2017년 1월 2일 월요일

The Goddess of Reason 35

The Goddess of Reason 35



CÉLESTE
 
Séraphine would come
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Patience, Citoyennes,
No haste! I’ve just a little word to speak
Unto monseigneur there.
 
CÉLESTE
 
Monseigneur!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Oh,
The Citoyen Vardes! You know my tripping tongue.
 
NANON (_to the turnkey_)
 
Where is that ci-devant men once did call
La belle Marquise?
 
THE TURNKEY
 
‘Tis she who dances there,
Fair-haired and dressed in violet.
 
NANON
 
Awhile
I’ll watch her dance.
 
CÉLESTE
 
Their cheeks are pale.
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
They smile.
I would not smile if I were they.
 
[NANON, CÉLESTE, _and_ ANGÉLIQUE _watch the
dancers_. SÉRAPHINE _approaches_ DE VARDES.
 
SÉRAPHINE (_in a low voice_)
 
Monseigneur!
 
DE VARDES
 
Séraphine Robin, I believe?
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Saint Yves!
Now just to think! Monseigneur knows my name!
Eh! Morbec was my home for many a year.
When all is said and done, Home is just Home,
Hut or châteauand always the De Vardes
Were lords of Morbec did they good or ill!
Most like ‘twas illbut they were proper men!
And when they smiled we always said ‘twas day;
And old men saybut it was long ago
A baron lived was named René the Good!
Saint Gil! Monseigneur gave us back Lisette.
Saint Maudez! ‘Tis a dangerous thing, but see!
 
[_She takes from her bosom a silken purse._
 
Eh, monseigneur, ‘tis yours! Take it! Quick, quick,
Before Célestethe baggage!turns her head!
 
[_She thrusts the purse into his hand._
 
DE VARDES
 
From whom?
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Look in it! You will see. ‘Tis gold.
 
DE VARDES
 
Gold!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
And something more.Here is Angélique!
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
AristocratThat ring upon thy finger
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Out!
 
DE VARDES
 
Not yet, Citoyenne!
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
Then afterwards!
I’ll have it at the trenches or the Loire!
 
[_She rejoins_ CÉLESTE _and_ NANON. _They watch the
dancers._
 
DE L’ORIENT
 
NicoleLucilleCléonte
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
My errand’s done
Look in the purse, monseigneur, look at once!
 
DE L’ORIENT
 
La, la, la, la!
 
DE VARDES
 
I have no need of gold.
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Look, monseigneur!
 
DE VARDES
 
Again, from whom?
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
A friend.
 
DE VARDES
 
I have no friend in Nantes. Take back thy purse!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
It is not mine, the pretty, silken thing!
I swore that I would leave it, so I will!
And I was told to tell you, “Look within.”
 
[NANON _approaches_.
 
NANON
 
In Nantes one is Suspect when one is seen
Whispering in shadows with Aristocrats!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
Nothing I said you might not hear, Nanon!
Come, come away!
(_To_ DE VARDES _as she turns from him_.) Monseigneur, have a care!
 
[SÉRAPHINE, NANON, CÉLESTE, _and_ ANGÉLIQUE
_watch the dancers. A grating sound is heard without
the door to the left of the altar. The turnkeys
move aside, the door opens and discloses a passage
lined with gaolers and soldiers._
 
_Enter_ GRÉGOIRE _with three or four Patriots. They wear
great boots, plumed hats, sashes of tricolour, sabres and
pistols._
 
DE L’ORIENT
 
La, la, la, la, la!
 
GRÉGOIRE
 

댓글 없음: