2017년 1월 2일 월요일

The Goddess of Reason 45

The Goddess of Reason 45



Have done!
 
COUNT LOUIS
 
Anjou, Lorraine!
 
THE CROWD
 
Ahhh!
 
COUNT LOUIS
 
Bourbon and Valois!
 
[_Uproar in the hall._ MLLE. DE CHÂTEAU-GUI
_clings to her father’s arm_.
 
Forbidden words! Well, well, my child, I’m done!
My breath is out.Forbidden words! Ma foi!
‘Tis to my taste to deal in contraband!
 
[_The First Judge rings the bell violently. The tumult
subsides._
 
A GAOLER
 
Château-Gui, take place beside the priest!
 
THE ABBÉ
 
Ah,
Monsieur le Comte!
 
COUNT LOUIS
 
Monsieur l’Abbé!
 
[_He offers his snuff-box._
 
FIRST JUDGE
 
The next.
 
_Enter_ YVETTE. _The crowd murmurs as it makes way._
 
THE CROWD
 
Yvette Charruel!
 
A MAN
 
Goddess of Reason!
 
[YVETTE _mounts the stair to the gallery and sits beside_
SÉRAPHINE.
 
CÉLESTE
 
So pale!
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
No rose?
 
NANON
 
Only her lips are red.
 
CÉLESTE
 
So heavy-eyed?
 
YVETTE
 
I have not slept.
 
A YOUNG GIRL (_near her_)
 
Oh, oh,
Thy voice! ‘Tis like a violin playing!
 
ANGÉLIQUE
 
I know thou didst not sleep.How looked the Loire
Beneath the moon last night?
 
YVETTE
 
Much as ‘twill look
Beneath the moon to-night.
 
[_With her chin upon her hand she studies the throng
below._
 
SÉRAPHINE
 
The prisoners
 
YVETTE
 
Who rises there?
 
FIRST JUDGE
 
Thou ci-devant, De Vardes!
 
THE CROWD
 
De Vardes! De Vardes! Aristocrat! De Vardes!
 
DE VARDES
 
Rémond Lalain
 
LALAIN
 
René de Vardes.
 
DE VARDES
 
This court
Pray you conceive it is some greensward trim,
My cartel sent, received, the duel fought,
And thou the victor, since so wags the world,
Heart’s blood of mine upon thy rapier dark!
And I the vanquished in the sight of men,
Drowsing to death upon the bloody sod.
And all this folk but seconds, witnesses,
They are not here, nor there; we are the men!
Now, seeing death hath some prerogative,
I charge thee stand, antagonist! nor leave
This sunny field with thy triumphant friends
Until I bid thee go!
 
LALAIN
 
I hear!
(_To the crowd._) Silence!
 
DE VARDES
 
When I do think that once I called thee friend,
My wonder grows! The orchard’s blooming now
Where we did lie at length on summer eves
The while the mavis sang and sea winds blew,
And to the nodding clover droned the bee,
Two striplings couched beneath an apple tree,
Talking of knights at arms and paladins
And what we each would dare in worthy cause!
That brow of thine was not so swarthy then,
Thine eyes were frank, we read from the same book
The deeds of Palmerin and Amadis.
Then up we lightly rose and went our way,
Hand touching hand,Orestes, Pylades!
I, Jonathan the Prince, and David thou!
The figure holds, for Jonathan will die,
But wilt thou mourn him, David? No, I say!
Nor o’er his kingdom shalt thou reign, Rémond!
 
LALAIN
 
René
 
DE VARDES
 
I am, monsieur, the Baron of Morbec!
 
THE CROWD
 
Ah!
 
LALAIN
 
Silence!
(_To_ DE VARDES.) As thou wilt! He is long dead
That youth thou namest David.
 
DE VARDES
 
Ay, Citoyen,
He slew himself. I see his punishment.
 
LALAIN

댓글 없음: