carried the latter as additional evidence of my identity
for the British consul, should I get through. What they did not find
was my British passport. That was cunningly, I think, and successfully
concealed.
 
The business part of the performance being over, they became more
genial. The Amtmann asked me whether or not I was hungry. “No.” Should
I like a cup of coffee? “I should, and a smoke, please.” With the aid
of two cups of coffee and three of my cigarettes, I pulled myself
together as best I might.
 
The soldier who had stopped me was in the highest of spirits about
the big catch he thought he had made, and obviously wanted all the
credit to himself. Perhaps he expected the usual leave granted for
the apprehension of fugitive prisoners of war, and the ten or fifteen
marks of monetary recognition. In his anxiety to establish his claim,
he forgot all about the indecision and hesitancy he had shown to start
with.
 
“I knew you immediately for an Englander! That nose of yours!”
 
I have the most ordinary face and nose, and I am of no particular type,
but I nodded with deep understanding.
 
“Where did you intend crossing the frontier?” he rattled on.
 
I pointed it out to him on the map lying on the table.
 
“You’d never have got across there,” he vouchsafed triumphantly. “In
addition to the ordinary sentries and patrols, there are dogs and
cavalry patrols at that point, and to the north of it.”
 
If only I could have got that information under different circumstances!
 
“What beautiful maps you’ve got, and what a fine compass! Would
it--would it--would you think me cheeky if I asked you for it as a
memento?”
 
Considering that it would be lost to me anyway, I expressed my pleasure
at being able to gratify his desire. And then the Amtmann gave me to
understand that it was time to be locked up.
 
The interview at the office had lasted some time, and the noses which
had flattened themselves against the outside of the windows had
decreased in number. Still, there was a fairly strong guard of adults
and children to accompany us to the village lockup.
 
This was a small building consisting only of one floor. Here I observed
for the first time another small man with sharp features who unlocked
the door. It was, of course, dark about us, and at this distance it is
difficult to determine what I saw then and what I learned in the course
of the following day.
 
We entered through a big door into a place where a fire-engine--a
hand-pump--was standing. A door on the left having been unlocked, the
Amtmann and the small man preceded me through it. The light of their
electric torches revealed a cell, with a sort of bed along one side,
consisting of a straw paillasse on some raised boards and two blankets
rolled up at the foot of it.
 
They had left me in possession of my overcoat, oilskins, oilsilk, and
sweater, so I should be all right, though the night was very cold.
Alone in the cell in pitch darkness, I heard the key turn in the lock,
the footfalls recede, the outer door close; then all was silent.
 
As my eyes grew accustomed to the darkness, I could make out a
small window at my right, shoulder-high, and traversed by the black
streaks of three vertical iron bars. The cell was so dark that I had
the impression of being in a vast black hall. I took three steps
forward and rapped my nose against the wall. Very miserable and much
disappointed, almost in despair, I groped to the window and shook the
bars with all my strength. They were firm and unyielding. Feeling my
way to the bed, I put on all my things, disdaining the blankets, which
felt filthy, then lay down and was soon asleep.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER VIII
 
A NEW HOPE
 
 
I awoke, much refreshed, just before the clock from the church steeple
chimed six. For some time I lay quiet, groping my way back into
reality. When the recollection of my last-night’s disaster drifted back
into my brain, I felt almost physically sick with disappointment and
rage, until awakening determination came to my help. “No use repining.
Is there no way to repair the damage? Hullo! it’s Sunday to-day.
Sunday! A village jail can’t be so awfully strong! I’ll be moved
to-day, though. Will they take me away in a car? Those gendarmes aren’t
easily fooled! But, after all, it’s Sunday. Perhaps that’s a reason why
they won’t move me!” The idea took such a hold on me that I was up in a
jiffy.
 
The cell, as I could see now, was square and very small, four paces
across. The only article of furniture was the bed, which took up about
one third of the floor space. There was nothing else in the room.
The window was in the wall opposite the bed, the door on the right.
The former was strongly barred, as I knew already. Moreover, several
ladders hung in front of it along the outside of the wall. The door
seemed fairly strong and was made of rough boards. So was the ceiling.
A beam extended from above the window to the opposite wall. The ceiling
boards at right angles did not run through from wall to wall but
terminated on top of the beam, as could be seen from their different
widths on each side of it. Standing on the bed, I could place my hands
flat against them without stretching my arms to the full. In one place
above it, and near the left wall looking toward the window, a splinter
had come away from the edge of a board. Although the wood at that point
showed signs of dry-rot, I did not investigate it thoroughly just then.
 
It was a great find, I thought at the time, when I discovered under the
bed a big piece of timber, the sawn-off end of a beam, about three feet
long. To pounce upon it and hide it under the paillasse was the work of
seconds. It would furnish an excellent battering-ram.
 
Up to now I had depended upon my ears to warn me of anybody’s coming.
After the discovery of the battering-ram, I made sure, by trying to get
a glimpse of the next room through cracks in the door, that nobody was
watching me. A part of the fire-engine could be seen, and on it a clean
cup and saucer. “Somebody must have been in that room to-day! Nobody
would have placed it there last night. Besides, I didn’t see anybody
carrying anything. Couldn’t have been done while I was awake. Better go
slow!”
 
Outside the window was a kitchen-garden with some fruit-trees. To the
right, the corner of a house and a pigsty with a solitary undersized
occupant terminated the view. My horizon was bounded by the roofs of a
few houses which stood behind trees.
 
It was past seven o’clock when I heard the key turn in the outer
door. Soon the door of my cell flew open, and in marched the short,
sharp-featured man of the night before, with a pot of coffee, a cup
and saucer, and something done up in paper, which turned out to be
excellent bread and butter. Butter, mind you! With him entered a
very young soldier, who nonchalantly sat down on my bed to survey me
gravely. Around the opening of the door clustered the elder boys of the
village, pushing and straining. Behind them were the girls, giggling
and whispering nervously. All devoured me with their eyes. In the
rear were the small fry. They overflowed into the street, where the
urchins, feeling perfectly safe from the bad man inside, indulged in
catcalls and disparaging shouts at my expense, while I had breakfast. I
chatted the while with the man whom I shall call the warder, although
he probably had many functions in the village. My efforts to obtain
information from him as to whether or not I was likely to be taken away that day proved unsuccessful.

댓글 없음: