2017년 1월 2일 월요일

The Goddess of Reason 36

The Goddess of Reason 36


GRÉGOIRE
 
Citoyen, you!
 
DE BUC
 
Promotion, by God!
Messieurs, mesdames, I have marching orders!
(_To the Actress and_ MLLE. DE CHÂTEAU-GUI.) I cannot play Dorante!
Is’t not a shame?
De L’Orient there must take my partAdieu!
(_To_ THE MARQUISE.) Ah, Dorimène, you’ll let me kiss your hand?
 
THE MARQUISE
 
Monsieur, monsieur
 
DE BUC (_to_ DE VARDES)
 
I’m breaking camp.
 
DE VARDES
 
Ma foi!
We’ll meet at the end of the march, my friend!
Meantime I’ll tell thee that Bouillé once said,
“Brave as a Gascon, or Fauquemont de Buc!”
 
DE BUC
 
Did he so? Old Bouillé!
 
[_He salutes._
 
My Colonel!
 
DE VARDES
 
Captain de Buc!
 
[DE BUC _mounts the step into the choir and passes
out of the door, between the lines of soldiers. There
is heard the voice of the mob in the square without._
 
DE L’ORIENT
 
Away with Melancholy!
The curtain’s up, the play begins! Grégoire,
My name is Thalia! Is’t on thy list?
 
GRÉGOIRE (_his eyes upon the paper in his hand_)
 
No, Citoyen.
 
DE L’ORIENT
 
Another lifetime here!
 
COUNT LOUIS
 
A golden louis to a paper franc,
The next is Château-Gui!
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
No, Château-Gui,
You are reserved.
 
COUNT LOUIS (_taking snuff_)
 
Why, that is welcome news!
Eh, my daughter, we will not miss the play!
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
The Citoyen Charles Le Blanc.
 
LE BLANC
 
What damned star
Flared and went out the night that I was born?
 
[_Exit_ LE BLANC.
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
Hervé Rauderendec, called the Breton!
 
THE BRETON
 
Good people all, it has been pleasant here,
But now the tide draws to the fullAdieu!
I must make sail!
 
[_Exit the Breton._
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
The Citoyenne Gérard.
 
THE ACTRESS
 
I?
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
Delphine Gérard.
 
THE ACTRESS
 
Oh, I knew, I knew
The butterfly that touched me was ill luck!
I named it Hope,it fled, it fled away!
 
THE ABBÉ
 
We’re loth to let you go, Delphine Gérard.
 
THE ACTRESS
 
There is no choiceI have my cue, you see!
And after all the play’s a tragedy.
 
[_Exit the Actress._
 
CÉLESTE
 
‘Tis better worth our while across the square!
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
‘Tis so! Let’s to the Judgment Hall.
 
NANON
 
Agreed.
Come, Séraphine!
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
I’ll follow presently.
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
Do not delay. We’ll keep a place for you!
 
[_Exeunt_ NANON, CÉLESTE, _and_ ANGÉLIQUE.
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
The Citoyenne Vaucourt.
 
MME. DE VAUCOURT
 
Children, children!
Your father’s calling me from Paradise!
Thérèse, Philippe, farewell, farewell, farewell!
Oh, clasp me close and kiss!Forget me not!
Yes, yes, I’ll buy the bonbons and the doll!
I’ll not forget
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
The boy goes with you.
 
MME. DE VAUCOURT (_wildly_)
 
With me! He’s but a babe! Not eight till June!
 
THE BOY (_clinging to her_)
 
To the toy-shop, mother!
 
MME. DE VAUCOURT
 
Oh, yes, child, yes!
To the toy-shop!
 
[_They go out together._
 
GRÉGOIRE
 
Maria Innocenta Sombreuil!
 
[_A young girl in the habit of a Carmelite novice

댓글 없음: