2016년 1월 22일 금요일

The Lions Whelp 49

The Lions Whelp 49



"Yes. Ayrton found out that he stayed half-an-hour at a little inn
fourteen miles beyond Paris to have his horse fed and watered. One of
the women at this house described him perfectly, and added that as he
waited he was singing softly to himself, a thing so likely, and so like
Cluny, that it leaves no doubt in my mind of his identity; and that he
was really there ’between gloaming and moonshine’ on the eleventh of
last November. Beyond that all is blanka deaf and dumb blank."
 
"How far was it to the next house?"
 
"Only two or three miles; but no one there remembered anything that
passed on that night. They said that horsemen in plenty, and very often
carriages, were used to pass that way, but that unless they stopped for
entertainment, no attention was paid to travelers."
 
"Who was the gentleman who visited Cluny and received his letters?"
 
"Menzies of Musselburg, an old friend of Neville’s mother. Ayrton went
to Scotland to question him, but to no purpose."
 
"Then I suppose we shall see no more of Lord Neville. I am very sorry.
He was a good youth, and he loved Jane Swaffham very honestly. And my
jewels, too, are gone, and if it were worth while, I could be sorry for
them also; one set was of great value and singular workmanship. But
they count for little in comparison with Neville’s life and little
Jane’s sorrow."
 
A week after this evening the Jeverys were in their own house, and
Matilda had sent word to Jane Swaffham that she wanted to see her. Why
she did this, she hardly knew. Her motives were much mixed, but the
kindly ones predominated. At any rate, they did so when the grave
little woman entered her presence. For she came to meet Matilda with
outstretched hands and her old sweet smile, and she expressed all her
usual interest in whatever concerned Matilda. Had she met her weeping
and complaining, Matilda felt she would almost have hated her. But
there was nothing about Jane suggestive of the great sorrow through
which she was passing. Her eyes alone told of her soul’s travail; the
lids drooped, and there was that dark shadow in them, which only comes
through the incubation of some long, anxious grief in the heart. But
her smile was as ready and sweet, her manner as sympathetic, her dress
as carefully neat and appropriate as it had always been.
 
Matilda fell readily under the charm of such a kind and self-effacing
personality. She opened her heart on various subjects to Jane, more
especially on Anthony Lynn’s dramatic life and death, and the money and
land he had left her. "Of course," she said, "it is only temporary.
When the King comes home, Stephen will be Earl de Wick, and I shall
willingly resign all to him. In the meantime I intend to carry out
Anthony’s plans for the improvement of the estate; and for this end, I
shall have to live a great deal at de Wick. Lynn often said to me,
’Some one must own the land, and the person who owns it ought to live on
it.’"
 
When this subject had been talked well over, Jane named cautiously the
lover in France. Much to her surprise, Matilda seemed pleased to
enlarge on the topic. She spoke herself of Prince Rupert, and of the
poverty and suffering Charles’ Court, were enduring, and she regretted
with many strong __EXPRESSION__s Rupert’s presence there. "All he makes is
swallowed up in the bottomless Stuart pit," she said; "even my youth and
beauty have gone the same hopeless road."
 
"Not your beauty, Matilda. I never saw you look lovelier than you do
to-day."
 
"That I credit to Cymlin," she answered. "He would not let me mopeyou
know how masterful he is"and Matilda laughed and put her hands over her
ears; "he _made_ me go riding and walking, _made_ me plant and gather,
_made_ me fish and hawk, _made_ me sing and play and read aloud to him.
And I have taught him a galliard and a minuet, and we have had a very
happy summeron the whole. Happiness breeds beauty."
 
"Poor Cymlin!"
 
"There is no need to say ’poor Cymlin,’ Jane Swaffham. I am not going to
abuse poor Cymlin. He is to be my neighbour, and I hope my catechism
has taught me what my duty to my neighbour is. Is it true that Will and
Tonbert have thrown their lives and fortunes into the Massachusetts
Colony?"
 
"Yes," answered Jane; "and if my parents were willing, I would like to
join them. The letters they send make you dream of Paradise. They have
bought a dukedom of land, father says, hills and valleys and streams,
and the great sea running up to their garden wall."
 
"Garden?"
 
"Yes, they have begun to build and to plant. There is no whisper of
their return, for they are as content as if they had found the Fortunate
Islands. Father is much impressed with their experience, and I can see
he ponders it like one who might perhaps share it. I am sure he would
leave England, if the Protector died."
 
"Or the King came back?"
 
"Yes. He would never live under a Stuart."
 
"The poor luckless Stuarts! They are all luckless, Jane. I have felt
it. I have drunk of their cup of disappointments, and really the
happiest time of my life has been the past summer, when I put them out
of my memoryking and prince, and all that followed them. Had it not
been for your kind note of warning, Stephen also had been a sacrifice to
their evil fate. It has to be propitiated with a life now and then,
just like some old dragon or devil."
 
"There was a queer story about Stephen robbing the mail, and tearing up
the three warrants for the arrest of Blythe and Mason and himself," said
Jane.
 
"Did you believe that, Jane?"
 
"The mail was robbed. The warrants were never found. Stephen has a
daredevil temper at times. I think, too, he would risk much to save his
friends. When did you hear from him?"
 
"I hear very often now, Jane, for it is the old, old storymoney, money,
money. The King is hungry and thirsty; he has no clothes; he cannot pay
his washing bill; he has no shoes to go out in, and his ’dear brother,’
King Louis of France, is quite oblivious. In fact he has made, or is
going; to make, an alliance with Cromwell; and the Stuarts, bag and
baggage, are to leave French territory. But for all that, I am not
going to strip de Wick a second time for them;" then drawing Jane close
to her, and taking her hand she said with an impulsive tenderness
 
"Jane, dear Jane, I do not wish to open a wound afresh, but I am sorry
for you, I am indeed! How can you bear it?"
 
"I have cast over it the balm of prayer; I have shut it up in my heart,
and given my heart to God. I have said to God, ’Do as Thou wilt with
me.’ I am content; and I have found a light in sorrow, brighter than
all the flaring lights of joy."
 
"Then you believe him to be dead?"
 
"Yes. There is no help against such a conclusion; and yet, Matilda,
there comes to me sometimes, such an instantaneous, penetrating sense of
his presence, that I must believe he is not far away;" and her confident
heart’s still fervour, her tremulous smile, her eyes like clear water
full of the sky, affected Matilda with the same apprehending. "My soul
leans and hearkens after him," she continued; "and life is so short and
so full of duty, it may be easily, yes, cheerfully, borne a few years.
My cup is still full of lovehome love, and friends’ love; Cluny’s love
is safe, and we shall meet again, when life is over."
 
"Will you know? Will he know? What if you _both_ forget? What if you
cannot find him? Have you ever thought of what multitudes there will be
there?"
 
"Yes; a great crowd that no man can numbera throng of worldsbut love
will bring the beloved. Love hath everlasting remembrance."
 
"Love is a cruel joy! a baseless dream! a great tragedy! a lingering
death!"
 
"No, no, no! Love is the secret of life. Love redeems us. Love lifts
us up. Love is a ransom. The tears of love are a prayer. I let them
fall into my hands, and offer them a willing sacrifice to Him who gave
me love. For living or dead, Cluny is mine, mine forever." And there
was such a haunting sweetness about the chastened girl, that Matilda
looked round wonderingly; it was as if there were freshly gathered
violets in the room.
 
She remained silent, and Jane, after a few minutes’ pause, said, "I must
go home, now, and rest a little. To-morrow I am bid to Hampton Court,
and I am not as strong as I was a year ago. Little journeys tire me."
 
"And you will come and tell me all about your visit. The world turned
upside down is an entertaining spectacle. By my troth, I am glad to see
it at second hand! Ann Clarges the market-woman in one palace, and
Elizabeth Cromwell in another——"
 
"The Cromwells are my friends, Matilda. And I will assure you that
Hampton Court never saw a more worthy queen than Elizabeth Cromwell."
 
"I have a saucy tongue, Janedo not mind when it backbites; there is no
one like you. I love you well!"These words with clasped hands and
kisses between the two girls. Then Matilda’s face became troubled, and
she sat down alone, with her brows drawn together and her hands tightly
clasped. "What shall I do?" she asked herself, and she could not
resolve on her answer; not, at least, while swayed by the gentle,
truthful atmosphere with which Jane had suffused the room. This
influence, however, was soon invaded by her own personality, dominant,
and not unselfish, and she quickly reasoned away all suggestions but
those which guarded her own happiness and comfort.
 
"If I tell about the duel with Rupert," she thought, "it can do no good
to the dead, and it may make scandal and annoyance for the living.
Cromwell will take hold of it, and demand not only the jewels and money
and papers, but also the body of Neville. That will make more ill
feeling to the Stuarts, and it is manifest they are already very
unwelcome with the French Court. It will be excuse for further
unkindness, and they have enough and more than enough to bear."
 
For a long time she sat musing in this strain, battling down intrusive
doubts, until at last she was forced to give them speech. She did so
impatiently, feeling herself compelled to rise and walk rapidly up and
down the room, because motion gave her a sense of resistance to the
thoughts threatening to overwhelm her.
 
"Did Rupert kill Neville?" she asked herself. "Oh, me, I do fear it.
And if so, I am to blame! I am to blame! I told Rupert Neville was
going to take charge of my aunt’s jewels. Why was I such a fool? And
Rupert knew that Neville had papers Charles Stuart would like to see,
and money he would like to have. Oh, the vile, vile coin! I do fear
the man was slain for itand by Rupert. He lied to me, then; of course
he lied; but that was no new thing for him to do. He has lied a
thousand times to me, and when found out only laughed, or said ’twas for
my ease and happiness, or that women could not bear the truth, or some
such trash of words; and so I was kissed and flattered out of my
convictions. Faith in God! but I have been a woman fit for his
laughter! What shall I do?" She went over and over this train of
thought, and ended always with the same irresolute, anxious question,"What shall I do?"

댓글 없음: